Ken Burns Jazz documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken Burns Jazz documentary

Alright, I have to continue to rant on this piece of crap that Ken Burn's created and figured why not start a new thread, as to not hijack the thread on best documentary. I think many times other can speak better than I can on this subject, so here goes.

The point about the coronation of Wynton Marsalis is particularly interesting and points out why this documentary is not only a sham, but in many ways unethical.

I love this quite "A tone of breathless enthusiasm permeates his first nine episodes. Critique suddenly surfaces in the tenth and final one, when the implications for present-day music-making become urgent. Responding to the charge that he short-changed modern jazz, Burns has explained that he is not an historian: "How could I presume to tell, (in) the current jazz scene, who's great... History begins 30 to 40 years out." This is disingenuous, for Episode Ten is replete with historical judgments and thinly veiled agendas." This whole article is great and a must read for anyone who has watched or is going to watch the documentary

I do think that this commentary is a little too complimentary, but it is good nonetheless
    http://www.allaboutjazz.com/articles/arti0201_03.htm

Great piece on the actual agenda of jazz and how it was not a documentary about the music. Also, this piece is critical of his other documentaries, and a good example of why I won't watch his other stuff.
    http://www.gerryhemingway.com/jazzburn.html

Another nice article on the actual agenda on the film. Sure we cannot show anything about John Zorn, because a Jew bringing his cultural heritage to the music doesn't fit Burn's agenda. In fact, this is the only positive thing I can say about Burn's documentary. It was this article that introduced me to John Zorn.
    http://www.slate.com/id/97997
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

I don't know much about Jazz, but this reviewer's comments on Burns' work in general shows that he is FOS. His description of Shelby Foote is funny.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      I don't know much about Jazz, but this reviewer's comments on Burns' work in general shows that he is FOS. His description of Shelby Foote is funny.
      I don't know anything about Burn's other works and frankly am not well versed in the Civil War either to make much of a commentary on it. But from what I know about Jazz, I wouldn't trust a documentary by Ken Burns, knowing the hack job he did to jazz.
      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
        I don't know anything about Burn's other works and frankly am not well versed in the Civil War either to make much of a commentary on it. But from what I know about Jazz, I wouldn't trust a documentary by Ken Burns, knowing the hack job he did to jazz.
        Let's put it this way: Foote's book (trilogy) on the civil war is almost universally regarded as one of the top non-fiction publications of all time.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/re...review-1151898
          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I thought of Funk last night as I was out to eat with my family!

One of my daughters attends college about 30 minutes away, so she often comes home weekends. She also has an occasional job at the performing arts center uptown. On nights where there are performances, she is there at a table asking people to complete surveys about their experience and general feelings about the arts in our city. She had done this on the previous night, so I asked how it had gone. Her reply was:

"It went ok, but it was a jazz concert so there were a lot of old people who didn't know how to use QR codes"

Comment

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
              X