Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite movie of the 80s?

Troop Beverly Hills on DirecTV channel 294 right now.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Ha I forgot that Kareem had a cameo in TBH. Not bad....Game of Death with Bruce Lee to Troop Beverly Hills.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Quote Originally Posted by venkman View Post
    Robocop was pretty cool back in the day.
    I was but a lad who was traumatized by the trio of super violent scenes in this movie when it first came out, and didn't remember much about the subtleties of the plot or dialogue or what have you. I watched it the other day on Hulu and realize it was actually fairly dumb. Ghostbusters, on the other hand, is still pretty hilarious. I appreciate it now more than ever.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    I was but a lad who was traumatized by the trio of super violent scenes in this movie when it first came out, and didn't remember much about the subtleties of the plot or dialogue or what have you. I watched it the other day on Hulu and realize it was actually fairly dumb. Ghostbusters, on the other hand, is still pretty hilarious. I appreciate it now more than ever.
    My favorite scene from Robocop is when the first prototype malfunctions and blows away the corporate officer who was serving as a test dummy. There's blood all over the room, the prototype's machine gun barrels are kicking out smoke in the background, other people are in shock, but Dan O'Herlihy, playing the Chairman of the Board, simply lowers and shakes his head, and says, "Dick, I'm very disappointed." I use that line frequently in expressing my displeasure over the many things that go awry in my life.

Back to the Future I love, I can't help but watch parts of it when it's on TV. Zemeckis is still around and 2015 will be to 1985 what 1985 was to 1955. On one hand, I would absolutely watch a 2015 version of it but I'd almost certainly be disappointed.

But, IMO, that show has held up extremely well.

Love Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade.

Aliens, I think is the still the best sci if action flick ever. That's James Cameron's best movie.

Then there's the trend setting Die Hard. How many dozens of movies in the first half of the 90s cribbed off Die Hard? None of them were as good however.

While the 70s had those epic dramas that have held up well (the Godfather movies), the 80s have all those action and sci fi movies that are so rewatchable.

Then you've got the John Hughes movies which I still like, still the best teen movies ever.

Stand By Me is one of my top 3 from that decade. Back to the Future, Raiders and Stand By Me.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    I can see that it wouldn't really hold up. We used the line "I LIKE IT!!!" (from the dude who tests out a rocket launcher on some random car on the street) incessantly growing up. I was also shocked by the scene where pre-Robocop gets shot to hell. Seeing it again a few years ago, I was like "no biggie".

Of course, I agree on Ghostbusters.
    Last edited by venkman; 12-17-2013 at 11:06 PM.
    "Remember to double tap"

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    By sheer volume: Major League. I would watch this movie, with a group of teammates/friends, before every baseball game from the time it came out until, I graduated from HS.
    "I only got one thing to say to you...strike this motherfucker OUT!"
    "Remember to double tap"

CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar

"I only got one thing to say to you...strike this motherfucker OUT!"
    "Forget about the fastball, Ricky, give him the heater!" As catcher, this become a go to line on the mound.

"You may run like Hayes, but you hit like shit!"
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

I'll never forget sitting in the movie theater during The Naked Gun when I was a kid. Never before or since in my experience has an entire theater full of people laughed out loud as often as they did that day. Major League would have to be in my top 5 as well. NLV and Better off Dead were family favorites as I was growing up, so I'd have to include those.

War Games. I loved that show and watched it many times.
    Better off Dead and Bill and Ted's round out my trinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    "Forget about the fastball, Ricky, give him the heater!" As catcher, this become a go to line on the mound.

"You may run like Hayes, but you hit like shit!"
    "You trying to tell me Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?"
    "Remember to double tap"

CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar

"You trying to tell me Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?"
    "Up yours Jobu! Hey bartender, Jobu needs a refill!"
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Fletch
    Ghostbusters
    John Hughes films (I still watch The Breakfast Club, 16 Candles, Weird Science, and Mr. Mom at least once a year and my wife has Pretty in Pink memorized)
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

I just came home to find my kids watching Gremlins. It is one of their favorite "Christmas" movies. Phoebe Cates character, Kate has the most tragically awesome Christmas story ever. Such a great, bad movie to rewatch.

First this:

Now THIS!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Now THIS!?!?
    Anyone else doing "I am an FBI agent!" is just clowning the clown.
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Now THIS!?!?
    That looks really terrible. But Point Break is from the 90s and it was directed by Kathryn Bigelow.

These movie directors just can't help themselves with the CGI bullshit. Who sits there and is impressed by some obviously computer generated scene like the one where the guy is outrunning the rockslide on the motorcycle?

The Mr. Plinkett reviews of the Star Wars prequels mock George Lucas mercilessly on this point.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

BYU Delenda Est Mormon Red Death's Avatar
    the Planet Lovetron, bringing funkiness to all over the world

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Anyone else doing "I am an FBI agent!" is just clowning the clown.
    Now THIS!?!?
    I'm still seeing it
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Philosopher of Men Sleeping in EQ's Avatar

There are so many, but I have great memories watching the first Batman with Michael Keaton, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Star Trek IV, and The Empire Strikes Back in the theater.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Watched Point Break the other night (Still on my DVR list to watch forever)..

Saw the trailer and puked.. Dumbasses...

Nothing can replace that brilliant movie combination of Keanue Reeves and Gary Busey!!

My 16 year-old son saw Farris Bueller's Day Off for the first time this past weekend. Loved it.

I haven't seen it in a while, but I think I'm going to need to quote Charlie Sheen for a lesson I'm doing Sunday.

I'm geeked to see both Vacation and Point Break.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    I'm geeked to see both Vacation and Point Break.
    Just wished they could have got Anthony Michael Hall to play Russ again.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Epitome of 80s movies, dropped on youtube today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Quote Originally Posted by Armenag View Post
    Epitome of 80s movies, dropped on youtube today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg
    Ha, I was just about to post this.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Die Hard is 30 years old today. This both excites and confuses me. I would have bet my life that it was a Christmas (or at least Thanksgiving) release. DH and Terminator 1&2 are the only action movies from the 80s that i will re-watch, no matter what I have going on, when I see them on cable.

Die Hard is 30 years old today. This both excites and confuses me. I would have bet my life that it was a Christmas (or at least Thanksgiving) release. DH and Terminator 1&2 are the only action movies from the 80s that i will re-watch, no matter what I have going on, when I see them on cable.
    just looked it up. said the release date was July 15, 1988.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    just looked it up. said the release date was July 15, 1988.
    Certainly not the first time that AV's offering is severely premature, and surely won't be the last, either.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Certainly not the first time that AV's offering is severely premature, and surely won't be the last, either.
    apparently the premiere was July 12. but release date was the 15th. so maybe he's partially correct.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk