No announcement yet.

Your favorite movie of the 80s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troop Beverly Hills on DirecTV channel 294 right now.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Ha I forgot that Kareem had a cameo in TBH. Not bad....Game of Death with Bruce Lee to Troop Beverly Hills.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by venkman View Post
        Robocop was pretty cool back in the day.
        I was but a lad who was traumatized by the trio of super violent scenes in this movie when it first came out, and didn't remember much about the subtleties of the plot or dialogue or what have you. I watched it the other day on Hulu and realize it was actually fairly dumb. Ghostbusters, on the other hand, is still pretty hilarious. I appreciate it now more than ever.
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
          I was but a lad who was traumatized by the trio of super violent scenes in this movie when it first came out, and didn't remember much about the subtleties of the plot or dialogue or what have you. I watched it the other day on Hulu and realize it was actually fairly dumb. Ghostbusters, on the other hand, is still pretty hilarious. I appreciate it now more than ever.
          My favorite scene from Robocop is when the first prototype malfunctions and blows away the corporate officer who was serving as a test dummy. There's blood all over the room, the prototype's machine gun barrels are kicking out smoke in the background, other people are in shock, but Dan O'Herlihy, playing the Chairman of the Board, simply lowers and shakes his head, and says, "Dick, I'm very disappointed." I use that line frequently in expressing my displeasure over the many things that go awry in my life.

Comment

Back to the Future I love, I can't help but watch parts of it when it's on TV. Zemeckis is still around and 2015 will be to 1985 what 1985 was to 1955. On one hand, I would absolutely watch a 2015 version of it but I'd almost certainly be disappointed.

But, IMO, that show has held up extremely well.

Love Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade.

Aliens, I think is the still the best sci if action flick ever. That's James Cameron's best movie.

Then there's the trend setting Die Hard. How many dozens of movies in the first half of the 90s cribbed off Die Hard? None of them were as good however.

While the 70s had those epic dramas that have held up well (the Godfather movies), the 80s have all those action and sci fi movies that are so rewatchable.

Then you've got the John Hughes movies which I still like, still the best teen movies ever.

Stand By Me is one of my top 3 from that decade. Back to the Future, Raiders and Stand By Me.
            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
              I can see that it wouldn't really hold up. We used the line "I LIKE IT!!!" (from the dude who tests out a rocket launcher on some random car on the street) incessantly growing up. I was also shocked by the scene where pre-Robocop gets shot to hell. Seeing it again a few years ago, I was like "no biggie".

Of course, I agree on Ghostbusters.
              Last edited by venkman; 12-17-2013, 10:06 PM.
              "Remember to double tap"

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                By sheer volume: Major League. I would watch this movie, with a group of teammates/friends, before every baseball game from the time it came out until, I graduated from HS.
                "I only got one thing to say to you...strike this motherfucker OUT!"
                "Remember to double tap"

Comment

"I only got one thing to say to you...strike this motherfucker OUT!"
                  "Forget about the fastball, Ricky, give him the heater!" As catcher, this become a go to line on the mound.

"You may run like Hayes, but you hit like shit!"
                  "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

I'll never forget sitting in the movie theater during The Naked Gun when I was a kid. Never before or since in my experience has an entire theater full of people laughed out loud as often as they did that day. Major League would have to be in my top 5 as well. NLV and Better off Dead were family favorites as I was growing up, so I'd have to include those.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

War Games. I loved that show and watched it many times.
                      Better off Dead and Bill and Ted's round out my trinity.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                        "Forget about the fastball, Ricky, give him the heater!" As catcher, this become a go to line on the mound.

"You may run like Hayes, but you hit like shit!"
                        "You trying to tell me Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?"
                        "Remember to double tap"

Comment

"You trying to tell me Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?"
                          "Up yours Jobu! Hey bartender, Jobu needs a refill!"
                          "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Fletch
                            Ghostbusters
                            John Hughes films (I still watch The Breakfast Club, 16 Candles, Weird Science, and Mr. Mom at least once a year and my wife has Pretty in Pink memorized)
                            "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

I just came home to find my kids watching Gremlins. It is one of their favorite "Christmas" movies. Phoebe Cates character, Kate has the most tragically awesome Christmas story ever. Such a great, bad movie to rewatch.

Comment

First this:

Comment

Working...
                                X