Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the highest ranking US official who you've met?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
    Reagan, father and son Bush, Quayle, Clarence Thomas, Ted Kennedy, and C. Everett Koop.

Those are the first that come to mind. I know there are more.
    How?
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

I use to be on a committee for Gov. Mike Leavitt and got to sleep at the governor's mansion once. Gov. Leavitt said I slept in the same bed that the Dalai Lama slept in so I have that going for me... which is nice.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        How?
        It's common knowledge that I, like most people from Murray Utah, lived a life of refinement and privilege. I summered at Lake Powell and wintered at Alta/Snowbird. My luxurious lifestyle was peppered with opportunities to rub shoulders with the powerful elite.

I met Reagan a few times. The first was as a teenager at his campaign stop in Utah. Another time I met him at the White House. Bush '41 same type of situation. I met VP Quayle when I was getting a private tour of the Senate floor. Hung out in his nearby office and even sat in his chair.

Ted Kennedy is a close friend of an uncle. I met him at my grandmother's funeral. During his talk my uncle talked about Ted and how they were like brothers. After I fulfilled my pallbearer duties by placing grandma in the hearse I turned around, made my face look like I'd swallowed a lemon, and asked Ted if he was my uncles brother did that also make him my uncle? Laughter ensued, the mood lightened, and hearts were warmed. I also met his wife who in my opinion is a peach.

I met C. Everett at my grandparents home. I've met Thomas a couple of times I believe one of them as also at my grandparents home.

Comment

It's common knowledge that I, like most people from Murray Utah, lived a life of refinement and privilege. I summered at Lake Powell and wintered at Alta/Snowbird. My luxurious lifestyle was peppered with opportunities to rub shoulders with the powerful elite.

I met Reagan a few times. The first was as a teenager at his campaign stop in Utah. Another time I met him at the White House. Bush '41 same type of situation. I met VP Quayle when I was getting a private tour of the Senate floor. Hung out in his nearby office and even sat in his chair.

Ted Kennedy is a close friend of an uncle. I met him at my grandmother's funeral. During his talk my uncle talked about Ted and how they were like brothers. After I fulfilled my pallbearer duties by placing grandma in the hearse I turned around, made my face look like I'd swallowed a lemon, and asked Ted if he was my uncles brother did that also make him my uncle? Laughter ensued, the mood lightened, and hearts were warmed. I also met his wife who in my opinion is a peach.

I met C. Everett at my grandparents home. I've met Thomas a couple of times I believe one of them as also at my grandparents home.
          Can you get me into church headquarters to discuss their 401K plan?

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
            Can you get me into church headquarters to discuss their 401K plan?
            Surely the pittance made by state workers would not be worth your valuable time.

Let them eat cake.

Comment

Mike Leavitt and I rode up an elevator together a few months ago. Neither one of us acknowledged knowing who the other was.
              That got a hearty chuckle out of me.
              "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Surely the pittance made by state workers would not be worth your valuable time.

Let them eat cake.
                Of course I was kidding, but the state retirement plan is probably beyond enormous. I would also guess the churches 401K, it is actually, probably a 403b, is also enormous.

Comment

I did an internship in Governor Leavitt's office the year before law school. I got to sit in their staff meetings each week. The Guv would always drink a diet dr. pepper and eat a bag of microwave popcorn.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Of course I was kidding, but the state retirement plan is probably beyond enormous. I would also guess the churches 401K, it is actually, probably a 403b, is also enormous.
                    I know, so was I.

My dad held both the church and state accounts. If he were alive he could have got you in.

Comment

Oh, and I tended bar, serving drinks to Tip O'Neill, Carl Albert and multiple Senators and Congressmen, chatting them up the whole time.

Comment

Former Senator Jake Garn was at the funeral of one of my wife's relatives.

Senator Orrin Hatch was at my grandmother's funeral.

Yes, someone's gotta die for me to get anything around here...

Comment

Originally posted by U-Ute View Post
                          Senator Orrin Hatch was at my grandmother's funeral.
                          That's cool, he was at my grandma's as well.

Comment

I've met Utah Gov's: Bangerter, Huntsman, Herbert. When I was growing up, my dad was Orrin's mother's home teacher. That's all I got.
                            "Remember to double tap"

Comment

Boyd K. Packer spoke at my grandmother's funeral and President GBH spoke at my Uncle's funeral. He was sister Hinckley's physician.

Comment

Boyd K. Packer spoke at my grandmother's funeral and President GBH spoke at my Uncle's funeral. He was sister Hinckley's physician. That Uncle also got the only hit off of Sachel Page when they were touring Utah and played the Brigham City Peaches.

Comment

Working...
                                X