Retail Beef Outlook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
    Having read most of Omnivore's Dilemma I think I appreciate a lot more about how basically everything is made out of corn including cows. It hasn't made me want to stop eating anything, but the big insight which had never occurred to me is that to produce that much corn you need fertilizer that can only be produced in a process that requires massive amounts of petrol. Or IOW, the whole system has crude oil at the base of it.

Interesting from the standpoint that whenever we run out, much of the yield boost that technology brings to both corn and cattle will disappear too. Cows will probably then go back to turning the energy in grass into meat instead of turning essentially the energy in petroleum (at bottom) into meat.
    Actually, it's natural gas, not oil that we need for fertilizer, and we have a good century's worth of supply. Actual fuel consumption per bushel of corn produced is pretty low.

Originally posted by marsupial View Post
    Yes, as danimal said, I broke down and bought beef today. I'm putting my trust in you that those cows are not being mistreated and standing in their own filth and that corn is good for them.
    Happy cows are profitable cows. Excuse me... I need to go read bedtime stories to my calves now.
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Wife and I enjoyed a dinner of prime rib tonight. You can thank me later
      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
        Happy cows are profitable cows. Excuse me... I need to go read bedtime stories to my calves now.
        [YOUTUBE]K6gOQCKT0aU&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Actually, it's natural gas, not oil that we need for fertilizer, and we have a good century's worth of supply. Actual fuel consumption per bushel of corn produced is pretty low.
          Quite right, I misremembered. Still, it is not sustainable though that is a problem that is many generations away.

Comment

Had a fillet at the Texas Roadhouse last night. I wasn't too hungry so I just had a little 6 ouncer. TR doesn't have the best steak around but it's a good steak for the money and my kids like going there.

Comment

Tri-tip is out for an evening grill.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

I have been asked a number of times if I sell beef, and unfortunately I cannot figure out how to do it and keep shipping costs manageable. However, for those of you who are looking into buying a steer locally, I thought I'd share this information. Following are the weight of the various cuts that come from a typical steer as well as my estimation of the cuts most recent retail value. As you can see, purchasing an entire steer allows you to save approximately 25% off of retail value, which is substantial, but may not be worth it if you don't have the freezer space, or if you or only a one-cut kind of person. One of the reasons that the savings is not more substantial is that large packers can kill and cut a steer for about half of what a local butcher can. Anyway, here it is - if you have interest, I will update the prices periodically.

Code:
                Chuck				Pounds	$/Pound (Retail)
                Blade Roasts and Steaks		 29.7	 $  4.14 
                Arm Pot Roasts and Steaks	 31.1	 $  3.84 
                Cross Rib Pot Roast		 22.2	 $  3.22 
                Round		
                Top Round			 30.3	 $  3.40 
                Bottom Round			 27.3	 $  3.17 
                Tip				 14.7	 $  3.56 
                Rump				  6.8	 $  3.56 
                Thin Cuts		
                Flank Steak			  3.2	 $  5.38 
                Pastrami Squares		  2.5	 $  2.78 
                Outside Skirt			  1.9	 $  4.79 
                Inside skirt			  2.2	 $  4.79 
                Boneless Brisket		 14.0	 $  2.82 
                Short Loin		
                Tenderloin Steak		  6.0	 $ 17.13 
                Porterhouse Steak		 17.2	 $  8.20 
                T-bone Steak			  8.6	 $  8.20 
                Strip Steak			 13.1	 $  6.64 
                Sirloin Steak			 13.4	 $  6.45 
                Rib		
                Rib Roast			 20.9	 $  7.39 
                Rib Steak			  8.1	 $ 10.25 
                Short Ribs			  7.5	 $  6.37 
                Ground Beef and Stew Meat	212.8	 $  2.37 
                Misc.		
                Kidney and Hanging Tender	  4.3	
                Fat, Suet and Cutting Loss	211.4	

Total Carcass Wt.		   709.0	
                Total Meat			   493.3	
                Live Weight			 1,139.9	
                $/Pound Live			$    0.985 	
                Live Steer Value		$1,122.83 	
                Butcher Cost	 		$  271.33 	
                Total Wholesale Cost		$1,394.16 	
                Total Retail Value		$1,938.52 	
                Bulk Savings			$  544.35
                sigpic
                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

I have been asked a number of times if I sell beef, and unfortunately I cannot figure out how to do it and keep shipping costs manageable. However, for those of you who are looking into buying a steer locally, I thought I'd share this information. Following are the weight of the various cuts that come from a typical steer as well as my estimation of the cuts most recent retail value. As you can see, purchasing an entire steer allows you to save approximately 25% off of retail value, which is substantial, but may not be worth it if you don't have the freezer space, or if you or only a one-cut kind of person. One of the reasons that the savings is not more substantial is that large packers can kill and cut a steer for about half of what a local butcher can. Anyway, here it is - if you have interest, I will update the prices periodically.

Code:
                  Chuck				Pounds	$/Pound (Retail)
                  Blade Roasts and Steaks		 29.7	 $  4.14 
                  Arm Pot Roasts and Steaks	 31.1	 $  3.84 
                  Cross Rib Pot Roast		 22.2	 $  3.22 
                  Round		
                  Top Round			 30.3	 $  3.40 
                  Bottom Round			 27.3	 $  3.17 
                  Tip				 14.7	 $  3.56 
                  Rump				  6.8	 $  3.56 
                  Thin Cuts		
                  Flank Steak			  3.2	 $  5.38 
                  Pastrami Squares		  2.5	 $  2.78 
                  Outside Skirt			  1.9	 $  4.79 
                  Inside skirt			  2.2	 $  4.79 
                  Boneless Brisket		 14.0	 $  2.82 
                  Short Loin		
                  Tenderloin Steak		  6.0	 $ 17.13 
                  Porterhouse Steak		 17.2	 $  8.20 
                  T-bone Steak			  8.6	 $  8.20 
                  Strip Steak			 13.1	 $  6.64 
                  Sirloin Steak			 13.4	 $  6.45 
                  Rib		
                  Rib Roast			 20.9	 $  7.39 
                  Rib Steak			  8.1	 $ 10.25 
                  Short Ribs			  7.5	 $  6.37 
                  Ground Beef and Stew Meat	212.8	 $  2.37 
                  Misc.		
                  Kidney and Hanging Tender	  4.3	
                  Fat, Suet and Cutting Loss	211.4	

Total Carcass Wt.		   709.0	
                  Total Meat			   493.3	
                  Live Weight			 1,139.9	
                  $/Pound Live			$    0.985 	
                  Live Steer Value		$1,122.83 	
                  Butcher Cost	 		$  271.33 	
                  Total Wholesale Cost		$1,394.16 	
                  Total Retail Value		$1,938.52 	
                  Bulk Savings			$  544.35
                  Thanks for posting this. What about aging the beef? Would that be included in the cost or is that going to up the price some?
                  A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                    Thanks for posting this. What about aging the beef? Would that be included in the cost or is that going to up the price some?
                    Most butchers hang a carcass for a week to 10 days. If you want it aged longer, then you can do it cut by cut in your fridge before you grill it.
                    sigpic
                    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Most butchers hang a carcass for a week to 10 days. If you want it aged longer, then you can do it cut by cut in your fridge before you grill it.
                      Is there a benefit of hanging longer than 10 days? I know statman has posted his aged process and it looks good but probably more work than I'm willing to do.
                      A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                        Is there a benefit of hanging longer than 10 days? I know statman has posted his aged process and it looks good but probably more work than I'm willing to do.
                        Aging is just a natural tenderizing process. It makes steaks more tender, but it takes time. I don't age my steaks for extra time, and people have told me in the past that my steaks are the best they've ever eaten.
                        sigpic
                        Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Hey cowboy, if what this "article," and I use the term loosely, says it true, what does that mean for your industry, and beef prices in general?

http://www.northernag.net/AGNews/tab...4_fck.facebook
                          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

not cowboy

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                            Hey cowboy, if what this "article," and I use the term loosely, says it true, what does that mean for your industry, and beef prices in general?

I'm not cowboy, but R-CALF is a pretty active proganda outfit in cattle circles. Always focusing on the supposed evils of big government... kind of like the TEA partiers imho

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post

The R-Calf folks are the populist, conspiracy theorist fringe of the industry, so anything that comes from them needs a grain or two of salt. However, the EPA has been quietly creating regulatory nightmares for other industries, and it's just a matter of time before they hit agriculture. I've not heard of hay specifically being targeted as a pollutant, but I know there has been talk of dust regulations, etc. for farms. Obviously, that kind of regulation puts some folks out of business and increases costs for everyone. Since price seeks the cost of production, the consumer ultimately pays the bill.
                              sigpic
                              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

A plant that processes pink slime has now closed. For those of you who don't know what pink slime is, it's the lean trimmings from beef that are finely ground to an almost liquid form and added to hamburger to make it leaner. The nickname and some sensationalized stories about how it is made has turned consumers off. If anyone here is stupid enough to quit eating hamburger because of pink slime, I'll hunt you down and cut off your lips with toenail clippers.
                                sigpic
                                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Working...
                                X