Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the highest ranking US official who you've met?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
    Reagan, father and son Bush, Quayle, Clarence Thomas, Ted Kennedy, and C. Everett Koop.

Those are the first that come to mind. I know there are more.
    I meant Reagan on one of his annual check ups at the Mayo Clinic. Very cordial to a then-teenager.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

I shook Dan Quayle's hand.

Gary Hart was standing in a lobby waiting for his ride when a couple cute coeds came strolling by and I caught him checking out if their backs looked as good as their fronts. I'm not sure how many students knew who he was, but I was kind of observing him out of the corner of my eye given his past chicanery and the presence of young, cute females around. That guy could have very well won it all in 1988 without Monkey Business.
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

While a member of the Ricks Republican club I met Phil Batt and Larry Echohawk while campaigning for governer. Met Batt twice before and once after while serving at Idaho FAlls convention. Marched in parade with Mike Simpson and shot the breeze with him while campaigning. And Richard Stallings. Some people I knew saw Kerrys van between sun valley and twin falls. Heard he said a few four letter words whild skiing in sun valley.

Highest ranks I have met in person. I know people that know Bill Wright who was a Utah State Legislature. SAid huntsman just watched tv in office all afternoon didn't do much.

Comment

For anyone who would like to meet him, Brigadier General Jake Garn is coming to our armory in West Jordan tomorrow. It's named after him, and was recently renovated, so we're having a ribbon cutting ceremony at 3pm. We have his space suit on display in the front entryway.

Comment

I interned for Orrin Hatch my last year of college. He offered me a full-time job, but I declined in order to go the business / MBA route. I do have a signed picture of him and me hanging in my den. This probably makes me even less popular around here. I met other members of Congress, too, including Gordon Smith.
            Last edited by Crockett; 02-15-2018, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Mitt Romney. He’s friend with MJ’s uncle and I met him at MJ’s cousins wedding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

wait, jake garn is still alive?
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                  wait, jake garn is still alive?
                  Thanks to Doonesbury, I still think of him as Barfin' Jake Garn.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    I use to be on a committee for Gov. Mike Leavitt and got to sleep at the governor's mansion once. Gov. Leavitt said I slept in the same bed that the Dalai Lama slept in so I have that going for me... which is nice.
                    As an update I have met Bush Jr at a few events around in the Big D... He seems just as dumb in person.

Shaka is by far the thread winner, however.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                      As an update I have met Bush Jr at a few events around in the Big D... He seems just as dumb in person.

Shaka is by far the thread winner, however.
                      Get outta here. Nobody can touch MBN in this category.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Get outta here. Nobody can touch MBN in this category.
                        Well, if he doesn't post it he can't claim it.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Among the more influential/notorious politicians I've met:

Al Gore
                          Spiro Agnew
                          Bob Dole
                          Yitzhak Rabin (not American)
                          Orrin Hatch
                          Bob Bennett
                          Jake Garn
                          Mike Leavitt
                          Newt Gingrich
                          John Kasich
                          Robert Byrd
                          Rick Santorum
                          Jesse Helms
                          Ted Kennedy

I've met other congressmen and senators, but those are the ones who stand out.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                            Have I ever mentioned Mitt and I were in the mission home in SLC together? We didn't hang out much.

Mitt's dad George was the SP in the first Stake I served in in the Detroit area.

Mike Leavitt and I rode up an elevator together a few months ago. Neither one of us acknowledged knowing who the other was.
                            Surprising that he had that much self control.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I stood in front of Huckadope in a men's room once.
                              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                                I stood in front of Huckadope in a men's room once.
                                That's not what I am talking about!
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X