No announcement yet.

Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went to Sunrise last year- a resort near the border of AZ and NM. It was surprisingly good for AZ ridin' b/c I caught it the day after a major blizzard for these parts.. however, my board was dull as a loaf of bread even after a tuneup and I realized I was going to need a new shredder. I stuck w the K2 darkstar since I've never ridden anything better, and I love the graphics on this one:

"I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
      I am not a regular at Sun Valley but I love it there.
      Sun Valley is my favorite. The slope of the mountain is perfect and it continues all the way from the top to the bottom. From the top of Baldy to the bottom of Warm Springs is 3400 vertical feet of pure heaven. No plateaus, no cat track skiing to get from run to run, just miles and miles of runs where you can carve out GS turns all day long.

Comment

• You guys are making me want to try this ski thint.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
        *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
          You guys are making me want to try this ski thint.

And we haven't even mentioned the pervasive ski bunnies yet.
          "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
          "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
          This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
          "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
          "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
            Sun Valley is my favorite. The slope of the mountain is perfect and it continues all the way from the top to the bottom. From the top of Baldy to the bottom of Warm Springs is 3400 vertical feet of pure heaven. No plateaus, no cat track skiing to get from run to run, just miles and miles of runs where you can carve out GS turns all day long.
            That is true. Sun Valley is great but due to it not having a 2.5 million metropolitan community within an hour drive it has to be significantly more expensive to stay in business. Then again it has been in and out of bankruptcy like 71 is in and out of being a true fan. Brother Holding didn't seem to mind dumping millions into his personal playground.
            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
              You guys are making me want to try this ski thint.

Living in a cold winter environment it makes me more excited for winter than I get for summer. We took it up when our oldest was 6 and our twins 4. I cannot believe how much I enjoy skiing. It is the greatest family activity there is. If you live along the Wasatch Front and don't take advantage of the skiing, I think you are missing out on something spectacular.
              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
              -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Ok thinking of making the switch to a fatter ski underfoot. These days I spend the majority of time on groomers with the Puffy Check or my wife. I may get 3-4 solo days max to myself so get off-piste, which is why going fat interests me a bit....nice for powderhound days. The problem is that I think I need a more all-mountain ski to compensate for the majority of the time when I am on groomers. For those with fat skis, what are you riding? How wide at the waist? I see some guys on 130 underfoot and they look like water skis to me. I dont think I need that much ski. Im currently narrowing my focus to 3 or 4 different models, all between 98-108 waist. If you do ride a fat ski, how do they do on groomers? My main concerns are chatter/tip flap when trying to carve and turning radius. I like to make smaller tighter turns but dont want to feel like I have to do a ton of work to get into my turn. The boards Im looking at:

Soul 7 (Rossi). 108 underfoot.

Sir Francis Bacon (Line). 108 underfoot

Mantra (Volkl). 98 underfoot (looking at last year's model)

Experience 98 (Rossi). 98 underfoot

Of the 4 Im considering, the Experience probably makes the most sense from a groomer perspective. The Volkls are awesome but usually are a hard charger and require a lot more work to drive. Really really interested in the Soul 7 and the Bacons, both of which have received almost universal positive reviews.

Any suggestions?
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• I like the line skis. Is there a place you are shopping locally for them? (I'm currently in the UV for the next few days.)
                  You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                  Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                  You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                    I like the line skis. Is there a place you are shopping locally for them? (I'm currently in the UV for the next few days.)
                    They have them all over, including online. Sports Den, Level Nine are two places near downtown SLC that have them but I believe you can find them elsewhere.

What do you like about them? Have you tried Bacons before? they are generally a really popular freestyle ski and notable not only for mechanics but for cool graphics. These Bacons seem to fit both bills, yet again.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      They have them all over, including online. Sports Den, Level Nine are two places near downtown SLC that have them but I believe you can find them elsewhere.

What do you like about them? Have you tried Bacons before? they are generally a really popular freestyle ski and notable not only for mechanics but for cool graphics. These Bacons seem to fit both bills, yet again.
                      Based on the graphics the Bacons win easily for me.

Sadly, I cannot provide any recommendations on which waist is most appropriate for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                        Based on the graphics the Bacons win easily for me.

Sadly, I cannot provide any recommendations on which waist is most appropriate for you.
                        Bacons win on graphics, easily.

Unfortunately, Im less concerned with the graphics

sigpic

Comment

Bacons win on graphics, easily.

Unfortunately, Im less concerned with the graphics
                          I qualified my statement!!!

Comment

What do you like about them? Have you tried Bacons before?
                            Rented some up at Whistler last April... liked them a lot.

I don't own atm, but am looking. Our annual inaugural ski trip is 2nd week of Feb (traditionally here in Utah @ Brighton or Alta)... so, was thinking of getting outfitted and then leave 'em here at the folks place.
                            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                              Rented some up at Whistler last April... liked them a lot.

I don't own atm, but am looking. Our annual inaugural ski trip is 2nd week of Feb (traditionally here in Utah @ Brighton or Alta)... so, was thinking of getting outfitted and then leave 'em here at the folks place.
                              how did they ride on groomers? at this point that is my only concern because from a practical perspective, that is where I am spending a lot of my time these days. As a pow ski, it is going to be great, I know. But the last thing I want is tip flap while Im riding a pair of gunboats down to the ski lift.

Last year's Bacons had a little more rocker I believe so this year's version is going to be a bit more mellow with a little more camber to pop you in and out of jumps and turns.

Down in U-Co, not sure where you go to buy skis. REI may be the closest but that is in Sandy.

If you arent going to be riding until February, you may want to wait and hope for mid-season markdowns. Right now they are at their peak price. Im going to pull the trigger now but my season starts in about 5-6 weeks so i have no choice. You can find Bacons online right now for around $650 a pair, which is about right for a freestyle all-mountain.

sigpic

Comment

how did they ride on groomers? at this point that is my only concern because from a practical perspective, that is where I am spending a lot of my time these days. As a pow ski, it is going to be great, I know. But the last thing I want is tip flap while Im riding a pair of gunboats down to the ski lift.

Last year's Bacons had a little more rocker I believe so this year's version is going to be a bit more mellow with a little more camber to pop you in and out of jumps and turns.

Down in U-Co, not sure where you go to buy skis. REI may be the closest but that is in Sandy.

If you arent going to be riding until February, you may want to wait and hope for mid-season markdowns. Right now they are at their peak price. Im going to pull the trigger now but my season starts in about 5-6 weeks so i have no choice. You can find Bacons online right now for around $650 a pair, which is about right for a freestyle all-mountain.
                                Not sure what they sell but park sportsman is going out if business and has every thing marked down.

*Banned*

Comment

Working...
                                X