Microwave on the fritz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    Which brings up an important question: what are the terms on a loan for repair or replacement of a microwave?
    I would think pretty much whatever the terms of your credit card are, since that's how most people do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
      The appliance repair person looked at the microwave. They'll have to replace the two most expensive parts. It will cost almost as much as buying a new one. And it will take a week to get the parts in.

Anymore, I'm thinking that when an appliance dies just get a new one, even if it's only two years old.

At least I'm thankful that I'm in a position where I can just pay for it, I don't have to get a loan or anything.
      My 11 year-old+ contractor grade microwave that I fixed myself a year ago broke again around a month ago. Last year it was capacitor, IIRC a 15-20 part. This time I'm almost positive it was the magnetron. I wasn't going to take the damn thing out and replace that -- a much more difficult repair than what I did last year.

We're not sure if we're staying in this house more than another two year, so I basically bought the new version of our 11 year old microwave. The color of the digital display looked like it would match our oven. They delivered and installed it and we apparently got an even newer version of the microwave but the display didn't match the display on our oven. It drove my wife nuts, and me a little so we bought a new matching oven. We sold our old 11 year old oven on Facebook for $200 about 10 minutes after my wife posted the ad. lol.
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

The appliance repair person looked at the microwave. They'll have to replace the two most expensive parts. It will cost almost as much as buying a new one. And it will take a week to get the parts in.
        The microwave is dead again. I just looked at the warranty and everything is covered for 90 days with some other stuff covered for longer. I haven't quite counted it out, but it's looking like it has been 91 or 92 days since it was fixed. I'll find out tomorrow how firm they are on exactly 90 days.

Ever tried heating up a slice of pizza without a microwave available? It's helping me get creative. I just hope it isn't dead for a full week again.

Comment

The microwave is dead again. I just looked at the warranty and everything is covered for 90 days with some other stuff covered for longer. I haven't quite counted it out, but it's looking like it has been 91 or 92 days since it was fixed. I'll find out tomorrow how firm they are on exactly 90 days.

Ever tried heating up a slice of pizza without a microwave available? It's helping me get creative. I just hope it isn't dead for a full week again.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Heating up pizza in a pan is way better anyway. I usually do that instead of nuking it unless I'm in a hurry.
            "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
            "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
            This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
            "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
            "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

I would rather turn up the oven to 500 and throw it on a cookie sheet than use a microwave. Hell I would rather eat the pizza cold than make it microwave rubbery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Microwaves are fairly simple devices. In short, they are a magnetron, a big *ss transformer, and a some kind of timer switch. The two most expensive parts, I guessing that were replaced in yours, are the magnetron and the big *ss transformer. I am guessing the magnetron sells for about $50 or so. The transformer could be $30-50.

This guy takes a cavity magnetron apart and explains how it works... Cool stuff:

I could watch this stuff all day.

But if these parts are burned out again and they won't fix it. I would get a new microwave. If some of the components still work you can maybe build this microwave gun that you can shoot down drones with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIOpGtsfU80 Fun!
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                  I would rather turn up the oven to 500 and throw it on a cookie sheet than use a microwave. Hell I would rather eat the pizza cold than make it microwave rubbery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Cold pizza ftw.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Cold pizza ftw.
                    The pizza was from Little Caesar's. It needs all the help it can get to make it edible. My wife bought it for the grandkids...

Comment

cold pizza is gross.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

I always heat up pizza on the stovetop. Takes longer than the M-Wave, but it also isn't soggy and flimsy like microwaved pizza is. Just use a frying pan, put it on med, cover, and let it heat up.

Comment

The pizza was from Little Caesar's. It needs all the help it can get to make it edible. My wife bought it for the grandkids...
                          There is no point in trying to make LC edible.
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

esad
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                              esad
                              Yeah, Little Caesar's is kind of like that.
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Yeah, Little Caesar's is kind of like that.
                                Little Caesar's sucks. Even their Extra-Most-Bestest sucks. The only pizza that may be worse than Little Sleazers is 5 Buck, but thinking about the worst pizza on the planet tends to offend the pizza gods and brings sorrow to humanity, so I tried to avoid doing so.

Comment

Working...
                                X