Superbowl Sunday Plans & Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superbowl Sunday Plans & Recipes

What'cha got goin' on this Sunday? Do you host or do you attend somewhere else? Do you watch TV on Sunday or are you a no TV on Sunday kinda person?

We never host. If we do anything at all, we go to someone else's house for their party. Often we do nothing. I don't really care that much about the Superbowl game itself, although last year the game was pretty cool.

I definitely watch Lakers games on Sundays, but don't really watch the NFL because I don't follow it religiously like others here enjoy doing.

Our ward just switched to 9AM, so we have the entire afternoon open, which is nice. I have to do some home teaching, but we are off to friend's house at about 3PM. Should be fun....about 7 or 8 families from the ward plus kids, decent sized house so enough room for everyone. Weather should be nice, as well.

We are assigned to bring "snacks." That is very broad, so I am thinking of skipping the bagged chips (someone else will bring that, I am sure) and bringing homemade dip (bean dip, queso, etc).

Anyone have good suggestions for "snacks?" or a good dip recipe?

I also love date rumake, so I may bring some of that and blow everyone's minds with the fruity deliciousness.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

We usually get together with friends as well but I never have a good time because I actually want to sit down and watch the game and I hate breaking the sabbath. So I will buy a few papa murphys take and bake pizzas Saturday night and cook them up sunday after midnight. I dont watch TV on Sunday so I will TIVO the game and watch it at midnight.
    *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      I also love date rumake, so I may bring some of that and blow everyone's minds with the fruity deliciousness.
      Go for the rumake. I fill the dates with ricotta (a make-shift piping bag made from a Ziploc bag works great for this) and wrap them in bacon. Yum!
      Last edited by Donuthole; 01-29-2009, 10:15 AM.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Here's something to try:
        http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/28/di...o_interstitial

Only 5000 calories and a mere 500 g fat. Mmmm...
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Seriously...
          This is the dip recipe I want to try next:
          http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/12/...epper-dip.html

This is the blog that Surfah (I think) recommended a while ago on CG. These girls do a great job--everything I've tried on here has been really, really good.
          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
            Go for the rumake. I fill the dates with ricotta (a make-shift piping bag made from a Ziploc bag works great for this) and wrap them in bacon. Yum!
            you put ricotta inside the date? interesting....

sigpic

Comment

What'cha got goin' on this Sunday? Do you host or do you attend somewhere else? Do you watch TV on Sunday or are you a no TV on Sunday kinda person?

We never host. If we do anything at all, we go to someone else's house for their party. Often we do nothing. I don't really care that much about the Superbowl game itself, although last year the game was pretty cool.

I definitely watch Lakers games on Sundays, but don't really watch the NFL because I don't follow it religiously like others here enjoy doing.

Our ward just switched to 9AM, so we have the entire afternoon open, which is nice. I have to do some home teaching, but we are off to friend's house at about 3PM. Should be fun....about 7 or 8 families from the ward plus kids, decent sized house so enough room for everyone. Weather should be nice, as well.

We are assigned to bring "snacks." That is very broad, so I am thinking of skipping the bagged chips (someone else will bring that, I am sure) and bringing homemade dip (bean dip, queso, etc).

Anyone have good suggestions for "snacks?" or a good dip recipe?

No TV on Sunday for me, except SB Sunday. For the most part, like you, I couldn't care less about the game itself, but Mrs SMR likes the social aspect of the Super Bowl get togethers (can't really call them parties), etc, hence the reason we make the exception.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

I saw this on Good Eats the nother night and I'm going to give it a shot.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

Comment

you put ricotta inside the date? interesting....
                  I saw it on FN once, and decided to give it a try. It was a hit. Just work the pit out with a skewer and fill the void with creamy goodness. Wrap in thick bacon and bake in a piping hot oven (450) for about 15 mins.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                    No TV on Sunday for me, except SB Sunday. For the most part, like you, I couldn't care less about the game itself, but Mrs SMR likes the social aspect of the Super Bowl get togethers (can't really call them parties), etc, hence the reason we make the exception.
                    you dont watch the Jazz in the playoffs? or when they made the finals? i would have guessed yes because i know you love the jazz. obviously you love God more!

sigpic

Comment

you dont watch the Jazz in the playoffs? or when they made the finals? i would have guessed yes because i know you love the jazz. obviously you love God more!
                      Finals? Yes. Any other playoff game, probably not.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                        I saw it on FN once, and decided to give it a try. It was a hit. Just work the pit out with a skewer and fill the void with creamy goodness. Wrap in thick bacon and bake in a piping hot oven (450) for about 15 mins.
                        you can buy the pre-pitted, so I am one step ahead of you.

I am all over the ricotta. I use ricotta to stuff jalepenos (poppers), but hadn't thoought of it for dates.

I dont doubt it will be a hit. thanks.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                          Here's something to try:
                          http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/28/di...o_interstitial

Only 5000 calories and a mere 500 g fat. Mmmm...
                          I might try that when my EMT friend comes over to watch a game some time. I just want him there in case...
                          "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
                          —Abraham Maslow

Comment

We host a small group 10-15 people every year. In the past I have deep fried a turkey, or grilled ribs. This week there was an interesting chicken wing recipe in the paper that included Sriracha sauce that I love so much. I will probably make those.

I am also thinking of making some or DDD's butterscotch pudding, as I love butterscotch and if I am going to blow the NutriSystem for a day I might as well enjoy it.
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                              Finals? Yes. Any other playoff game, probably not.
                              I respect you.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X