A weekend with shingles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A weekend with shingles

Anybody out there have any special tips about how to shingle a roof? My brother and I are shingling my parents roof this weekend (read: tomorrow from sun-up til sundown) and neither of us has ever shingled a roof from start to finish (we've both helped a handful of times on other shingling projects, so we've got the general idea) so any tips would be helpful.

We'll be using 3-tab asphalt shingles, which should help keep the project simple. It also helps that the house is quite small, only has a single intersecting gable, and has no chimney. From my research, it looks like we won't need to scrape the old shingles off, as there's only one layer. Also, the contractor we ordered the shingles through says we don't even need to lay down tar paper because St. George doesn't get enough rain/snow to merit it. Anyone have a differing opinions?

My main questions are regarding the valleys. Which way of shingling the valleys would be best for two moderately-handy beginners? Could we handle a weave, or should we forget it and do a cut valley? Also, should we work from the edges into the valleys, or the valleys outward?

I understand the basics of the shingling pattern, drip edge, where to align the seams, where to nail, how to cap, etc, but is there anything huge i'm missing? Any tips that will make the job go smoother?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

How can you blow a whole day shingling when you've got all this shoe shopping to do?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      Anybody out there have any special tips about how to shingle a roof? My brother and I are shingling my parents roof this weekend (read: tomorrow from sun-up til sundown) and neither of us has ever shingled a roof from start to finish (we've both helped a handful of times on other shingling projects, so we've got the general idea) so any tips would be helpful.

We'll be using 3-tab asphalt shingles, which should help keep the project simple. It also helps that the house is quite small, only has a single intersecting gable, and has no chimney. From my research, it looks like we won't need to scrape the old shingles off, as there's only one layer. Also, the contractor we ordered the shingles through says we don't even need to lay down tar paper because St. George doesn't get enough rain/snow to merit it. Anyone have a differing opinions?

My main questions are regarding the valleys. Which way of shingling the valleys would be best for two moderately-handy beginners? Could we handle a weave, or should we forget it and do a cut valley? Also, should we work from the edges into the valleys, or the valleys outward?

I understand the basics of the shingling pattern, drip edge, where to align the seams, where to nail, how to cap, etc, but is there anything huge i'm missing? Any tips that will make the job go smoother?
      You're a good Pho King son for doing this.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

How'd it go?
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

So we ended up having more help than anticipated (my bro-in law and my parents' neighbor chipped in for about 8 hours) and it was still a 13-hour endeavor. Exhausted both mentally and physically, we nailed the final pieces of cap at about 8:30 pm on Saturday.

The project took longer than anticipated for two reasons: 1) my parents actually ended up using an architectural, hi-def shingle, which looks nicer and is more forgiving in its application, but is much more difficult to cut (because it is twice as thick in many places. Halfway through the day we realized that sacrificing a pair of tinsnips for cutting the shingles was much easier and quicker than the utility-knife approach. This also made for cleaner cuts around the vents, etc.), and 2) shingling around the roof-mounted air conditioner was an absolute pain in the ass. The a/c unit was actually installed over the original shingles, so we had to devise our own plan/pattern for shingling around the stand and the AC-ducting. It involved a lot of cuts and roofing cement, and ended up taking me and my bro 4-5 hours just to work over that section. Fortunately, the other team kept plugging along.

The valleys ended up being simpler than expected. We went with the weave approach, because that's what my dad said he wanted. It doesn't look quite as crisp as a cut-valley, but it looks fine just the same.

All in all, it was nice to be able to provide some help to my parents while simultaneously increasing my appreciation the office job my education has afforded me. I'm sore as can be from all the crouching, bending, and lifting, but i'll be back to normal in another day or so, I suppose.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I have had the chicken pox twice. The last time, I was 16, and it was hell on earth. I had scabs everywhere, fevers so bad I had to be placed in an ice-filled bathtub, and a couple of massive clusters of pox that formed shingles on me (my right flank, my back, and my scalp.

I'm now 44. Every year I ask my physician for the shingles vaccine, and he says, every year, that I'm too young still.

Today, a co-worker came in with a huge red, bumpy rash on her face, saying she had had a reaction to some makeup. I took her at her word. She inhabited the same working space as I did, touching the departmental fridge and other surfaces that I also did. Tonight, she emails me and says that she has been diagnosed with shingles.

Yall, I am kind of freaking out. I felt like the chicken pox is as close to death as I have ever come. Shingles absolutely terrifies me. I'm probably overreacting....talk me down.

Comment

Sorry, can't talk you down here. Shingles sucked and I only had a very mild case. Painful sores. Postherpetic neuralgia isn't any picnic either if you're unfortunate enough to get that. My grandma had it so bad they implanted one of those spinal cord stimulators.

Comment

the thing that always comforts me in times of anxiety over impending pain is the fact that our lives are but an immeasurably small blip on the continuum of time and the sweet release of death is just around the corner for us all. even if life is lived in outright misery and debilitating physical and emotional anguish, it will all be over soon. either that or time is a flat circle and we’re doomed to relive our pain for eternity.

edit: i like those green asphalt shingles, but my wife tells me they’re lame. thoughts?
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                  the thing that always comforts me in times of anxiety over impending pain is the fact that our lives are but an immeasurably small blip on the continuum of time and the sweet release of death is just around the corner for us all. even if life is lived in outright misery and debilitating physical and emotional anguish, it will all be over soon. either that or time is a flat circle and we’re doomed to relive our pain for eternity.
                  Very comforting. Thank you.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

edit: i like those green asphalt shingles, but my wife tells me they’re lame. thoughts?
                    I say lame but on occasion they could work, like if you had a modern house design and colors that go with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                      Sorry, can't talk you down here. Shingles sucked and I only had a very mild case. Painful sores. Postherpetic neuralgia isn't any picnic either if you're unfortunate enough to get that. My grandma had it so bad they implanted one of those spinal cord stimulators.
                      A friend of mine has that. Sounds horrible.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Your wife may have better judgement than I thought.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

The doctors said I had shingles when I was in 5th grade. Don't know if that is really possible, but they said it wasn't chicken pox again, but shingles. I also had pneumonia that year during the first week of school. Crazy year.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            Your wife may have better judgement than I thought.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                              I'm probably overreacting....talk me down.

You can't catch shingles from anyone else. The only way you get shingles is if your chickenpox virus re-activates.

https://www.healthline.com/health/shingles-contagious

Shingles is a condition caused by the varicella-zoster virus — the same virus that causes chickenpox. Shingles itself is not contagious. You can’t spread the condition to another person. However, the varicella-zoster virus is contagious, and if you have shingles, you can spread the virus to another person, which could then cause them to develop chickenpox.

Comment

Working...
                              X