The PRIDE of UFC....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The PRIDE of UFC....

Shouldn't we have a thread dedicated to all things MMA? Seems we have enough guys interested in the sport that like to talk about it. If the Lakers have a thread dedicated to them so should MMA.

As far as the next fight for Shogun, it has to be Rampage if he wins. I guess Rashad would deserve it as well considering it would be his second win against a top 15 fighter since his loss to Machida. I would love to see a Shogun v Spider fight but DW is hell bent on making AS fight marginal 185'ers.

Comment

Originally posted by fusnik View Post
      As far as the next fight for Shogun, it has to be Rampage if he wins. I guess Rashad would deserve it as well considering it would be his second win against a top 15 fighter since his loss to Machida. I would love to see a Shogun v Spider fight but DW is hell bent on making AS fight marginal 185'ers.
      That would be a sick fight.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

UFC 117 has announced a few fights. It will be in Oakland at the Oracle arena in August.

Roy "Big Country" Nelson vs Juniors Dos Santos.

Love this fight. Roy has proven he is legit and so has Dos Santos, I am guessing the winner is in line for a title shot.

Clay Guida vs Rafael Dos Anjos.

I am a bit disappointed this is on UFC 117, it was at first reported that it would be on the UFC on Versus 2 card in Salt Lake. I would have loved to watch Guida in person.

Also UFC 118 BJ Penn vs Frankie Edgar. Immediate rematch.
        *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
          UFC 117 has announced a few fights. It will be in Oakland at the Oracle arena in August.

Love this fight. Roy has proven he is legit and so has Dos Santos, I am guessing the winner is in line for a title shot.

I am a bit disappointed this is on UFC 117, it was at first reported that it would be on the UFC on Versus 2 card in Salt Lake. I would have loved to watch Guida in person.

I like Nelson in that fight. Only because I doubt he will be given much of a chance.

I think Penn will come out and demolish Edgar in the rematch.
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

Well, you do have Jon Jones scheduled to fight at the SLC event, so that'll be pretty cool.
            "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Awesome. I have tried my best not to like Big Country but the dude keeps on winning and doesn't seem to care what anyone things, which in the end is endearing. I'm a little surprised they are giving him this quality of opponent so soon; Dos Santos has an impressive string of wins including putting Gonzaga down with a nice straight left in March and has first round knock outs over four of the last five (he also submitted Cro Cop in that run). He might have the fastest hands in the heavy weight division.

Nelson just intrigues the hell out of me though. His stand up is a bit unorthodox but the dude has a black belt in jitz and is every bit 265. He should be a nightmare on the ground for the same reason Lesnar is a nightmare on the ground (only with Lesnar it is his wrestling).

I think if Nelson can get the fight to the ground, and stay away from from Dos speed he will have a real chance to win here. Dos Santos gives up a good 30 lbs. Or Nelson might get exposed as not having fought anyone yet. But yeah this should be a great fight.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                Awesome. I have tried my best not to like Big Country but the dude keeps on winning and doesn't seem to care what anyone things, which in the end is endearing. I'm a little surprised they are giving him this quality of opponent so soon; Dos Santos has an impressive string of wins including putting Gonzaga down with a nice straight left in March and has first round knock outs over four of the last five (he also submitted Cro Cop in that run). He might have the fastest hands in the heavy weight division.

Nelson just intrigues the hell out of me though. His stand up is a bit unorthodox but the dude has a black belt in jitz and is every bit 265. He should be a nightmare on the ground for the same reason Lesnar is a nightmare on the ground (only with Lesnar it is his wrestling).

I think if Nelson can get the fight to the ground, and stay away from from Dos speed he will have a real chance to win here. Dos Santos gives up a good 30 lbs. Or Nelson might get exposed as not having fought anyone yet. But yeah this should be a great fight.
                The problem with Roy is even though his wins have been impressive he has fought tomato cans. His 3 toughest fights, Andrei Arlovski, Ben Rothwell, and Jeff Monson he has lost all 3.
                *Banned*

Comment

The problem with Roy is even though his wins have been impressive he has fought tomato cans. His 3 toughest fights, Andrei Arlovski, Ben Rothwell, and Jeff Monson he has lost all 3.
                  Arlovski is the only one that has TKO'd him though right? All the others were decisions I think.
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah, exactly. So we will see. Like I say, Dos Santos is fast. Roy needs to close that distance, but he is going to eat some shots in the process. I don't think he wants to stand and trade, but he is one of those guys like Leben with a huge head and not a ton of neck. I don't know what his chin is like, I probably need to go back and watch some of those losses.

EDIT: Just watched the Arlavski fight. Roy won the first round, but he got tired and put his hands down in the second. Arlavski landed many big bombs before Roy went down. His game plan seemed to be to eat a few to get close and get it on the ground, which he did early and dominated in that position. But he ran out of steam.
                    Last edited by UtahDan; 05-10-2010, 10:03 AM.

Comment

The UFC finally has some HW's that can create some pretty intruging match ups. It'll be interesting what they'll do with the winner of the JDS/Nelson fight. I assume if JDS wins they'll keep him on the shelf until Cain gets his HW shot which literally could be 6 months from now. If Nelson wins I could see them make him fight once more, maybe Mir or Nog for a title shot. I don't see how Nelson can avoid JDS' power for three rounds. Remember JDS is a Nogueira trained BJJ artist.

Comment

Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                        The UFC finally has some HW's that can create some pretty intruging match ups. It'll be interesting what they'll do with the winner of the JDS/Nelson fight. I assume if JDS wins they'll keep him on the shelf until Cain gets his HW shot which literally could be 6 months from now. If Nelson wins I could see them make him fight once more, maybe Mir or Nog for a title shot. I don't see how Nelson can avoid JDS' power for three rounds. Remember JDS is a Nogueira trained BJJ artist.
                        It's interesting to think how improved the HW class is. Just little over a year ago it was the weakest class in the UFC. Now it's arguably the strongest.
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

Not only should it get its own thread, it should get its own forum. We could call it the Blood Sport forum, and it could have other threads about things like dog fighting, cock fighting and bear baiting. Do I have a second?
                          "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                            Not only should it get its own thread, it should get its own forum. We could call it the Blood Sport forum, and it could have other threads about things like dog fighting, cock fighting and bear baiting. Do I have a second?
                            Hater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                              It is not comparable to any of those things on so many different levels but that's o.k. cause MMA ain't goin' away.
                              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Working...
                              X