Don't mess with Apple!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't mess with Apple!

It appears Steve Jobs doesn't take lightly to showing his technology before he can, at the next Macworld.

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    It appears Steve Jobs doesn't take lightly to showing his technology before he can, at the next Macworld.
    For the lawyers on the board was the search invalid?

According to Gaby Darbyshire, COO of Gawker Media LLC, the search warrant to remove these computers was invalid under section 1524(g) of the California Penal Code.

Comment

Interesting. I presume the search was related to the leaked photos of the new iphone that came out last week? I remember hearing that Apple was threatening to pursue criminal charges if possible.

Regarding the warrant, I have no real idea. I've never heard of the "journalist" exception, but of course I'm not a criminal attorney. I can understand that perhaps you'd want an exception for a journalist that merely collects evidence of a felony as part of a story, but it obviously wouldn't make sense to give journalists blanket immunity from warranted searches just because they are journalists. IOW, journalists can commit felonies too.

IIRC, Gizmodo was the first to leak the new iphone photos. I don't know what Gawker had to do with it.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
        Interesting. I presume the search was related to the leaked photos of the new iphone that came out last week? I remember hearing that Apple was threatening to pursue criminal charges if possible.

Regarding the warrant, I have no real idea. I've never heard of the "journalist" exception, but of course I'm not a criminal attorney. I can understand that perhaps you'd want an exception for a journalist that merely collects evidence of a felony as part of a story, but it obviously wouldn't make sense to give journalists blanket immunity from warranted searches just because they are journalists. IOW, journalists can commit felonies too.

IIRC, Gizmodo was the first to leak the new iphone photos. I don't know what Gawker had to do with it.
        You are correct, this is all in regards to the leaked iPhone 4 pictures. Gawker is the parent company for Gizmodo, Deadspin and a couple other sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
          You are correct, this is all in regards to the leaked iPhone 4 pictures. Gawker is the parent company for Gizmodo, Deadspin and a couple other sites.
          Ah-HA! Now that is interesting. I remember reading that Apple was going to try and go after whoever received the "stolen" property, so perhaps Gizmodo's photos are the PC for the warrant. I wonder how they linked it to Jason Chen's house though. I'll bet that Apple employees did the majority of the leg work on this and then handed it over to the police to follow up on.

Btw, that new iphone looks both cool and lame at the same time. There's a reason why at first it was mistaken for a Chinese knock off.

Edit: Now its clear why they went for Chen's appartment - he's the guy shown in this Gizmodo video with the new iphone. http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post

From a cursory look at the statute as it was printed up in the letter that the COO wrote to the police, the statute appears to be California's "Shield Law." I'm not up on what the criminal charges may be, and how the shield law in CA has been interpreted, but there didn't seem to be any indication in the link that Art posted that Chen had been subpoenaed in connection with another investigation or been asked to reveal sources and then refused.

Not sure how the statute that the COO cited is going to save the employee from a lawful search.

Comment

OK, important safety tip... If you happen to acquire an apple prototype and want to tell the world about it do it via anonymous proxy servers in China using someone else's name. Never, ever contact apple and try to give it back.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Apple sues everyone. I guess now those "brilliant marketing" conspiracy theories can be laid to rest. I am not sure what Apple hopes to gain from this.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                  Apple sues everyone. I guess now those "brilliant marketing" conspiracy theories can be laid to rest. I am not sure what Apple hopes to gain from this.
                  I still don't understand why they didn't fire the poor engineer that lost the apple prototype especially given Woz's story about the test engineer that showed him the iPad 3G. (I wonder why they didn't fire Woz for leaking this story and wearing this t-shirt.) Maybe he had a good excuse:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L36rCToQOng"]YouTube- 10 Reasons for why Gray Powell lost his iPhone[/nomedia]
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Nugent View Post
                    I still don't understand why they didn't fire the poor engineer that lost the apple prototype especially given Woz's story about the test engineer that showed him the iPad 3G. (I wonder why they didn't fire Woz for leaking this story and wearing this t-shirt.) Maybe he had a good excuse:

YouTube- 10 Reasons for why Gray Powell lost his iPhone
                    x2. I don't get it.
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

Apple does seem to be taking the charades a bit far.

Every one knows they planted it.

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                        Apple does seem to be taking the charades a bit far.

Every one knows they planted it.
                        I'd believe this except that there is no way in hell Steve Jobs would allow this. He wants to scream hyperbole while jumping up and down and dancing awkwardly in front of imax screens for product reveals.

And this is how some of Apple fans feel (from the Gizmodo leak comments):

It's pretty exciting to see this (if it is indeed the real deal), but I guess I'd rather have Steve Jobs announce it to me after the hype has been built up significantly rather than have Giz spoil it like this.

I kind of feel like a kid who secretly opened his Christmas gift early and then had to feign surprise on Christmas morning.
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

The EFF has chimed in on this, agreeing with Gizmodo.
                          http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/04...arrant-illegal

It is also very interesting that Apple is a member of the steering committee for the task force that launched the investigation.
                          http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts1795
                          "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

Why Apple kicks butt and takes names... It is more than just great products.

Most of Apple’s customers have probably never given that green light a second thought, but its creation speaks to a massive competitive advantage for Apple: Operations. This is the world of manufacturing, procurement, and logistics in which the new chief executive officer, Tim Cook, excelled, earning him the trust of Steve Jobs. According to more than a dozen interviews with former employees, executives at suppliers, and management experts familiar with the company’s operations, Apple has built a closed ecosystem where it exerts control over nearly every piece of the supply chain, from design to retail store. Because of its volume—and its occasional ruthlessness—Apple gets big discounts on parts, manufacturing capacity, and air freight. “Operations expertise is as big an asset for Apple as product innovation or marketing,” says Mike Fawkes, the former supply-chain chief at Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) and now a venture capitalist with VantagePoint Capital Partners. “They’ve taken operational excellence to a level never seen before.”

This operational edge is what enables Apple to handle massive product launches without having to maintain large, profit-sapping inventories. It’s allowed a company often criticized for high prices to sell its iPad at a price that very few rivals can beat, while still earning a 25 percent margin on the device, according to the estimates of Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster. And if the latest rumors are to be believed, Apple’s operational expertise is likely part of what gives the company enough confidence to enter the notoriously cutthroat television market by 2013 with a TV set that would tightly integrate with existing Apple software like iTunes. The widespread skepticism over Apple’s ability to compete in such a price-sensitive market, where margins are often in the single digits, is “exactly what people said when Apple got into cell phones,” says Munster.

Apple began innovating on the nitty-gritty details of supply-chain management almost immediately upon Steve Jobs’s return in 1997. At the time, most computer manufacturers transported products by sea, a far cheaper option than air freight. To ensure that the company’s new, translucent blue iMacs would be widely available at Christmas the following year, Jobs paid $50 million to buy up all the available holiday air freight space, says John Martin, a logistics executive who worked with Jobs to arrange the flights. The move handicapped rivals such as Compaq that later wanted to book air transport. Similarly, when iPod sales took off in 2001, Apple realized it could pack so many of the diminutive music players on planes that it became economical to ship them directly from Chinese factories to consumers’ doors. When an HP staffer bought one and received it a few days later, tracking its progress around the world through Apple’s website, “It was an ‘Oh s—’ moment,” recalls Fawkes.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Adobe gives up on mobile devices:

Adobe Systems Inc. said it plans to stop development of its Flash Player software for mobile browsers, saying it will focus its efforts on HTML5, another media presentation standard.

The move follows criticism, including a series of high-profile attacks by late Apple Inc. co-founder Steve Jobs, that Flash media streaming technology isn't suited for use on low-power mobile devices.

Adobe said Wednesday it will continue to provide bug fixes and security updates and help app developers. It also will continue to develop Flash in other areas such as advanced gaming and premium video for personal computers.

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...#ixzz1dFLnD7Ad

I don't care (sorry, Ted, no Apple stock!) who wins the battle, I just want to be able to watch video on my mobile device without regard to battles among the Titans of Technology. Get it done, guys!
                              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                              ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Working...
                              X