LDS Garments: Why I Want Out of This Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

Don't we all have access to Jesus's mercy? Isn't that the gift we all get?

Sounds like a new doctrine.
    My thoughts exactly. We’re gettinga little too close to pay to play.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
      The Lord pulls us through something that is symbolic of the Lord? Like, a whole birthing process?

I don't understand how the veil (the thing keeping us from God, mentally, physically, and spiritually) could possibly stand as a symbol for Christ who is the only one capable of pulling us through the barrier, and who enploys no servant there.

Just doesn't make sense to me, and I don't think it's been taught or even suggested anywhere.
      When you put it that way, it doesn't make much sense.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Just once I'd like the brethren or some other conference speak to address garments by playing off the Snoops lyrics to 'g'z up hoes down.' Something like

"
        Sagging like a pioneer, garments to they knees
        Saint please, you know how we do the undercover
        I'm Elder Dallin H Oaks (or the name of whoever is giving the talk), not your average GenCon speaka, see

Some of you don't know about the G thang, baby
        It's the smooth temple gear that be driving devils crazy
        Now as ya groove to the spirit and ya move to the sound
        I'mma hit ya up with the sacred Pound, G's up, sins down"

Such a missed opportunity, IMO.

Comment

• "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

• "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                Also, the veil is symbolic of Jesus Christ? That sounds new to me. Has it always been taught that way?
                The bread and water = Jesus Christ
                The baptismal water = Jesus Christ
                The garment = Jesus Christ
                The veil = Jesus Christ
                Anointing oil = Jesus Christ
                The Temple = Jesus Christ

"I am the way, the truth, and the light: no man cometh to the father but by me."
                "In the ordinances thereof, the power of godliness is made manifest." (The power of Godliness = The power of Jesus Christ to cover our sins)

The veil was rent at the time of Christ's death, signifying that his spirit was torn from his body, His resurrection repairs the veil, only through Christ can we be redeemed.

The LDS symbolism teaching is very much lacking.

Hebrews 10:20 "By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh"

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post

The bread and water = Jesus Christ
                  The baptismal water = Jesus Christ
                  The garment = Jesus Christ
                  The veil = Jesus Christ
                  Anointing oil = Jesus Christ
                  The Temple = Jesus Christ

"I am the way, the truth, and the light: no man cometh to the father but by me."
                  "In the ordinances thereof, the power of godliness is made manifest." (The power of Godliness = The power of Jesus Christ to cover our sins)

The veil was rent at the time of Christ's death, signifying that his spirit was torn from his body, His resurrection repairs the veil, only through Christ can we be redeemed.

The LDS symbolism teaching is very much lacking.

Hebrews 10:20 "By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh"
                  Out of everything in the list, I still maintain the veil is the one thing that cannot stand as a symbol of Christ because the veil is a barrier. It stopped non-high priests from entering the Holy of Holies. Hebrews 9:8 suggests that the existence of the veil signified that the way into the Holy of Holies hadn't been made manifest yet, because Christ hadn't come and hadn't made His sacrifice. Thus, when Christ came and sacrificed his body, the veil was torn. The way into the Holy of Holies, previously hidden by the veil, was consecrated and made available. It's the consecrated way through the veil that is symbolized by his flesh, not the veil itself.

In modern temples, the veil stops modern temple worshippers. Our doctrine of the veil is that it clouds the memory of pre-mortal life, and keeps us out of God's presence. When we talk about being close to the Lord, or especially holy moments, we describe the veil as being thin. The veil doesn't reveal truth, it conceals it. That is, the veil is the antithesis of who Christ is and what He does, which is why we need His help to pass through. That doesn't mean that the veil can't point us to Christ, because it can. It just isn't a symbol of Christ itself.

Comment

Working...
                  X