Nw York New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nw York New York

I'm heading off soon with Mrs. Jones and Baby Jones (6 months old) to a 4 day vacation in the Big Apple. We've never been there before except for a couple layovers at JFK. We'll be staying in Times Square and are mostly looking to stay around the Manhattan area.

Since it's our first time there, we are hitting all the obvious touristy stuff like Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, Central Park (not really sure what to do there but we'll find out I guess), a Broadway show, Wall Street, etc.

That being said, we still have some time to fill and I'm taking suggestions for anything that you would recommend we do/see/eat....especially the eat part. In fact, I would really like recommendations on a good dinner place around Times Square and I don't mean somewhere cheap.

Suggestions?
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
    I'm heading off soon with Mrs. Jones and Baby Jones (6 months old) to a 4 day vacation in the Big Apple. We've never been there before except for a couple layovers at JFK. We'll be staying in Times Square and are mostly looking to stay around the Manhattan area.

Since it's our first time there, we are hitting all the obvious touristy stuff like Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, Central Park (not really sure what to do there but we'll find out I guess), a Broadway show, Wall Street, etc.

That being said, we still have some time to fill and I'm taking suggestions for anything that you would recommend we do/see/eat....especially the eat part. In fact, I would really like recommendations on a good dinner place around Times Square and I don't mean somewhere cheap.

Suggestions?
    Applebees. TGI Fridays. Olive Garden.
    Last edited by Surfah; 04-28-2010, 08:50 AM.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

Suggestions?
      Times Square isn't the greatest place for dinner, but you can find some really good places if you venture out.

If you are willing to drop some coin and go to Tribeca, I recommend Bouley (or Chantarelle if you can't get in Bouley). Easily my favorite place in the city. Grammercy Tavern and Union Square Cafe are also very upscale, very well regarded, and closer to Times Square. Jean Georges in Columbus Circle is very highly regarded but very expensive (last time I was there we dropped $700 for four people, no alcohol).

If you want a little bit more of an adventurous time, I recommend Spice Market in the meatpacking district. Also a Jean Georges creation, it's based on SE Asian street food and is a pretty wild place.

You also have three different Nobu iterations to choose from (try Nobu Next Door if you are having difficulties with reservations - they take walk-ins only). I like Nobu but it's not what I would think of for a romantic dinner. Also, the service sucks and always has. But it is rightfully regarded as the Godfather of asian fusion.

If you're looking for steakhouses, others can give better recommendations. I didn't eat a lot of steak in NYC. Others may have more recommendations closer to Times Square, as I didn't spend a lot of my time there. Note also that my experiences are three years out of date now.

Edit: I see Chanterelle is out of business.

http://www.davidbouley.com/
      http://www.gramercytavern.com/
      http://www.unionsquarecafe.com/
      http://www.jean-georges.com/
      http://www.noburestaurants.com/
      Last edited by Pheidippides; 04-28-2010, 08:52 AM. Reason: Add in some links
      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Did you not just read my review in the Diner? Come on bro! You have a little kid with you? Grimaldi's in Brooklyn is great for a NY experince while being kid friendly. (Have fun dining at a nice place in Manhattan with a kid, they'll be super accomodating, NOT). I'd focus on finding places to eat where you are visiting. A 4 day blitz in NY probably isn't super conducive to fine dining.

Comment

Originally posted by fusnik View Post
          Did you not just read my review in the Diner? Come on bro! You have a little kid with you? Grimaldi's in Brooklyn is great for a NY experince while being kid friendly. (Have fun dining at a nice place in Manhattan with a kid, they'll be super accomodating, NOT). I'd focus on finding places to eat where you are visiting. A 4 day blitz in NY probably isn't super conducive to fine dining.
          I think you could get away with an infant - but I'd ask the question anyway.

Grimaldi's is a NY institution and is well known. It's not my favorite place for pie, but I think it's a great stop.

Comment

I need to venture into the Diner more often.

I'm not necessarily looking for fine dining per se or a romantic evening, just a nice place to eat. I may have implied that with the "I don't mean somewhere cheap" phrase but honestly I want good food and I don't care if it is cheap or expensive. I failed to also mention that it's not just my wife and my kid but that I'm also meeting up with a couple that we are taking to dinner in exchange for their babysitting services later that night as we attend a Broadway show. So in all it will be 4 adults and one 6-month old.

I'm also looking for touristy things to do....
            Last edited by Moliere; 04-28-2010, 09:11 AM. Reason: because I'm slow
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I actually agree with this. I took Gidget and my then 2 year old on a business trip to Manhattan (work had an apartment on 51st and 7th) 2 years ago. Times Square doesn't offer a lot in fine dining as Niku mentioned. And kid friendly is tough too unless you hit one of the chains.
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

My experience is that food places near Times Square is EXPENSIVE GARBAGE aimed at sucking in tourist bucks. The good stuff is on the Upper West Side or in the East Village. Find a good Italian deli and you're in heaven.

* btw I did hit Grimaldi's in Brooklyn and it was just alright. Maybe it's just me that doesn't think that thin crust is conducive to a quality pizza.

Don't we have NY residents here who can give you something more solid?
                Last edited by Commando; 04-28-2010, 09:17 AM.
                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                  I actually agree with this. I took Gidget and my then 2 year old on a business trip to Manhattan (work had an apartment on 51st and 7th) 2 years ago. Times Square doesn't offer a lot in fine dining as Niku mentioned. And kid friendly is tough too unless you hit one of the chains.
                  I will say that I have taken an infant out to dinner with me an' the missus to mid-to-upscale places in NYC. It was not a problem.

Comment

I tend to do a lot of museums and zoos when I visit places. NY has a ton of great museums that I don't need to list, and the Bronx zoo is really cool.

The first day I ever spent in NY, I walked from Brooklyn to Battery park to Central Park. It was a great way to get a sense of the layout but that's a lot of walking to begin a mostly-walking trip.

Edit: I should add that while Broadway plays are insanely expensive, a lot of the theaters have rush tickets that you can pick up for 30 bucks or so. Many of them require a student ID, though. Short of that, go to a tkts booth (one in Brooklyn, one in times square behind the big stair case) to get half price tickets. I've loved all the ones I've seen and find them to be totally worth 30-40 bucks. 180 bucks, not so much. If "Our Town" is still playing off broadway in lower manhatten, I'd recommend that one too. It's broadway-quality for like 25 bucks, and the lead is amazing (Michael Shannon, the dude from Revolutionary Road).
                    Last edited by woot; 04-28-2010, 09:25 AM.

Comment

You know what show you are going to? Most Broadway shows sell 50% day of tickets at a place called TKTS at Times Square. If you don't mind rolling the dice I say its worth the discount. As far as maximizing tourist time, I'd do things in combo. For example, Statue of Liberty with Financial District. Canal St with Washington Square and NYU. Brooklyn with walking across the bridge (this would be a must for me, walking across the Brpoklyn Bridge IMO is super cool). Broadway show with nice late dinner. I'd splurge when you are alone wityh the wifey. What about baseball? thatd be great pay back for the babysitting, a game and comcessions.

Comment

A really good, if very touristy, thing to do is to take the Circle Line boat tour around Manhattan. They've got a guide who has been doing this for decades, really knows the city, and points out lots of interesting facts and tidbits about the history and architecture, even where Jerry Seinfeld buys his coffee (Starbucks around 78th and Columbus, as I recall). We like it so much we've done it twice and would do it again. You pick it up around 45th St. on the Hudson. The boats are spacious and you can get up and walk around with the kiddies if they become restless.

Pizza at Grimaldi's (which we called in and took out, rather than wait for a table, and then ate it overlooking the East River and Manhattan skyline) is always nice, and then you can walk across the Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan.

And there are several excellent steakhouses, including Wolfgang's, Peter Lugers, of course, and a few others. I even liked Smith & Wollensky's where dozens of movies have been shot, but I'd rate it a notch below the rest.

Comment

PAC's idea is great. Call in Grimaldi's and take it down to the Brooklyn park. It runs between the BB and Manhattan Bridge and has womderful vistas of the city. After walk across the BB, that's a must.

Comment

You know what show you are going to? Most Broadway shows sell 50% day of tickets at a place called TKTS at Times Square. If you don't mind rolling the dice I say its worth the discount. As far as maximizing tourist time, I'd do things in combo. For example, Statue of Liberty with Financial District. Canal St with Washington Square and NYU. Brooklyn with walking across the bridge (this would be a must for me, walking across the Brpoklyn Bridge IMO is super cool). Broadway show with nice late dinner. I'd splurge when you are alone wityh the wifey. What about baseball? thatd be great pay back for the babysitting, a game and comcessions.
                            The Yankees are out of town when we are there as they are playing in Boston that weekend. We considered going up there to the game but decided to stay in NY the whole time. A Mets game is uninteresting to me and my friend is a Red Sox fan anyway. Plus, I live in a city where I can see a game whenever I want so really only a Yankees game is appealing but that obviously won't happen.

Comment

I need to venture into the Diner more often.

I'm not necessarily looking for fine dining per se or a romantic evening, just a nice place to eat. I may have implied that with the "I don't mean somewhere cheap" phrase but honestly I want good food and I don't care if it is cheap or expensive. I failed to also mention that it's not just my wife and my kid but that I'm also meeting up with a couple that we are taking to dinner in exchange for their babysitting services later that night as we attend a Broadway show. So in all it will be 4 adults and one 6-month old.

I'm also looking for touristy things to do....
                              The Midtown area between Times Square and Central Park is the best place to be for touristy stuff. You can pay homage to E&Y in Times Square. You're two blocks west of the shops on 5th Ave. That was a hit with Gidget. She would roam Manhattan on foot with a stroller while I was on business during the day (7am-3pm). You can check out St. Patrick's Cathedral over there. One of America's best pieces of architecture IMO. You're just a short walk south of Central Park. The zoo is small and doesn't offer much, but it was a worthwhile diversion for my daughter who loved the sea lions' performance. The museum is a further walk up CP on the west side. Take the subway south to the Financial District. Can't see much at Ground Zero now but there is a small museum. Check out the Bull down by Wall Street. Both me and Gidget had been to NYC before, so instead of paying to go to Ellis Island we hopped on the Staten Island Ferry just because. It was fun and gave you a cool perspective of the south end of the island. You can go the NBA store and pick up Lakers gear. There will be a hundred Asians there also purchasing Lakers gear. No lie. Really it depends on what you're into. You can check out places from TV and film, architecture, sports, shopping, stand in line and get tix for Lettermen, etc. I worked with a comic book geek who always wanted to go check out Midtown Comics and all the places where Spiderman was shot for example.
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X