LDS Garments: Why I Want Out of This Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
    Believe me, I've been thinking VERY seriously about it lately and today was frustrating enough that I'm thinking about it even more seriously. I think my heart would be in the right place.
    Oh yeah, you said that in your first comment.

You heart is clearly in the right place. I hereby give you internet-based permission.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

You'd think all the Republicans in the Church would be calling for some healthy competition in the garment making market.
      "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
      "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
      "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

I liked YOhio's post in the "If you could have the ear of an apostle for 10 minutes..." thread:
        Garments. C'mon. Wouldn't a necklace or bracelet suffice?
        http://cougaruteforum.com/showpost.p...44&postcount=5

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
          You will have to learn to lie to your bishop if you want to attend weddings in the temple, etc. If you can handle that, then you're fine.

Think about it this way. Does a bishop really have a right to an honest answer about your underwear? I think he does not.
          Do you believe the leaders are inspired? IS it okay to lie about other questions int he temple recommend?

Comment

Believe me, I've been thinking VERY seriously about it lately and today was frustrating enough that I'm thinking about it even more seriously. I think my heart would be in the right place.

Is this exacerbated by the fact you had a wonderful week in the Caribbean sans the G's? This is when I am most tempted to give up the ghost on them.

Comment

I hated wearing garments especially in summertime. I used to think that if I could just get the symbols tatood in all the right places and wear regular undies I would do it.

For all those still "living up to their covenants" perhaps you could petition for a more permanant vow. Get the tatoos and open up your world to a more comfortable undergarment experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                Is this exacerbated by the fact you had a wonderful week in the Caribbean sans the G's? This is when I am most tempted to give up the ghost on them.
                It certainly didn't help. Any time we were on shore, I was running around in my swimsuit and a sundress. It was glorious.

I feel like a caged bird now.
                "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                  Do you believe the leaders are inspired? IS it okay to lie about other questions int he temple recommend?
                  do you feel like it's right to judge personal decisions made by others? you may not be doing that, but it sure sounds like it
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I feel like a caged bird now.
                    I know that feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                      Like the sabbath I believe the garment was made for man not man for the garment. That said church rules and customs don't leave much room for altering it.
                      This is true, which leaves little wonder as to why some women modify and others just don't wear them.

Mrs. JD Funk, I empathize with you. Women get the short end of the stick when it comes to garments. If only those in charge would realize that women need infinitely more choices and sizes than men do. I was discussing this with my wife as she hates the high rise aspects of garments. She suggested that you look for "petite" bottoms because they don't rise up as high at the waist. Another option (one that her sister in law chose) is to go with the old one piece, it no waist band, but I bet it'd be a devil to go to the bathroom in that one.
                      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                      Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

My great aunt used to cut up her bottoms and turn them into slips. Of course her husband used to run for President of the United States every 4 years, so they were not exactly conventional.

Comment

Interesting. No lace?
                          I just checked on the LDS Catalog site and it looks like the 100% Cotton Chemise G's do not have the lace around the neck.

Standard Chemise
                          These garment tops have a round neckline that is edged in stretch lace, except for the 100 percent cotton tops, which have a cotton-bound neckline
                          "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

Oh Mrs. Funk, I want out of this club too. So bad. I have so many issues with garments, it is difficult to even begin. I will try.

1. The outline of Women's garments show through many shirts. It looks silly. Maybe in Utah where everyone wears them you don't think about it. But outside of zion, it's weird.

Also, since breastfeeding, I stopped wearing the bra over the top. So white shirts are totally out. Either you can see that I am wearing a bra over an undershirt (which is weird) or I wear the bra underneath the markings show through.

2. Like you said, garments prevent me from wearing even modest styles. For example, I have tried on several modest dresses (with sleeves and a skirt passed my knees) that I cannot wear because the arm holes were cut too large and when I lift up my arms you can see garments.

3. May through October in Mississippi--another layer of clothes is the last thing I need.

4. Don't even get me started on "that time of the month." It is impossible to keep a pantyliner in place while wearing garments.

5. They do not fit right and the sizes and quality are inconsistent. I always buy the same size but it's a crapshoot. One thing I can always count on--the waist will be way too high.

Serious question: Who would you write to complain? I wonder if enough women complained changes would be made to their design.
                            What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                            -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by ewth8tr View Post
                              I just checked on the LDS Catalog site and it looks like the 100% Cotton Chemise G's do not have the lace around the neck.
                              True. I have purchased these and they are OK in the winter when you are super casual, but the fabric is very heavy and the sleeves are longer and the neckline is higher. So essentially, they never work with dresses or dressier clothes or in the summer time or with scoop neck shirts or with most of my wardrobe.
                              What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                              -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

As a long time observer and admirer of women, I actually find the garments an enhancement. They increase what could be considered the "forbidden zones" and thus the mystery is increased.
                                Last edited by byu71; 05-19-2010, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X