Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

for rentals, I'd look into a seasonal rental for the kids. A lot of places will have them for a couple hundred for the whole season, sometimes that will include tune ups too. I'd shop around for that and even drive a bit to get the best deal.

If you're just renting for the day then find something close to your house or close to the resort. The hassle of extra driving around before and after isn't worth the minimal savings.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    DDD when did you pick up skiing? I'm assuming you didn't do too much growing up in Cali (or is it Calli?). I use to ski 3-4 times a week. I miss those days.
    In Socal, you have your day trips to local places like Big Bear or Wolf Mountain. Despite the names, there are no overt homoerotic activities taking place. These two resorts are decent enough, esp in the middle of winter. Early and late season the snow isnt great. Mammoth trips were less common and the skiing there is great (nothing compares to Utah snow, however).

Once I started at BYU, it became a regular thing. My roommates loved to ski and were really good, so they pushed/dragged the rest of us along for the ride, forcing us to improve each season. It was great.

My freshman year, winter semester, I enroll in a ski class as an elective. My mom was highly suspicious.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

My little brother gets killer deals on season passes being under a certain age and an honor student. Last year Park City, this year the Canyons, and I don't think either was over $200 for the season. The Puffy Check should check that out as they get a little older, as it seems you destined to become a Utah lifer.

When I was my bro's age I skied a ton -- absolutely lived to ski -- just like he does now. Second half of high school I stopped going as much as I was pretty much playing baseball year round, and then by the time I hit college I never went as the coaches asked us not to. Enter mission, post-mission poverty as a student, and basically I haven't skied much in the last ten years. Last Christmas my little brother drags me out to the mountains and I rediscovered just how much I love to ski.

Since all my gear is seriously old (my little bro says he doesn't even recognize the style of my skis), and I have now finally graduated and have a job, I decided this was the year I was going to start skiing again. So I look up lift tickets at Crystal Mountain, and they're like $70 per day. WTF?! $70 a day to ski Washington snow?! Sheeeeeeiiiiiiitttttt! Now, despite how much I love skiing and really want to start doing it again, I'm starting to wonder if it's really worth getting back into.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Student View Post
    My job and young children make it difficult to do too much skiing, but for sure I will making trips to Park City and Whistler this winter.
    The Mrs. and I are going to try and hit Whistler this year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    you riding the bike? do they even allow bikes at Utah resorts?

I have had a personal breakthrough. There is nothing I can do about this weather. I cannot stop the snow. Therefore, let it snow as much as possible and I will use that to my advantage.

I look forward to several visits up the canyon. In fact, I can feel a sick day coming on right now...
    Make sure you send a fun note to your assistant when you're sick.

if you can't find any other options, you can buy a three pack of lift passes at costco for a discount price.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

Brighton is my least fave of the 4 Cottonwood resorts, but it also has the most snowboard vibe to it, which I do not enjoy very much. Alta is heaven for me. I also love PCMR.
    We members of the 'Fraternal Order of Fathers of Multiples' need to stick up for each other.

My twinners turn 5 in January and I wanted to get them skiing/riding this year. Now they don't want to go to Gramma's house for Christmas, so I don't know if we will get out, but Brighton would be high on my list.

FWIW my most unbelievably epic powder days were had at Alta (first in my heart, the place where I met my wife), Snowbird, PCMR, Parkwest/Wolf Mountain/Canyons. However at most of those resorts, especially Snowbird, you need to be lucky to get first tracks and everything gets completely skiied out within a few hours.

However Brighton is a powder treasure trove, ESPECIALLY on a stormy day. Most people won't go there if it is cold and/or snowy because it is a 'beginners hill'. What those people don't recognize is the treeline just to the west of the Great Western lift (- ahem - especially if you cut the rope...) is outstanding. . Sometimes I would have the fresh pow-pow all to myself, even 3-4 days after a big dump! People just don't know about that area. I remember numerous glades, some chutes, etc, and uncomplicated (read 'not gonna get you killed') tree skiing.

Also, I am going to commit skier heresy. I spent 4 years as a ski and snowboard instructor, and have been skiing for 33 years. I am a far better skier than snowboarder. However I am teaching my kids to ride first. It is easier to learn and little kids progress faster on snowboards than on skis. When we were skiing the New England blue ice, and now the PNW slushy cement, the snowboards are far easier for little kiddoes to control and cut through/float above the crubble better than skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    Solitude is awesome. When I was a teenager (mid to late eighties) it was THE place. Season passes were a few hundred bucks and most the best bump skiers in the area went there. You could start at the top of Inspiration and then go all the way to the bottom on some of the best carved bumps you've ever seen. Solitude also had amazing tree and glade skiing. Honecomb Canyon (when it was open) was more like a back country run with lift access.
    I skied Solitude a lot when I was a kid and absolutely loved Honeycomb Canyon. It was a bitch to get out of there, however.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    The Mrs. and I are going to try and hit Whistler this year as well.
    My FIL and BIL did this last year. I think they had one day of good snow and a lot of rain.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    My FIL and BIL did this last year. I think they had one day of good snow and a lot of rain.
    Awesome. Sounds like Sundance.

I skied Solitude a lot when I was a kid and absolutely loved Honeycomb Canyon. It was a bitch to get out of there, however.
    The last time I was skiing was in Honeycomb the day after a storm dropped two feet of pow. Unreal.

That was more than 5 years ago. I've been a couple of time since then but not what I'd call real skiing. I did go once two years ago.

I don't think i can do bumps anymore. Too timid and too worried about my knees. I was never great at them anyway. But I'm taking one day this Xmas break to hit Alta. I am still technically very sound and I would live in powder if I could. Give me a nice open bowl early in the morning and I'll never be happier.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Awesome. Sounds like Sundance.
    Last year was just brutal for that area. IIRC they were trucking snow in for the Olympics, no?

This thread has me jonesing to go snowboarding. I have been once in the last 3 years. My gear has been sitting in a storage unit. I have been tempted to unload it all on Craigslist or something, but 3 seasons out of style and living in Virginia doesn't make me think I'd get much for any of it.
    -Turtle

nostalgia doesn't even begin to cover the feelings I have for Solitude. I make it a point to go every time we're in "Zion" during the winter. I'm trying to convince my wife to do the ski to the yurt for dinner thing. She doesn't seem to see the value in it.
    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Last year was just brutal for that area. IIRC they were trucking snow in for the Olympics, no?

This thread has me jonesing to go snowboarding. I have been once in the last 3 years. My gear has been sitting in a storage unit. I have been tempted to unload it all on Craigslist or something, but 3 seasons out of style and living in Virginia doesn't make me think I'd get much for any of it.
    depending on its year and condition, a used board with bindings will probably get you $150 here on ksl. definitely not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by camleish View Post
    depending on its year and condition, a used board with bindings will probably get you $150 here on ksl. definitely not worth it.
    I know. Which is why I'll probably just hang onto them, especially given my gear is all pretty nice. But I am not sure I need two sticks and 3 pairs of bindings here.
    -Turtle

Two years ago I finally sold my old front entry Lange boots (they were so sweet when I got them) that I had been lugging around for eight years hoping I'd live in a place where I could use them. It was an emotional moment.

I still have an old pair of Atomic skis in storage with my parents, but they're pre-parabolic and not worth a dime. I may salvage the bindings on them and buy a new pair, but not this year, as I don't have the time (two hours to the closest resort) or the money ($55) for two lifts with man made ice.
    Alessandro Manzoni

pelagius

Quote Originally Posted by pellegrino View Post
    Two years ago I finally sold my old front entry Lange boots (they were so sweet when I got them) that I had been lugging around for eight years hoping I'd live in a place where I could use them. It was an emotional moment.

I still have an old pair of Atomic skis in storage with my parents, but they're pre-parabolic and not worth a dime. I may salvage the bindings on them and buy a new pair, but not this year, as I don't have the time (two hours to the closest resort) or the money ($55) for two lifts with man made ice.
    Don't you go knocking the straight skis! I still use them from time to time to show these young whippersnappers how it's done.

Same issues here. Too far and too much for crappy snow. I think though I'll pull them out of storage in case we get dumped on again this year. I'd love to build a little kicker and board down some of the hills around here.
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
    Don't you go knocking the straight skis! I still use them from time to time to show these young whippersnappers how it's done.
    I've never owned a pair of parabolics. To give you an idea of how old school I am, these Atomic skis are 204s. Not the greatest for bumps, but on icy days it was a blast to fly down the mountain with them. I'd try (and some times succeed) in lapping my friends on the old triple chair lift at Sundance.
    Alessandro Manzoni

pelagius

I've never owned a pair of parabolics. To give you an idea of how old school I am, these Atomic skis are 204s. Not the greatest for bumps, but on icy days it was a blast to fly down the mountain with them. I'd try (and some times succeed) in lapping my friends on the old triple chair lift at Sundance.
    I skied on Olin 205s. Yes, those were the babies I learned to do bumps on. There are many skiers who are more aggressive and better in terms of getting down the mountain, but few have my crisp technique in doing so. I still, to this day, ski with my skis so close my boots touch. Old fashioned, but graceful, especially for a guy like me who has left the bumps behind.

My dad, who is literally the best skier I have ever seen in person, still feels most at home on straight old school skis. He was notorious for skiing backwards - paralleling down steep hills, mind you - on old straight skis. It's kind of fun to ski with him because he shows up in a ratty coat with jeans on and these ancient skis, looking like some old ski hobo. And then he proceeds to beat the pants off of everybody on the mountain.

Mine were 187s...after Rossignol went to that odd sizing.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

It's kind of fun to ski with him because he shows up in a ratty coat with jeans on and these ancient skis, looking like some old ski hobo. And then he proceeds to beat the pants off of everybody on the mountain.
    Back in the day we would go to a remote canyon in Emery County to play around in the snow. We would build a jump and there was a makeshift halfpipe that some of the instructors at Wasatch Academy had built for their students. One day we show up and their are a couple of farmboys from Huntington in their insulated Carharts and discount boards from Pedersens. We started watching them and they had some serious skillz, one of the guys was pulling off a reverse rodeo with no problem at all. It was almost like a movie scene.

I skied on Olin 205s. Yes, those were the babies I learned to do bumps on. There are many skiers who are more aggressive and better in terms of getting down the mountain, but few have my crisp technique in doing so. I still, to this day, ski with my skis so close my boots touch. Old fashioned, but graceful, especially for a guy like me who has left the bumps behind.

My dad, who is literally the best skier I have ever seen in person, still feels most at home on straight old school skis. He was notorious for skiing backwards - paralleling down steep hills, mind you - on old straight skis. It's kind of fun to ski with him because he shows up in a ratty coat with jeans on and these ancient skis, looking like some old ski hobo. And then he proceeds to beat the pants off of everybody on the mountain.
    In high school, you were considered less than a man if you skied on anything shorter than 195. If you were really good with the bumps 190s would be passable, and the likely explanation for doing well with the bumps A common complaint was "Hell, I could ski like that too with toothpicks on my feet!" We were so lame.
    Alessandro Manzoni

pelagius

In high school, you were considered less than a man if you skied on anything shorter than 195. If you were really good with the bumps 190s would be passable, and the likely explanation for doing well with the bumps A common complaint was "Hell, I could ski like that too with toothpicks on my feet!" We were so lame.
    This is so true! My main skis were Kastle RX National Team SL 205 cm. The same ski Priman Zurbriggen (sp?) used to win the gold medal in the Olympics. They were absolutely fantastic skis. I also had a pair of PRE GS skis that were a touch shorter.

I used to laugh at the guys who would rip the bumps in 160's. They got no respect.

if none of you have done the twin tip thing, i highly recommend it. i have some 185 volkl karmas that are the bomb.

The last several years I've been running mid-fat Rossignol Bandit XX. They have been awesome for everything except bumps (which I have given up).

This year I have to find new boots. I decided I'm going the fitted route which should add up to a lot more $$$$ than I really want to pay.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Thank you snow! Finally, after a sluggish start with snow, then rain, then more rain, it finally looks like snow is here to stay.

Friday should be my first day of the year, I might even break out the skis instead of just the bike. Also here is a cool article from last year about ski biking, set to sweep the nation!
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

I do my skiing a little bit different than y'all... My skis are attached to a M7.

[YOUTUBE]fE_G0tgIKww[/YOUTUBE]

Remember, when it doubt gas it out.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    I do my skiing a little bit different than y'all... My skis are attached to a M7.

[YOUTUBE]fE_G0tgIKww[/YOUTUBE]

Remember, when it doubt gas it out.
    i've watched this at least 20 times over the last couple of years. so good.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Are there any resorts in Utah that allow your ski bike? Those things have to be pretty dangerous without a tether, no? Also I watched a few Youtube videos and it seems weird that both pegs are next to each other rather than on in front of another like if you were standing on your pedals. I'd think that would be a much more natural position for a rider and would let one to better control the bike.
    -Turtle