The Killing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
    I think it's going to be slow. The producer described it as one of those "slow burn" types. To me the ultimate slow burn is The Wire, so I guess that term can't be all bad.

Yeah, I think that was the dude's wife.
    Slow burn is good when you have a lot of detail packed in. The Wire is slow paced, but there is a lot packed into each episode.

With Breaking Bad, sometimes I feel like only 3 or 4 details are used in each episode.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I think that more or less happened with Twin Peaks,
      Have you ever taken a drive up I90 to North Bend and had cherry pie at the cafe that advertises "Twin Peaks Cherry Pie"? I think it is called Weedle's or something like that? It is right near the Forest Service office.
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

Comment

Bad news falafel, it sound like it's going to be rather slow.

The show's contemplative pace — each episode represents one day in the investigation — fits somewhere between AMC's Mad Men and its cruelly canceled Rubicon. The acting is strikingly good: Enos and Kinnaman may be playing the heroes, but we're just as caught up in the anguish expressed by Forbes and Sexton, and Campbell both embodies and transcends slickness as a politician who seems to know more about the death than he lets on.
        http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20475726,00.html
        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
          Have you ever taken a drive up I90 to North Bend and had cherry pie at the cafe that advertises "Twin Peaks Cherry Pie"? I think it is called Weedle's or something like that? It is right near the Forest Service office.
          No, never been out there. But yeah, that's the diner from the series, though I've heard it doesn't look the same because they remodeled the outside.

Comment

I'm looking forward to this show. I'm still torn between watching the original or the AMC version first. If it wasn't for AMC's track record I would have already watched the original. But at 13 episodes vs the original's 20 I'm kind of concerned. Are they going to compress it down to 13 or stretch it to 26 (and two years)?

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
              I'm looking forward to this show. I'm still torn between watching the original or the AMC version first. If it wasn't for AMC's track record I would have already watched the original. But at 13 episodes vs the original's 20 I'm kind of concerned. Are they going to compress it down to 13 or stretch it to 26 (and two years)?
              Isn't the original in its third season? Perhaps they are just going to dice the story up a little differently between the seasons.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Bad news falafel, it sound like it's going to be rather slow.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20475726,00.html
                I even felt that The Walking Dead was painfully slow at points, and that's a show about zombies! I will definitely give it 3 or 4 episodes. It looks very good, but who knows. Rubicon looked good, but man was that show slow.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  Isn't the original in its third season? Perhaps they are just going to dice the story up a little differently between the seasons.
                  Ah, yes it is. Well, two done and a third on the way in 2012. They're listed on IMDB as separate shows and not extensions of the first season so I missed them.

The first had 20 episodes and the second only 10. I'm leaning towards watching the originals first now. AMC is either going to compress the first season or stretch it out and I don't like either option.

Comment

Ah, yes it is. Well, two done and a third on the way in 2012. They're listed on IMDB as separate shows and not extensions of the first season so I missed them.

The first had 20 episodes and the second only 10. I'm leaning towards watching the originals first now. AMC is either going to compress the first season or stretch it out and I don't like either option.
                    Where do you plan on getting them? Have they been released w/ subtitles here?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      Where do you plan on getting them? Have they been released w/ subtitles here?
                      *cough*

Comment

*cough*

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Sepinwall's review.

This may not be a comparison AMC executives want to hear, but at this stage the AMC show that "The Killing" most reminds me of is "Rubicon," the low-rated, cerebral spy thriller that had fantastic atmosphere and fine performances but tended to stumble whenever it actually had to deal with plot. In particular, "Rubicon" completely botched the resolution to the story of its first and only season. Until we get to "The Killing" finale, there's obviously no way of knowing whether Sud has a better conclusion in mind, but that's the risk you take with this type of extended plot-driven series: the 13 hours you spend on a season might feel utterly wasted if the resolution isn't satisfying enough given the commitment.

Of course, "The Killing" seems a far more commercially-viable show than "Rubicon" turned out to be. There's always an appetite for murder mysteries, and the raw performances by Sexton and Forbes give the show more upfront humanity than the damaged eggheads of "Rubicon" could provide. Because of Sud's experience on "Cold Case" (where they needed a satisfying resolution every week, albeit not one that had to pay off so much story) and because she has the Danish series as a template, I'm hopeful that she'll bring all the pieces together in a far stronger fashion than "Rubicon" did.
                          http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-al...e-performances

Comment

Premiere tonight if anyone cares. They're actually showing two episodes tonight.

Comment

I saw the thread title and assumed it was a miscategorized post about the last 7-years of Ute basketball.
                              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I've watched a few episodes of the original and so far it lives up to the hype. Everything is top notch. Feels like a really good BBC show like State of Play, except in some moon language Danish. Definitely a slow burn though.

Spoiler for first episode end:
                                They don't even confirm that it's a murder and discover the body until the end of the first episode.
                                Last edited by DapperDan; 04-03-2011, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X