A weekend with shingles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
    You can't catch shingles from anyone else. The only way you get shingles is if your chickenpox virus re-activates.

https://www.healthline.com/health/shingles-contagious
    Yeah, a buddy of mine who is a pathologist told me last night, "Dude, Mac, the only way you're going to get shingles is if you stay super stressed out about getting shingles. You can't catch them from someone else if you've already had the chicken pox. Chill out, man."

Few things make me panic. Chicken pox is one of them. I don't think I've panicked like last night since I sliced open my leg (to the bone) at age 13 and needed 70 stitched to sew it back up. I was sitting in a rocking chair on the front porch sort of oh-shitting when my wife tripped a breaker (microwave, toaster, and waffle maker all on same circuit at the same time) and it snapped me out of it.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

One son got chicken pox from the varicella vaccine itself. The other was accidentally vaccinated three times instead of two. (But then who’s counting when you’re injecting live viruses into somebody else’s kid?!?)

Somewhat more germane to the original topic, I need to remodel a kitchen as it was originally constructed in 1949. Everyone is telling me quartz is the only way to go, but I can’t figure out why. The designer’s only explanation was “it’s just one of those things.” We are not persuaded by this reasoning.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
        One son got chicken pox from the varicella vaccine itself. The other was accidentally vaccinated three times instead of two. (But then who’s counting when you’re injecting live viruses into somebody else’s kid?!?)

Somewhat more germane to the original topic, I need to remodel a kitchen as it was originally constructed in 1949. Everyone is telling me quartz is the only way to go, but I can’t figure out why. The designer’s only explanation was “it’s just one of those things.” We are not persuaded by this reasoning.
        i don't like quartz. usually looks like cheap formica.
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
          the thing that always comforts me in times of anxiety over impending pain is the fact that our lives are but an immeasurably small blip on the continuum of time and the sweet release of death is just around the corner for us all. even if life is lived in outright misery and debilitating physical and emotional anguish, it will all be over soon. either that or time is a flat circle and we’re doomed to relive our pain for eternity.

edit: i like those green asphalt shingles, but my wife tells me they’re lame. thoughts?
          I wish I saw this post earlier. I had shingles this summer and could've used some comfort. At least I don't have any long lasting nerve pain.
          "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
          "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
          This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
          "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
          "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Wow! This thread has now gone in three directions.
            1. I installed shingles on a shed that I built years ago. The shed was 120 square feet, so the roof wasn't much more than that. It wasn't that bad of a job, but it taught me that I did not want to shingle a whole house. My son-in-law volunteered to do my dad's free standing garage about 15 years ago and found out what a huge job it is. He was almost sorry for taking on the task.
            2. As for the disease, my doctor kept bugging me about getting a shingles vaccine and I kept saying that I didn't even know anybody who had had the disease and telling him no. Then I actually asked around a bit and found a whole bunch of people who had gone through it. I got the vaccine. I don't want to go through that. I still don't get flu shots, though.
            3. My new house has quartz counters in the kitchen and bathrooms and I like it better than granite. You don't have to worry about it discoloring when you get stuff on it like you do with granite but you have the other advantages of granite, like not being able to burn it with a hot pan. And ours doesn't look cheap. I haven't really looked at it much on other homes to see if some of it looks cheaper.

Comment

Because if you do granite, people will think you remodeled 10 years ago.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

We got granite 12-13 years ago and we have been happy with it overall.

Advantage: super durable. zero maintenance, looks nice
                Disadvange: not as pretty as natural stone
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Granite is not a natural stone?
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Granite isn’t natural stone? It was when we installed it ten years ago. We found the primary disadvantage to be the exponential increase in shatter shards when kids would drop dishes or glassware.

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    If I use quartz, five years from now people will think I remodeled ten years ago.

Comment

Granite isn’t natural stone? It was when we installed it ten years ago. We found the primary disadvantage to be the exponential increase in shatter shards when kids would drop dishes or glassware.

If I use quartz, five years from now people will think I remodeled ten years ago.
                      Dang it. Sorry, I meant quartz.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        truth. get some dark cabinets, gaudy carved range hood and tiffany pendant lights over the island to complete the look!
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                          truth. get some dark cabinets, gaudy carved range hood and tiffany pendant lights over the island to complete the look!
                          No can do. I’m getting a multipurpose central light fixture to display my copper cookware.

Comment

We did quartz and I have been happy with it. 8 years and no visible damage. Doesn’t stain and easy to clean. Drives me nuts that my kids use my knives directly on it.
                            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

I had been leaning toward leathered granite but the unanimity of y'all's feedback is freaking me out.

Comment

I had been leaning toward leathered granite but the unanimity of y'all's feedback is freaking me out.
                                Have you considered quartzite? It is better than granite or quartz, and can be a bit pricey.
                                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X