LDS Garments: Why I Want Out of This Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LDS Garments: Why I Want Out of This Club

I've spent the last ten minutes crying tears of frustration that I can't wear a simple cap-sleeved T-shirt without my garments deforming my waist into a bulbous caricature of myself.

I feel alien in these things. I can't wear simple, modest clothes without looking deformed. The body garments produce is not ME. I don't look like this.

I love the covenants that these garments represent, but I want off this boat.
    "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

You can quit wearing them. My wife quit wearing them as soon as we were sealed, and now she only wears them at Church or around her mom.
    That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
      You can quit wearing them. My wife quit wearing them as soon as we were sealed, and now she only wears them at Church or around her mom.
      Isn't that verboten, strictly speaking?

Edit: I'm not being coy. My understanding is that we're supposed to wear them as much as practicable (with somewhat ambiguous direction as to what occasions are "practicable). They are misery for me most of the time except sleeping, though.
      Last edited by Mrs. Funk; 05-19-2010, 05:20 PM.
      "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
        Yes.

Wearing G's is MUCH easier for Dudes than Girls. I feel bad for you guys. Have you tried all the styles?

Comment

What are people's thoughts about altering garments?

My grandma went through the temple for the first time after my grandpa died and they were sealed together. When she was talking to my mom later, she mentioned that her garments were fine, but that she would have to hem them b/c they went all the way down to her knee!

Of course, that's probably one of the few dimensions that can't really be changed on a garment. But why can't other things be changed? For example, I don't really like wearing two t-shirts (one crew neck g top and one regular t-shirt). I don't want to be able to see the crew neck of the g-top. But I don't want to wear the scoop neck either, since the border around the neck of those things is really thick - at least 3x time as thick as the fabric of the garment itself, creating that eternal smile line under my shirt.

So I ended up taking one of my older crew neck tops and cutting the neck out of it. I didn't hem it or anything b/c its just an experiment. Now I can wear it and the neck is not seen above my t-shirt neck, but I also don't have the annoying triple-thick border sitting right below.

Is this okay? I know my g's come stamped "authorized pattern," but really what's so authorized about them? Clearly garment styles, fabrics and dimensions have changed drastically over the years. I think that as long as the main "ideas" are preserved, people should be able to modify their garments for a better fit. After all, its not like we've got a lot of options if the church doesn't put out something that fit our body types.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

You will have to learn to lie to your bishop if you want to attend weddings in the temple, etc. If you can handle that, then you're fine.

Think about it this way. Does a bishop really have a right to an honest answer about your underwear? I think he does not.
            That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
              What are people's thoughts about altering garments?

My grandma went through the temple for the first time after my grandpa died and they were sealed together. When she was talking to my mom later, she mentioned that her garments were fine, but that she would have to hem them b/c they went all the way down to her knee!

Of course, that's probably one of the few dimensions that can't really be changed on a garment. But why can't other things be changed? For example, I don't really like wearing two t-shirts (one crew neck g top and one regular t-shirt). I don't want to be able to see the crew neck of the g-top. But I don't want to wear the scoop neck either, since the border around the neck of those things is really thick - at least 3x time as thick as the fabric of the garment itself, creating that eternal smile line under my shirt.

So I ended up taking one of my older crew neck tops and cutting the neck out of it. I didn't hem it or anything b/c its just an experiment. Now I can wear it and the neck is not seen above my t-shirt neck, but I also don't have the annoying triple-thick border sitting right below.

Is this okay? I know my g's come stamped "authorized pattern," but really what's so authorized about them? Clearly garment styles, fabrics and dimensions have changed drastically over the years. I think that as long as the main "ideas" are preserved, people should be able to modify their garments for a better fit. After all, its not like we've got a lot of options if the church doesn't put out something that fit our body types.
              I've thought frequently about this. Honestly, I have much less issue with the amount of skin that the garment covers than the WAY it covers it. Even slim girls end up looking like they have a gut with the band that goes well above the navel, and the shirts with lace cause me rashes and chafing.

I wish I had the option of just a stretchy undershirt (think Shade-type) garment. I've been very tempted to just go make my own out of a shirt like that.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
                You will have to learn to lie to your bishop if you want to attend weddings in the temple, etc.
                It's not a lie, if you believe it.

Comment

I've thought frequently about this. Honestly, I have much less issue with the amount of skin that the garment covers than the WAY it covers it. Even slim girls end up looking like they have a gut with the band that goes well above the navel, and the shirts with lace cause me rashes and chafing.

I wish I had the option of just a stretchy undershirt (think Shade-type) garment. I've been very tempted to just go make my own out of a shirt like that.
                  My wife recently bought some new style of garment that looks just like a tshirt.
                  "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

For a long time people just made their own garments. There's nothing sacred about the cheap fabric and thread the church uses to make garments. Its all in the agreement you make and the symbols representing that agreement.

In fact, I might try this. The crew necks the church makes are much crappier than other white t-shirts I could buy. Perhaps I'll through a few stitches in a few strategic places and rip out the tag. Better yet, I'll just get tagless. this is going to be great!
                    Last edited by falafel; 05-19-2010, 05:32 PM.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Mrs. Donut claims the spandex-type bottoms don't have as high-rise of a waist and thus don't ride up as much as the other G-bottoms. I realize this is very anecdotal, as everybody's shape is very different, but I thought I'd share it. She, like you, is constantly unhappy about how garments fit.
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                        Mrs. Donut claims the spandex-type bottoms don't have as high-rise of a waist and thus don't ride up as much as the other G-bottoms. I realize this is very anecdotal, as everybody's shape is very different, but I thought I'd share it. She, like you, is constantly unhappy about how garments fit.
                        They don't ride up, this is true. But the 1-in elastic waistband is figure-deforming. It just looks awful. Garments look ridiculous both tucked-in and loose since untucked the women's shirts end up making my ACTUAL shirt look bunchy and ridiculous.

It's difficult to have such a basic thing (i.e. how I look in what I clothe myself) affected every single day by this. I'm fed up. I want to keep my covenants. I know we are told to wear them all the time. I don't know what to do.

But thanks for putting in a good word. I'm feeling pretty bummed out about this.

Comment

Originally posted by ewth8tr View Post
                          My wife recently bought some new style of garment that looks just like a tshirt.
                          Interesting. No lace?

Comment

Originally posted by ewth8tr View Post
                            We went and bought some new tops for the wife a couple of days ago. Much less lace. Wife was happy.

Comment

Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
                              We went and bought some new tops for the wife a couple of days ago. Much less lace. Wife was happy.
                              The last time I bought garments (5 months ago?), the tops all still had lace. This is encouraging at least. I think things ARE moving in a better direction with womens' garments, but at a glacial pace it seems.

Comment

Working...
                              X