The homemade ice cream thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The homemade ice cream thread

I don't see a thread on this already (I looked, but not comprehensively). So here's one recipe I just saw today. Looks good (I'll try it soon):

Malted Milk Ice Cream

Ingredients:
    1 cup half-and-half
    3/4 cup sugar
    Pinch of salt
    2 cups heavy cream
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2/3 cup malt powder
    6 large egg yolks
    2 cps malted milk balls, coarsely chopped

Directions:
    1. Warm the half-and-half, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan. In a large bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, vanilla, and malt powder and set a mesh strainer on top.

2. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.

3. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and whisk it into the malted milk mixture. Stir until cool over an ice bath.

4. chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. As you remove the ice cream form the machine, fold in the chopped malted milk balls.

Makes about 1-1/2 quarts.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Scoop-Sorbets-Granitas-Accompaniments/dp/158008219X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271573734&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments (9781580082198): David Lebovitz: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41j4OE9jtgL.@@AMEPARAM@@41j4OE9jtgL[/ame], David Lebovitz, Ten Speed Press, 2007
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Excellent idea for a thread. What kind of ice cream maker do you all have? I have one of those that have a bucket with an internal coolant reservoir. You have to freeze the bucket for 24 hours before making ice cream in it. Also, it is tiny--I think it yields less than 1/2 gallon ice cream.

I tried to make ice cream with it a few weeks ago (for the first time in 6 or so years) when friends were over for dinner. It never got the ice cream cold enough to firm it up. The result was really soupy. I wonder if the coolant has broken down and lost its heat capacity.

I guess I should get a new ice cream maker.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
      Excellent idea for a thread. What kind of ice cream maker do you all have? I have one of those that have a bucket with an internal coolant reservoir. You have to freeze the bucket for 24 hours before making ice cream in it. Also, it is tiny--I think it yields less than 1/2 gallon ice cream.

I tried to make ice cream with it a few weeks ago (for the first time in 6 or so years) when friends were over for dinner. It never got the ice cream cold enough to firm it up. The result was really soupy. I wonder if the coolant has broken down and lost its heat capacity.

I guess I should get a new ice cream maker.
      I have one of those ones as well. Hamilton Beach, I think. I'm not impressed.

When I was getting married and we were registering for gifts, I put one of the old fashioned rock salt ice cream makers on our list. My then-fiance wasn't very stoked about it. I think it was about the only thing I contributed to the list. We ended up getting one and I was excited. My wife, however, decided we got a lot of crap and wanted to return as much as possible for the money. She wanted to keep the fondue set but return the ice cream maker. I felt the opposite was in order.

The ice cream maker went back. We ended up making fondue one time and realized it was gross. I chucked the fondue set a few years ago. My wife has since tried to repent of her sin by getting me the little Hamilton Beach machine for my birthday. I had to act excited, even though I wasn't very optimistic about the machine's capabilities. I was right. Soon I'll get a real one.

My favorite home made ice cream is either fresh peach or raspberry. On special occasions, we might even mix the two - yum! We planted a peach tree last year and it already looks like we're going to have a bumper crop. It will make a nice summer for fresh peach ice cream.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
        My wife has since tried to repent of her sin by getting me the little Hamilton Beach machine for my birthday. I had to act excited, even though I wasn't very optimistic about the machine's capabilities. I was right. Soon I'll get a real one.

My favorite home made ice cream is either fresh peach or raspberry. On special occasions, we might even mix the two - yum! We planted a peach tree last year and it already looks like we're going to have a bumper crop. It will make a nice summer for fresh peach ice cream.
        That's funny because my experience parallels yours. My wife got the ice cream maker for me for Fathers' Day. It's a Cuisinart:

I also had to pretend to be excited. Like you, I would rather get an ice & salt kind.

I'm jealous about the peaches. We are going to plant trees sometime, and a peach tree is my first choice. All we did last summer was tomatos and the ice cream sucked.
        "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
        "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
        This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug

Comment

We have tried various iterations of homemade ice cream makers....the automatic one, the wooden bucket crank one, etc. In every case, even when it tastes good, the end result is never quite as good as some of the good stuff you can guy at the store. And it takes up space.

Also, homemade ice cream gets rock hard in the freezer and it impossible to scoop out ever again. Does anyone have a fix for this? If there were a way to remedy the rock hard leftovers, it might be worth revisiting. Doesnt seem to matter how much butter/milk fat you load into. It is much like trying to replicate late-night chinese take out at home...I can never quite get it as good as the real stuff. Any tips?
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            We have tried various iterations of homemade ice cream makers....the automatic one, the wooden bucket crank one, etc. In every case, even when it tastes good, the end result is never quite as good as some of the good stuff you can guy at the store. And it takes up space.

Also, homemade ice cream gets rock hard in the freezer and it impossible to scoop out ever again. Does anyone have a fix for this? If there were a way to remedy the rock hard leftovers, it might be worth revisiting. Doesnt seem to matter how much butter/milk fat you load into. It is much like trying to replicate late-night chinese take out at home...I can never quite get it as good as the real stuff. Any tips?
            Not sure what to tell you. My grandpa's ice cream is awesome. I prefer it to any store-bought brand. I don't think he has any secrets, just the normal fresh fruits & stuff.

Comment

Not sure what to tell you. My grandpa's ice cream is awesome. I prefer it to any store-bought brand. I don't think he has any secrets, just the normal fresh fruits & stuff.
              My dad's home made is great too. On a hot Sunday afternoon in the summer, there's nothin' better.

I agree with DDD about how it gets rock hard. My solution has usually been to let it thaw a bit. It seems to get softer that way. That is also my solution with store-bought ice cream.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

does it get rock hard once you put it in the freezer or does it stay soft like regular ice cream?

sigpic

Comment

That's funny because my experience parallels yours. My wife got the ice cream maker for me for Fathers' Day. It's a Cuisinart:

I also had to pretend to be excited. Like you, I would rather get an ice & salt kind.

I'm jealous about the peaches. We are going to plant trees sometime, and a peach tree is my first choice. All we did last summer was tomatos and the ice cream sucked.
                  I've got a cuisinart that doesn't require ice. I find that it gives me a much better consistency than the older models with the ice and the salt.

Comment

My dad's home made is great too. On a hot Sunday afternoon in the summer, there's nothin' better.

I agree with DDD about how it gets rock hard. My solution has usually been to let it thaw a bit. It seems to get softer that way. That is also my solution with store-bought ice cream.
                    I've done that dance of death. the edges start to melt while the middle portion stays rock hard. you have to wait about 25 minutes or put it in the microwave or whatever for it to be scoop-ready. but by then it is a runny consistency and not creamy like normal ice cream.

I wonder what preservatives the professional grade ice cream contains to allow the ice cream to remain malleable once it leaves the freezer. Scooping homemade is like trying to scoop a massive ice cube.

sigpic

Comment

I've done that dance of death. the edges start to melt while the middle portion stays rock hard. you have to wait about 25 minutes or put it in the microwave or whatever for it to be scoop-ready. but by then it is a runny consistency and not creamy like normal ice cream.

I wonder what preservatives the professional grade ice cream contains to allow the ice cream to remain malleable once it leaves the freezer. Scooping homemade is like trying to scoop a massive ice cube.
                      I think - but am not sure - that the commercial ice cream makers pump air into the product, not to inflate it so they can sell more, but to make it malleable. I read that once somewhere.

Here's a modern ice cream maker:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Donvier-1-Quart-Ice-Cream-Maker/dp/B00006484E/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1271571287&sr=8-11"]Amazon.com: Donvier 1-Quart Ice Cream Maker: Home & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41F0EG7TZML.@@AMEPARAM@@41F0EG7TZML[/ame]Looks interesting, and not too expensive. It's a far cry from the old wooden bucket we had when I was a kid.

We have a plastic one with a motor. It works great, but it's in the garage and I can't remember what kind it is.
                      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I wonder if it might change if you put it in another container. Commercial ice cream never comes in aluminum tubes.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I wonder if it might change if you put it in another container. Commercial ice cream never comes in aluminum tubes.
                          we never store it in the freezer in aluminum. we transfer it to plastic containers. Bam! Petrified wood the next day.

If LA Ute is correct, then air injection should be the next big thing in homemade ice cream makers. If there were a way to maintain that consistency, it would be really fun to invest the effort and time to make it regularly.

I suppose there are worse problems to have than to finish a batch of homemade ice cream in one sitting, so as not to worry about freezing it.

sigpic

Comment

we never store it in the freezer in aluminum. we transfer it to plastic containers. Bam! Petrified wood the next day.

If LA Ute is correct, then air injection should be the next big thing in homemade ice cream makers. If there were a way to maintain that consistency, it would be really fun to invest the effort and time to make it regularly.

I suppose there are worse problems to have than to finish a batch of homemade ice cream in one sitting, so as not to worry about freezing it.
                            Huh. Okay, how about this - when you make an angel food cake, you have to beat the eggs for a long time to add air to the mixure so that it will be nice and fluffy and airy. What about dumping the ice cream in your electric mixer (after everyone's had their fill the first day) and putting the whisk attachment on? Mix it up for a minute or two and then put it in the freezer. Might be worth a try.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I've found that eating it all in one sitting seems to take care of the problem.
                              "Remember to double tap"

Comment

Working...
                              X