Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 1161

Thread: LDS Garments: Why I Want Out of This Club

  1. #31
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    27,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
    Believe me, I've been thinking VERY seriously about it lately and today was frustrating enough that I'm thinking about it even more seriously. I think my heart would be in the right place.
    Oh yeah, you said that in your first comment.

    You heart is clearly in the right place. I hereby give you internet-based permission.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  2. #32
    RIP CUF DU Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Holladay
    Posts
    7,443

    Default

    You'd think all the Republicans in the Church would be calling for some healthy competition in the garment making market.
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

  3. #33

    Default

    I liked YOhio's post in the "If you could have the ear of an apostle for 10 minutes..." thread:
    Garments. C'mon. Wouldn't a necklace or bracelet suffice?
    http://cougaruteforum.com/showpost.p...44&postcount=5

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
    You will have to learn to lie to your bishop if you want to attend weddings in the temple, etc. If you can handle that, then you're fine.

    Think about it this way. Does a bishop really have a right to an honest answer about your underwear? I think he does not.
    Do you believe the leaders are inspired? IS it okay to lie about other questions int he temple recommend?

  5. #35
    1 Coach McGuirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Under your skin
    Posts
    12,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
    Believe me, I've been thinking VERY seriously about it lately and today was frustrating enough that I'm thinking about it even more seriously. I think my heart would be in the right place.

    Is this exacerbated by the fact you had a wonderful week in the Caribbean sans the G's? This is when I am most tempted to give up the ghost on them.

  6. #36

    Default

    I hated wearing garments especially in summertime. I used to think that if I could just get the symbols tatood in all the right places and wear regular undies I would do it.

    For all those still "living up to their covenants" perhaps you could petition for a more permanant vow. Get the tatoos and open up your world to a more comfortable undergarment experience.

  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    Is this exacerbated by the fact you had a wonderful week in the Caribbean sans the G's? This is when I am most tempted to give up the ghost on them.
    It certainly didn't help. Any time we were on shore, I was running around in my swimsuit and a sundress. It was glorious.

    I feel like a caged bird now.
    "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Do you believe the leaders are inspired? IS it okay to lie about other questions int he temple recommend?
    do you feel like it's right to judge personal decisions made by others? you may not be doing that, but it sure sounds like it
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
    I feel like a caged bird now.
    I know that feeling.

  10. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    Like the sabbath I believe the garment was made for man not man for the garment. That said church rules and customs don't leave much room for altering it.
    This is true, which leaves little wonder as to why some women modify and others just don't wear them.

    Mrs. JD Funk, I empathize with you. Women get the short end of the stick when it comes to garments. If only those in charge would realize that women need infinitely more choices and sizes than men do. I was discussing this with my wife as she hates the high rise aspects of garments. She suggested that you look for "petite" bottoms because they don't rise up as high at the waist. Another option (one that her sister in law chose) is to go with the old one piece, it no waist band, but I bet it'd be a devil to go to the bathroom in that one.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

    pelagius

  11. #41
    Senior Member Clark Addison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Beautiful South
    Posts
    7,116

    Default

    My great aunt used to cut up her bottoms and turn them into slips. Of course her husband used to run for President of the United States every 4 years, so they were not exactly conventional.

  12. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
    Interesting. No lace?
    I just checked on the LDS Catalog site and it looks like the 100% Cotton Chemise G's do not have the lace around the neck.

    Standard Chemise
    These garment tops have a round neckline that is edged in stretch lace, except for the 100 percent cotton tops, which have a cotton-bound neckline
    "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

  13. #43

    Default

    Oh Mrs. Funk, I want out of this club too. So bad. I have so many issues with garments, it is difficult to even begin. I will try.

    1. The outline of Women's garments show through many shirts. It looks silly. Maybe in Utah where everyone wears them you don't think about it. But outside of zion, it's weird.

    Also, since breastfeeding, I stopped wearing the bra over the top. So white shirts are totally out. Either you can see that I am wearing a bra over an undershirt (which is weird) or I wear the bra underneath the markings show through.

    2. Like you said, garments prevent me from wearing even modest styles. For example, I have tried on several modest dresses (with sleeves and a skirt passed my knees) that I cannot wear because the arm holes were cut too large and when I lift up my arms you can see garments.

    3. May through October in Mississippi--another layer of clothes is the last thing I need.

    4. Don't even get me started on "that time of the month." It is impossible to keep a pantyliner in place while wearing garments.

    5. They do not fit right and the sizes and quality are inconsistent. I always buy the same size but it's a crapshoot. One thing I can always count on--the waist will be way too high.

    Serious question: Who would you write to complain? I wonder if enough women complained changes would be made to their design.
    What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.

    -Teenage Dirtbag

  14. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
    I just checked on the LDS Catalog site and it looks like the 100% Cotton Chemise G's do not have the lace around the neck.
    True. I have purchased these and they are OK in the winter when you are super casual, but the fabric is very heavy and the sleeves are longer and the neckline is higher. So essentially, they never work with dresses or dressier clothes or in the summer time or with scoop neck shirts or with most of my wardrobe.
    What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.

    -Teenage Dirtbag

  15. #45
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,127

    Default

    As a long time observer and admirer of women, I actually find the garments an enhancement. They increase what could be considered the "forbidden zones" and thus the mystery is increased.
    Last edited by byu71; 05-19-2010 at 07:14 PM.

  16. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    As a long time observer and admirer of women, I actually find the garments an enhancement. They increase what could be conisered the "forbidden zones" and thus the mystery is increased.
    lol
    What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.

    -Teenage Dirtbag

  17. #47
    Local Character clackamascoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frog Pond Grange
    Posts
    6,428

    Default

    OK, the Following is TIC, (or is it).

    The purpose of garments is to ward off the aliens. When they abduct people at night, the garments are a "protection" against their unwelcomed probing. If that's a valid reason for wearing garments - count me in!

    When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream


  18. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
    lol
    Ankles were sexy in his day.

  19. #49
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    Ankles were sexy in his day.
    True. In my day ankles were the only part of the body not cover by garments, unless of course you didn't button the flap.

  20. #50
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    What are people's thoughts about altering garments?
    I told my bishop and stake pres last time I went for the TR interview, that I cut the sleeves of my garment shirts because no matter the style the sleeve bunches up in my arm pit.

    I received no objection.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  21. #51
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    27,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I told my bishop and stake pres last time I went for the TR interview, that I cut the sleeves of my garment shirts because no matter the style the sleeve bunches up in my arm pit.

    I received no objection.
    How high up do you cut the sleeves? Are you walking around in muscle g's? If so, awesome.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  22. #52
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
    I feel like a caged bird now.
    Don't bother figuring out why it sings, someone else already did that.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  23. #53
    RIP CUF DU Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Holladay
    Posts
    7,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I told my bishop and stake pres last time I went for the TR interview, that I cut the sleeves of my garment shirts because no matter the style the sleeve bunches up in my arm pit.

    I received no objection.
    I'm guessing they didn't object because you had already failed several other parts of the interview and they figured it was a moot point.
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

  24. #54
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    8,017

    Default

    The place a womans garments look best are lying on the ground next to the bed.

  25. #55
    Senior Member Clark Addison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Beautiful South
    Posts
    7,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    The place a womans garments look best are lying on the ground next to the bed.
    You put them on the ground?

    Heretic.

  26. #56
    Boom Bitches!!! BlueHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DU Ute View Post
    You'd think all the Republicans in the Church would be calling for some healthy competition in the garment making market.
    It's been a while since I bought garments, but I remember them being pretty expensive. I doubt the church is willing to lose the revenue stream.

  27. #57
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DU Ute View Post
    I'm guessing they didn't object because you had already failed several other parts of the interview and they figured it was a moot point.
    lol
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  28. #58
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    27,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
    It's been a while since I bought garments, but I remember them being pretty expensive. I doubt the church is willing to lose the revenue stream.
    They've come down quite a bit since you bought them, then. IIRC they're something like $2 per top/bottom. Much cheaper than the world's underwear.

    Then again, the quality is much lower too.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  29. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
    Oh Mrs. Funk, I want out of this club too. So bad. I have so many issues with garments, it is difficult to even begin. I will try.

    1. The outline of Women's garments show through many shirts. It looks silly. Maybe in Utah where everyone wears them you don't think about it. But outside of zion, it's weird.

    Also, since breastfeeding, I stopped wearing the bra over the top. So white shirts are totally out. Either you can see that I am wearing a bra over an undershirt (which is weird) or I wear the bra underneath the markings show through.

    2. Like you said, garments prevent me from wearing even modest styles. For example, I have tried on several modest dresses (with sleeves and a skirt passed my knees) that I cannot wear because the arm holes were cut too large and when I lift up my arms you can see garments.

    3. May through October in Mississippi--another layer of clothes is the last thing I need.

    4. Don't even get me started on "that time of the month." It is impossible to keep a pantyliner in place while wearing garments.

    5. They do not fit right and the sizes and quality are inconsistent. I always buy the same size but it's a crapshoot. One thing I can always count on--the waist will be way too high.

    Serious question: Who would you write to complain? I wonder if enough women complained changes would be made to their design.
    Honestly, I don't even know. I know plenty of women who would get on board with a letter-writing initiative or something, though.

    I'm tired of not feeling like a human being in my clothes.
    "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

  30. #60
    Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    31,576

    Default

    Mrs. Funk, I'm sorry for you and all women that have to wear g's. They are just much easier for dudes.

    On a semi-related note, given that g's are supposed to promote modest dress, is anyone else shocked by how much rack chick's can show while still wearing them? This always seems strange to me.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •