Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you go to church on vacation?

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
    Ditto. I hate wasting spending almost all of my vacation time visiting family, but that's historically what has happened.
    In order to circumvent the rules, I always schedule a few calls or whatever while I am in Utah. As long as I work a little, I cannot charge my day to PTO and I preserve my vacation.

We are lucky in that my family lives close by, so we never have to burn PTO to see them. My wife's family lives in Utah, so when we do go for a game or something, we can see everyone. However, we have fallen into this bad habit of going to Utah for the Fourth of July. Problem is, Utah isn't that fun in July and August. It is too dang hot, there are no college or NBA games, and there are only so many times you can go watch the hot air balloons in the morning. This year we are not going to the in-laws for the 4th. Instead, we are going to a family reunion in Duck Creek. What a lame summer vacation.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Paid vacation? Hmmm, I've heard of this before, but I'm unfamiliar with how it works.

Thankfully I have a niece getting married this summer in Utah (something I would not normally look forward to) but she saved me of having to spend a week in hell Nauvoo with all my wife's family. What the heck was I suppose to do with my kids their for 7 days? At least when I'm in Utah I can have 71 get me on to Riverside or some other high roller private course.

Vacation, no.
    With family, yes. But only sacrament mtg.
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    Satan doesn't take a vacation.....
    I saw him at Lagoon in '96.
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

We love to go to church on vacation whenever we can especially if we are outside of the country. I have great memories of attending while on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
    I think it's really unfortunate that investigators (or just LDS church attendees) sometimes get the stink eye for not dressing in the LDS uniform. I understand that church is supposed to be reverent (and in theory, nicer clothes promote reverence?), but shouldn't it be about worshipping God together and not about your neighbor's outfit?
    As someone who's visited an LDS church on occasion, I can attest to feeling pressure to dress up. It's one of the reasons why I like how my particular church operates, that you can show up in a football jersey and shorts or a suit and not be judged solely on the basis of appearance.
    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Quote Originally Posted by BoylenOver View Post
    As someone who's visited an LDS church on occasion, I can attest to feeling pressure to dress up. It's one of the reasons why I like how my particular church operates, that you can show up in a football jersey and shorts or a suit and not be judged solely on the basis of appearance.
    Football jersey to church? No offense, but isn't that really, really tacky?

I would never encourage or support it, but I would certainly not discourage or denounce it, either. Whatever it takes to get you through the door.
    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Quote Originally Posted by BoylenOver View Post
    I would never encourage or support it, but I would certainly not discourage or denounce it, either. Whatever it takes to get you through the door.
    I will say that a testimony meeting is a little more interesting when a non-member woman with a fine rack wearing a tight tank top in a cold room gets up to bear her testimony.

As a short time member of a ward in Waikiki, we'd see all kinds of dress. At least once a month someone would show up in shorts and golf shirt with sandals, or golf wear with beige khakis. That said, there were also a lot of people who brought a white shirt and tie. They were overdressed as most of the local men wore aloha shirts (except the bishopric who always wore shirt and tie.)

Once a year there was some huge dental convention, and all the single ladies would dress up in their best muumuus to try to hook themselves a big money dentist.

Yes. Football jerseys to anything but a football game are tacky. I'd be okay with throwing on your favorite player's jersey to watch the game in your man cave. These are the two exceptions in my book and even they are tenuous. Jerseys look best framed and on a wall.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

We always try to go, usually only to sacrament meeting when we do. When I am on a business trip I attend if I have no business meetings that preempt church. I enjoy visiting other wards and branches. For example, inner-city Chicago, New York and D.C. branches are a kick and a reminder of the Church's growing diversity. I never wear a white shirt and try not to wear a jacket. Pretty rebellious, huh?
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    As a short time member of a ward in Waikiki, we'd see all kinds of dress. At least once a month someone would show up in shorts and golf shirt with sandals, or golf wear with beige khakis. That said, there were also a lot of people who brought a white shirt and tie. They were overdressed as most of the local men wore aloha shirts (except the bishopric who always wore shirt and tie.)

Once a year there was some huge dental convention, and all the single ladies would dress up in their best muumuus to try to hook themselves a big money dentist.
    I dig the Samoans and Tongans who'd wear their lava-lava with a shirt and tie.

Personally I think the dress is reflective of the worship service. LDS meetings are very structured and reverent. Some evangelical services not so much. I've felt overdressed in a shirt and tie attending a church with a rock band for a choir.

I think there is something very cool about getting in your Sunday best to go to church. It's something I appreciate very much about Virginia and the South. I drive past several churches on the way to ours each Sunday and I see lots of their parking lots overflowing with cars. And many of the men are wearing suits and the women dresses. I really like the hats that many of the black women wear and I love that many of the older black men put the Sunday polish not just on their shoes but also their cars. I think that is rad.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Alright, I'm not really on vacation, I'm out here working for a couple of months (Fort Lee, VA). But I'm going to try to get away from this place as often as I can on the weekends. I'll stay up in DC a few times including this weekend. Anyone know of church options for DC? I see the Capitol Hill Ward that starts at 9, so that might be a good option. Don't we have a couple of regulars here who live back that way? CA? PH?

I'm working in New Delhi this week. I'll be going to church tomorrow. It will be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    I'm working in New Delhi this week. I'll be going to church tomorrow. It will be interesting.
    I've done that. Weird going to GD and listening to Indians discuss the finer points of The Restored Gospel.

But enough about attending church in Delhi. Go to this restaurant. It is awesome.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Alright, I'm not really on vacation, I'm out here working for a couple of months (Fort Lee, VA). But I'm going to try to get away from this place as often as I can on the weekends. I'll stay up in DC a few times including this weekend. Anyone know of church options for DC? I see the Capitol Hill Ward that starts at 9, so that might be a good option. Don't we have a couple of regulars here who live back that way? CA? PH?
    Chevy Chase ward meets at 9.

Attended the New Delhi 3rd Branch this morning. My driver, Ashish, parked the car and said he would wait for me for the hour. He asked what we did inside the church. I said, "You can come in and see for yourself if you like". I couldn't believe how fast he jumped at the opportunity. When we got there we were 30 minutes early. The building was locked and we stood around outside waiting for someone with the keys to come. A handful of members were already waiting.

Ashish was full of questions. He said, "Are you sure this is the right place? It doesn't look like a church" (it was an apartment building with mission offices on the top and church in the basement)
    I could tell it was the right place, even though there was no sign, because of the few people waiting around. You can just tell Mormons no matter where in the world you go. I assured him it was the right place. He asked, "Have you ever been here before?" I said, "No, this is my first time here". He seemed skeptical that we were in the right place.

He said, "I think I need a tie. All the gentlemen are wearing ties." I told him, "you'll be fine, don't worry". More members started dropping by the closer it got to the hour. They all came over and shook Ashish's hand as we waited around outside. Some guys weren't wearing ties and Ashish felt better.

There were about 40-50 people there. Indian families with ladies in colored saris, expat American families with blond kids, and a handful of Asians and Africans mixed in as well. Ashish was pretty amazed that they all came up and shook his hand and welcomed him. Once they unlocked the building at about 5 minutes to the hour, we all walked in and started setting up the chairs. Everyone helped out, including Ashish. He was amazed that there were expat American men, women and children setting up chairs alongside the Indians, Asians, and Africans and everyone was pitching in.

Once the meeting started, Ashish sang the hymns as best he could. He did all right for someone that had probably never sung a hymn before in his life. As they were preparing the sacrament he asked me what they were doing. I said "they're going to pray over the bread and water". He said, "ahh, then we drink the holy water". I told him, he could pass it by when it came to him but he was intent on taking it so I didn't make a scene and stop him. A older guy from Africa, an middle-aged Asian guy with a long ponytail, and an Indian guy about priest-age blessed the sacrament. Ashish listened intently to the talks. The first talk was a farewell for a sister going to the Bangalore mission. The departing sister was awesome and talked about the Holy Ghost and bore her testimony. The second was the branch president, who said he used to serve in the Indian Navy. I don't think he was part of the planned program but the departing sister gave a pretty short talk so it seemed like the branch president decided to do some extemporizing. His talk was mostly in Hindi but I heard works like "Book of Mormon" and "testimony" thrown in there. The last was a district high councilman. He talked about families but also spent a lot of time encouraging the members to work hard to become a stake.

After the meeting, a bunch of missionaries came over and shook Ashish's hand, as well as the branch president and others. Asish said, "I've driven thousands of people to christian churches over the years and this is the first time I've ever gone inside." As he went to get the car, I spotted a paperback Book of Mormon sitting on the shelf, the kind that missionaries give out. I asked the missionaries if I could give it to Ashish and they said "go for it". When we got to the car I gave it to him as a gift. He made the sign of the cross when I gave it to him and promised to read "the holy book". I got a chuckle out of that.

Going to church in small branches is awesome.

BFM, that is awesome.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Attended the New Delhi 3rd Branch this morning. My driver, Ashish, parked the car and said he would wait for me for the hour. He asked what we did inside the church. I said, "You can come in and see for yourself if you like". I couldn't believe how fast he jumped at the opportunity. When we got there we were 30 minutes early. The building was locked and we stood around outside waiting for someone with the keys to come. A handful of members were already waiting.

Ashish was full of questions. He said, "Are you sure this is the right place? It doesn't look like a church" (it was an apartment building with mission offices on the top and church in the basement)
    I could tell it was the right place, even though there was no sign, because of the few people waiting around. You can just tell Mormons no matter where in the world you go. I assured him it was the right place. He asked, "Have you ever been here before?" I said, "No, this is my first time here". He seemed skeptical that we were in the right place.

He said, "I think I need a tie. All the gentlemen are wearing ties." I told him, "you'll be fine, don't worry". More members started dropping by the closer it got to the hour. They all came over and shook Ashish's hand as we waited around outside. Some guys weren't wearing ties and Ashish felt better.

There were about 40-50 people there. Indian families with ladies in colored saris, expat American families with blond kids, and a handful of Asians and Africans mixed in as well. Ashish was pretty amazed that they all came up and shook his hand and welcomed him. Once they unlocked the building at about 5 minutes to the hour, we all walked in and started setting up the chairs. Everyone helped out, including Ashish. He was amazed that there were expat American men, women and children setting up chairs alongside the Indians, Asians, and Africans and everyone was pitching in.

Once the meeting started, Ashish sang the hymns as best he could. He did all right for someone that had probably never sung a hymn before in his life. As they were preparing the sacrament he asked me what they were doing. I said "they're going to pray over the bread and water". He said, "ahh, then we drink the holy water". I told him, he could pass it by when it came to him but he was intent on taking it so I didn't make a scene and stop him. A older guy from Africa, an middle-aged Asian guy with a long ponytail, and an Indian guy about priest-age blessed the sacrament. Ashish listened intently to the talks. The first talk was a farewell for a sister going to the Bangalore mission. The departing sister was awesome and talked about the Holy Ghost and bore her testimony. The second was the branch president, who said he used to serve in the Indian Navy. I don't think he was part of the planned program but the departing sister gave a pretty short talk so it seemed like the branch president decided to do some extemporizing. His talk was mostly in Hindi but I heard works like "Book of Mormon" and "testimony" thrown in there. The last was a district high councilman. He talked about families but also spent a lot of time encouraging the members to work hard to become a stake.

After the meeting, a bunch of missionaries came over and shook Ashish's hand, as well as the branch president and others. Asish said, "I've driven thousands of people to christian churches over the years and this is the first time I've ever gone inside." As he went to get the car, I spotted a paperback Book of Mormon sitting on the shelf, the kind that missionaries give out. I asked the missionaries if I could give it to Ashish and they said "go for it". When we got to the car I gave it to him as a gift. He made the sign of the cross when I gave it to him and promised to read "the holy book". I got a chuckle out of that.

Going to church in small branches is awesome.
    This is touching. I was thinking this last week as we set up for our branch. No matter where we go in the world, we can expect that people will be there preparing for us all to worship. It will be prepared.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

BFM, that's a great story. I don't have anything near as interesting to tell. I did attend the Capitol Hill Ward, and the visiting High Councilor gave a great talk on Sabbath observance. Both councilors in the bishopric had beards.

A returned missionary spoke as well. He had a fascinating way of speaking which I'm not sure I've ever heard before. He obviously wasn't comfortable speaking in front of people, and was rather quiet. As he would pause to think before finishing a sentence, he would continue by starting softly with the last sound or syllable he had made, and then continue speaking. If that last word he spoke was charity, after the pause he would begin with the long e sound, and then continue. I tried not to let it distract me, but I couldn't help myself listening to it. Nice kid.

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    I've done that. Weird going to GD and listening to Indians discuss the finer points of The Restored Gospel.
    My story isn't as good as BFM's post, but this reminded me of a couple of years ago when we attended church in Page Arizona.

My wife and I were on a national park road trip and rarely made hotel reservations ahead of time. We learned the hard way that you might end up sleeping in the car on a Saturday night doing it that way. At a motel that was full, the guy said he knew a few people who ran bed and breakfasts and tracked down one for us. When we got there it was obvious that it was an LDS family. At breakfast Sunday morning we asked if they could find us the earliest meeting and they sent us to the Navajo ward. Those people are even more laid back than Hawaiians, which made it interesting.

One or more primary teachers hadn't showed up, so somehow my wife ended up helping with the class, which included a range of kids covering about four years. One of the kids said that he was tired and laid down on the floor and went to sleep. In both the High Priests group and in Relief Society, the lessons were half in Navajo and half in English. The older guys are trying to keep the language from dying out, but I expect it to be mostly gone in another generation. I found it very interesting listening to a language I've never heard before that is unrelated to any that I recognize.

Overall we quite enjoyed meeting with a humble people, trying their best to keep the commandments. One of the things I enjoy most about traveling is attending church somewhere new like that.

Attended church in West Virginia.

A few highlights:

• The Bishop/Bishopric member conducting Sacrament Meeting had a thick, full beard that rivaled that of any early leader of The Church. Came to mid chest.
    • The announcements included a call to assist with a community service project on firearms safety.
    • A sister spoke about growing up barefoot way back in the hills. She related how she and her children were found about 15 years ago by missionaries from the "West Coast," Utah and Idaho. Reminded me of how growing up in Utah we used to refer to "back East," which meant Missouri.
    • She testified strongly of the hope that Jesus gives us in working through our challenges. Very moving.
    • The building's footprint was odd. It was the standard 1980s-90s layout situated between the road and a forested slope. The footprint slanted in toward the slope. The chapel was located on the hillside end and the steeple was situated on the opposite end on the roadside end. That was weird to me. Shouldn't the steeple be on the chapel end?
    • Very happy I took time to attend.

Some of my favorite church experiences were attending in the little branch in Romney, WV.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson