LDS Garments: Why I Want Out of This Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    I have no idea if made-at-home-garments are a no-no because no one ever talks about it. I assume the pioneers made their own by just putting marks on their existing underwear. I'm not sure why we couldn't do the same. If a bishop or other leader made a stink about it I'd just ask what the difference is between homemade garments and church produced garments. As long as the marks are in the right place I see no reason to worry. Change in the church comes from the bottom up, not the top down.
    As a church with a focus on provident living and learning to provide for ourselves, I can't imagine there not being a means for people to produce their own. I mean, what about that guy in East Germany who kept his tithing in a jar for 20 years until his home teachers came for a visit. I mean - do they expect him to wear the same underwear for 20 years?

And no one seems to ever say anything about the impropriety of a home teacher accepting tithing from the man - I think officially only a member of the bishopric is supposed to do that.

So I imagine 50 years from now the story will be about how someone was so faithful that they even made their own garments to make sure they had them.

Not completely off topic - as a fan of provident living myself, is there a big difference between sending something in to be printed by that company versus taking a sharpie to whatever it is that needs marking and doing it myself?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
      I forwarded the link to a friend who works at Beehive. She started freaking out.
      We all expect you to follow up and report back.
      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
      Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
        We all expect you to follow up and report back.
        She just came back with, "Only the First Presidency can authorize screen printed markings!"

Not very exciting.

Comment

She just came back with, "Only the First Presidency can authorize screen printed markings!"

Not very exciting.
          The people behind that site are going to be exed becasue of you. Hope you're proud.
          "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            I have no idea if made-at-home-garments are a no-no because no one ever talks about it. I assume the pioneers made their own by just putting marks on their existing underwear. I'm not sure why we couldn't do the same. If a bishop or other leader made a stink about it I'd just ask what the difference is between homemade garments and church produced garments. As long as the marks are in the right place I see no reason to worry. Change in the church comes from the bottom up, not the top down.
            Surely there's a pun about garments in there somewhere...
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
              Surely there's a pun about garments in there somewhere...
              I'm sure you can wedgie one in there.
              Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Not very exciting.
                Ask her for a reference (even non-scriptural (Ensign, JoD, etc.) will do).
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Not very exciting.
                  boring.

I don't understand Mormon attitudes toward the garment. I get that it represents something sacred, but it's not like the design itself is sacred, or even inspired. IMO if people are uncomfortable with or have needs that aren't met by the options presented by beehive clothing then they should feel free to use their own common sense and do what they need to make it work for them. It seems like this website provides some options for people.

As an aside I think that it's important to recognize that using the garment as a means to ensure modesty among Mormons was never intended by Joseph when he introduced it. That it has become such now seems to me to be a perversion of it, even an abuse of priesthood authority.
                  Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                  God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                  Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                    I'm sure you can wedgie one in there.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Of course the Church wants to control garment production. They don't make money off G's; they make money off control of access to their purchase, which costs you less than making them yourself and 10% of your annual increase.
                      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• A non member acquaintance I once knew, asked if I wore the special underwear. I said yes. He asked why. I said, I already planned on wearing underwear, so I just figured that wearing underwear that reminded me to be my best self was an even better idea. That seemed to satisfy him, and the weirdness of garments seemed diminished.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                          A non member acquaintance I once knew, asked if I wore the special underwear. I said yes. He asked why. I said, I already planned on wearing underwear, so I just figured that wearing underwear that reminded me to be my best self was an even better idea. That seemed to satisfy him, and the weirdness of garments seemed diminished.
                          If everyone chose their underwear based on that, I don't think any woman would be wearing garments.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
                          "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

• Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                            The people behind that site are going to be exed becasue of you. Hope you're proud.
                            Damn... I hope they returned the "garments" I sent them.
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Not very exciting.
                              Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              Ask her for a reference (even non-scriptural (Ensign, JoD, etc.) will do).
                              Handbook of Instruction #1, Section 3.4.2 states, "The distribution and sale of garments requires the authorization of the First Presidency."

Since they are not selling garments (just adding symbols to your clothing) and not distributing garments (just returning the clothing you sent them) it seems they found a nice loophole.
                              "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
                                Handbook of Instruction #1, Section 3.4.2 states, "The distribution and sale of garments requires the authorization of the First Presidency."

Since they are not selling garments (just adding symbols to your clothing) and not distributing garments (just returning the clothing you sent them) it seems they found a nice loophole.
                                I cannot read a sealed book
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X