LDS Garments: Why I Want Out of This Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by falafel View Post
    For a long time people just made their own garments. There's nothing sacred about the cheap fabric and thread the church uses to make garments. Its all in the agreement you make and the symbols representing that agreement.

In fact, I might try this. The crew necks the church makes are much crappier than other white t-shirts I could buy. Perhaps I'll through a few stitches in a few strategic places and rip out the tag. Better yet, I'll just get tagless. this is going to be great!
    Honest question -- I once heard someone say that you don't make a covenant to wear the garment. Is that true?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
      The last time I bought garments (5 months ago?), the tops all still had lace. This is encouraging at least. I think things ARE moving in a better direction with womens' garments, but at a glacial pace it seems.
      iirc, there is still lace around the neckline, but none around the arms. I'll have to do a thorough check when I get home, but I am for sure that my wife was very happy with the new tops she acquired.

On a side note, I wonder who is on the garment approval committee. Do you think they pull in the Relief Society and Young Women's presidents on this one?

Comment

I'm one that is pretty liberal when it comes to wearing them. I can see where they have helped some people from committing sin. I can see where they tie us together as a group. What I can't wrap my mind around is feeling like this is really important to God. When it comes to that Mormon buffet line this is one course I would leave in the bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by scottie View Post
          Honest question -- I once heard someone say that you don't make a covenant to wear the garment. Is that true?
          Um, it doesn't sound true.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Um, it doesn't sound true.
            It kind of surprised me too, but I tried to remember... Do you covenant to wear them? or do they act as "a constant reminder" of the covenants you did make, but no covenant to wear them per se?
            Last edited by scottie; 05-19-2010, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Like the sabbath I believe the garment was made for man not man for the garment. That said church rules and customs don't leave much room for altering it.

Comment

Interesting. No lace?
                It's got a smaller amount of lace around the neck and none on the sleeves. Other than that and the other things unique to the garment, it looks exactly like an undershirt. My wife said that she believes that the style was called chanise (sp?).
                "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

Originally posted by ewth8tr View Post
                  It's got a smaller amount of lace around the neck and none on the sleeves. Other than that and the other things unique to the garment, it looks exactly like an undershirt. My wife said that she believes that the style was called chanise (sp?).
                  Chemise perhaps?
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
                    iirc, there is still lace around the neckline, but none around the arms. I'll have to do a thorough check when I get home, but I am for sure that my wife was very happy with the new tops she acquired.

On a side note, I wonder who is on the garment approval committee. Do you think they pull in the Relief Society and Young Women's presidents on this one?
                    Ah. I don't like the lace around the neck. I really don't get why men can show their crew neck shirts but I can't use my chemise-style garments as an undershirt.

I'm not certain women under 50 have ever been consulted regarding garments.
                    "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      Chemise perhaps?
                      Thats it
                      "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

Let me be the first here to say I'm happy for mpfunk that the Mrs. has decided to start wearing immodest clothing.
                        "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                        "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                        "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
                          Let me be the first here to say I'm happy for mpfunk that the Mrs. has decided to start wearing immodest clothing.
                          C'mon, dude. Be nice. I'm in earnest here.
                          "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

Comment

I know, I'm just giving you a hard time. You know there are people out there who will jump to this conclusion, though. I'll be sure to show cUTEy this thread and have her weigh in on it. I'm sure she has some thoughts.
                            "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                            "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                            "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Not to keep pushing my suggestion, but you sound very frustrated. Why not just find something that fits you (and is white, and modest) and make your own garment? The church used to sell patterns for members to make their own anyway, so its not like there's no precedent for this.

I realize this isn't the most orthodox solution, but its got to be better than just tossing garments altogether.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Not to keep pushing my suggestion, but you sound very frustrated. Why not just find something that fits you (and is white, and modest) and make your own garment? The church used to sell patterns for members to make their own anyway, so its not like there's no precedent for this.

I realize this isn't the most orthodox solution, but its got to be better than just tossing garments altogether.
                                Believe me, I've been thinking VERY seriously about it lately and today was frustrating enough that I'm thinking about it even more seriously. I think my heart would be in the right place.

Comment

Working...
                                X