Your favorite movie of the 80s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favorite movie of the 80s?

I'm 36, so the 80s were my elementary and jr. high years. I bet I watched The Karate Kid and Hoosiers 20 times each back then, and I could watch them both now and enjoy them just as much I think (I watched KK last night and loved it, now that I'm older I can understand more of Pat Morita's lines through the accent). For me, best of the 80s is a tie between Karate Kid and Hoosiers.

Drama: Witness

Action: Die Hard

Comedy: Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Horror: Fatal Attraction -- should be required viewing for every married man on a yearly basis

Others that come to mind: Rain Man, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Back to the Future

Comment

Tough call. Among my faves were Ordinary People, Amadeus, Raiders, and sentimental nods to Airplane! and Caddyshack. But I could probably come up with at least twenty other contenders, speaking of which: Raging Bull.

And CC's right about Fatal Attraction. Any guy that saw that movie was bound to be faithful for many months after.

Comment

Some of my favorites would include Trading Places, Terminator, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, E.T., Raiders of the Lost Ark, Chariots of Fire, The Killing Fields, Die Hard. The great thing about good 80s movies is that they get replayed on the cable stations fairly frequently.
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

I watched "Iron Eagle" and "Rocky IV" so much that the VHS tape began to wear out. I watched "Missing in Action II" quite a bit as well. There was a movie called "One Crazy Summer" that i thought was the funniest thing ever made. You couldn't pay me to watch these today. I think "Goonies," "Raiders of the Lost Ark," "Temple of Doom," "Raising Arizona," and "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" are still great though.

Comment

The weekly 80s movie thread...didn't see this coming!

Can't pick one. Really like: Blade Runner, Terminator, Raging Bull, Amadeus, The Shining, Back to the Future, Raising Arizona, Blood Simple, Fast Times, Scarface, Spinal Tap, Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, Big Trouble in Little China, Ferris, Better Off Dead, The Goonies, Beetlejuice, A Christmas Story, Spaceballs, Pink Floyd: The Wall, Batman, The Naked Gun, etc.

And there's probably a whole bunch more I'm forgetting.

EDIT: On sheer number of views, Big Trouble in Little China, The Last Dragon, and Troop Beverly Hills would definitely lead the pack
            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

My favorite movie of all time is from the 80's: Field of Dreams

My second favorite is currently on my TV right now: Back to the Future

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                Smart ass. Point me to the last 80s movie thread, and if it was within the last 2 weeks I'll to you.

Comment

Field of Dreams is just magic. That movie totally rules and I'd list it among my favorites ever. I swear I cry every single time.
                  So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Can't pick one. Really like: Really like Blade Runner, Terminator, Raging Bull, Amadeus, The Shining, Back to the Future, Raising Arizona, Blood Simple, Fast Times, Scarface, Spinal Tap, Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, Big Trouble in Little China, Ferris, Better Off Dead, The Goonies, Beetlejuice, A Christmas Story, Spaceballs, Pink Floyd: The Wall, Batman, The Naked Gun, etc.

And there's probably a whole bunch more I'm forgetting.
                    Wow, Pink Floyd: The Wall. I still have that on VHS sitting among my DVD collection. Right next to the "Guitar Method:In the Style of Pink Floyd" guitar technique VHS tape (unfortunately from the 90s).

Comment

Field of Dreams is just magic. That movie totally rules and I'd list it among my favorites ever. I swear I cry every single time.
                      Field of Dreams and Hoosiers are both great. Bull Durham seemed overrated to me, but I think I only saw it once.

Comment

Shortly after that movie came out, Time commented that it was perhaps the first movie where the female half of a movie couple would leave the theater first, as her male companion would tell her "he'd be out in a minute." Composing oneself took awhile after the great final scene when Ray asks his dad if he'd like to have a catch.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                          Bull Durham seemed overrated to me, but I think I only saw it once.
                          Agreed, except that I watched again years later and still didn't get much from the movie. If we're talking baseball movies, Field of Dreams and The Natural were much more enjoyable for me. While I'm thinking about it, does anyone remember The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai - now there was a strange 80s movie.
                          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Amen. I love that movie. It's my number one of all time. Have you read the book by W.P. Kinsella Shoeless Joe? Worth checking out IMO. I bought it probably 10 years ago or so. I really loved it. But the most interesting thing about the book is the foreword written by Kinsella. He basically dashes any hope and wonder out of the book and movie by saying that there is no magic. I read it after I finished the book and was really saddened that this man who crafts this amazing story of dreams and coming home with baseball as that vehicle says it's all bullshit.

There is a book out that I want to read called Chasing Moonlight. It's the real life story of Archibald Graham. It sounds like he was even more amazing than the movie portrayed him as.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X