Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A weekend with shingles

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    No can do. I’m getting a multipurpose central light fixture to display my copper cookware.
    how is that copper chef stuff? their infomercial is awesome
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    how is that copper chef stuff? their infomercial is awesome
    I ordered in the first 20 minutes, so I got twice as much! And only 10.95 shipping. The aerial display is going to be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Have you considered quartzite? It is better than granite or quartz, and can be a bit pricey.
    Interesting. I was out at the slab yard today and found none of this to be true, though I understand some of these things vary regionally. The quartzite was 10/sf less than the slabs I chose.

We went quartz 10 years ago because of the stain factor. Granite is porous and can stain, while quartz is sealed. Worth every penny.

Oh, and I started hiding our good knives because my kids AND my wife were cutting on it directly. Grrr.

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    Interesting. I was out at the slab yard today and found none of this to be true, though I understand some of these things vary regionally. The quartzite was 10/sf less than the slabs I chose.
    It depends on the brand of quartzite. The version which was recommended to us, which I rejected due to price, would have tripled the cost of a new modest counter.

You can find expensive and less expensive in all of the materials. The price ranges are quite large
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

we walked through a place with soapstone countertops. didn’t know they were a thing, but love them.

Pre-Historic Man

we walked through a place with soapstone countertops. didn’t know they were a thing, but love them.
    Is soapstone a soft stone or hard stone? What type of maintenance is required?

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Is soapstone a soft stone or hard stone? What type of maintenance is required?
    no idea, that’s my wife’s problem. but it looks nice.

Pre-Historic Man

no idea, that’s my wife’s problem. but it looks nice.
    Here's what a quick search reveals:

Origin: Soapstone is a natural stone, like granite, that is quarried. It’s composed mostly of mineral talc, which makes it quite soft, but soapstone used for countertops typically has higher percentages of quartz in it, which makes it harder and more suitable as a kitchen surface.

Pros: Beautiful natural grey color, smooth matte feel, resistant to etching from acids, scratches can be sanded or oiled away; great surface for making pastries.

Cons: Requires maintenance; not as heat resistant as granite; not impervious to dents and scratches; regular oiling and buffing recommended; the color darkens with age (which may be a pro for some).

Soapstone won't work because I want a whiter stone. I went with leathered granite.