No announcement yet.

Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I echo everyone else. Boots are key, especially for adults. For some reason kids seem to do ok in just about any boot that is the correct size. The reason I've skied the same boots for so long is because they were purchased from a boot fitter who did custom insoles and then shaved the shell to fit my wide feet. I'm getting refit this year and I'll be heading to one of the local boot fitters to purchase. I am toying with the idea of going to Daleboot and letting them fit me.

As for everything else I used to get a pro form which is intended to give ski patrol and instructors deals on equipment. If you have an instructor or ski patrol friend who isn't buying gear this year you might be able to talk them out of their pro form. It's been so long since I bought skis I have no idea if the pro form system has changed. I'm going to use my current pair, Rossi Bandit XX until they break or wear out.

If you can't find a pro form keep your eye on the classifieds. Sometimes when a shop goes out of business someone will purchase the inventory and sell out of a truck or a storage unit. Manufacturer reps also have been known to put some of their stock up for sale as well.

Comment

• Warren Miller premiere kicks off tonight at Abravanel Hall:

http://www.skinet.com/warrenmiller/events/ut
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        Im surprised you feel that way re: beginners. I have found it to be pretty sparse when it comes to green runs. i took my sister there last season and she was disappointed in the lack of beginner stuff. Not sure what the run is called but it is at the top of the gondola and right off the trail there is a practice run with gates. She would take around 40 minutes to get down one green run and i kept skiing through the gates over and over. Kind of fun, i guess.
        Most of the time, my classes would be 4-6 years old. If they were really new to skiing, we would stick to the High Meadows lift all day (that's the closest one to the top of the Gondola). For kids that had a few days of experience, we would hit Saddleback or Tombstone. My memory is that there is a ton of blue square rated runs as you go to the far skier's right (Dreamscape and Day Break--but I rarely took students over there because it took too long for the class schedules). I guess my definition of "beginner" is more broad than just green runs b/c my view is colored by teaching kids. Most 7 year-olds can ski blue runs after just a few days of learning (but kids pick up the basic skills so much faster than adults).
        "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
        "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
        This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
        "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
        "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          What DDD said about the Canyons. It is one of my favorite places to board. It is expensive though. I usually only went when I got a discount or free pass (Warren Miller movies) since I always bought a season pass to Brighton. But with that price you get a ton of terrain to ride. That place is huge and there are some long runs. The last time I was there we worked from north to south. I was feeling it by the time we got to Tombstone. After 3 or 4 trips up that lift my quads were toast. The Canyons definitely has that resort feel to it. It's a destination ski hill for sure and has been trending that way for awhile. It makes me wonder what that lease agreement with Vail will do to it.
          We usually go up Little Cottonwood. This year our passes to snowbird include a few passes to deer valley and park city so we'll go up there this year as well.

Canyons is owned now by talisker who is having vail run the operation. Talisker also bought the land that park city used to lease from united mines. There is an ongoing case as to whether talisker can evict park city due to failure to renew the lease. As of now park city is still selling seasons passes
          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
            Most of the time, my classes would be 4-6 years old. If they were really new to skiing, we would stick to the High Meadows lift all day (that's the closest one to the top of the Gondola). For kids that had a few days of experience, we would hit Saddleback or Tombstone. My memory is that there is a ton of blue square rated runs as you go to the far skier's right (Dreamscape and Day Break--but I rarely took students over there because it took too long for the class schedules). I guess my definition of "beginner" is more broad than just green runs b/c my view is colored by teaching kids. Most 7 year-olds can ski blue runs after just a few days of learning (but kids pick up the basic skills so much faster than adults).
            I dont want to argue about this!
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• As far as gear goes, I'll echo what others have said: put your money in boots. I've had a pair of Atomic with custom liners /foot bed for 6 years. They still feel great.

I wait until the end of the year and by skis, when shops are trying to get rid of that year's model. I picked up these in 196 for over 50% off.
              "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Im surprised you feel that way re: beginners. I have found it to be pretty sparse when it comes to green runs. i took my sister there last season and she was disappointed in the lack of beginner stuff. Not sure what the run is called but it is at the top of the gondola and right off the trail there is a practice run with gates. She would take around 40 minutes to get down one green run and i kept skiing through the gates over and over. Kind of fun, i guess.
                In looking at the trail map that was my thought. My 5 year old is on his second year but I was a bit concerned at the lack of green runs for him. I am hopefull the High Meadows area will suffice him for this year. I would think next year he will be ready for some of the blue runs.
                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• a nice all mountain twin tip is definitely the way to go
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

First, skiing 15 times a season is a pretty avid workload. That is a great season, imo.

I love the Canyons. It is more expensive, but if you take advantage of current deals that will be expiring soon, you can buy 5 or 10 packs that average around $55-60 a day at Canyons, Deer Valley (must be a local), brighton, and elsewhere. the canyons isnt a great mountain for beginners so if you ski often with young children or groomers, it may not be my top choice. But for blue and up, it is a great day on the sticks.

if you can find the equipment you like at season-ending clearance sales, you can really score some sweet deals, especially on skis and bindings. However, as a general rule, you can just buy online from all the various websites that sell ski gear. Shop from the comfort of your chair. This requires you to know what you want, however. i outfitted the puffy check last season with skis and boots and bought a new setup for MMM this year, completely online. Saved hundreds of dollars in the process, as well, and they have good gear.

Of all the equipment you will purchase as a recreational skier, I would rank boots as the most important gear, by far. make sure your boots kick butt, fit right, and have the right flex for your style of skiing. Im really pumped about my intuition liners and cant wait to try them out. Skis are important, but with todays technology, you can find lots of skis that will take you from groomers to crud to bumps to pow without missing a beat. poles are mostly pointless for a recreational skier, frankly, and can often encourage poor form and bad habits in beginners.

Are you a regular at Sun Valley? that is a great place.
                    I am really interested in these custom fit liners as there is no way in hell a Simi Valley Pioneer is going to not keep up with a fellow multiple birther parent from the Cornholio Valley! Is the best way to do this to go into a shop one day I am down y'alls way? Skis and poles are probably not nearly as important.

I am not a regular at Sun Valley but I love it there. We go for a few days each year with my brother and his clan. I love it up there but comparing prices it is enormously cheaper down in Utah - even at the Canyons. Our company just put in an offer on a condo unit down there, I originally wanted Sun Valley but the cheaper skiing won me over and I think I was going to get outvoted anyway, so I have been pricing it out and trying to convince my wife that we should just get season passes for all. I think if we just go down there for the two days after Thanksgiving, 3 days during Christmas Break, one weekend each in Jan and Feb and then for 3 days in March during the kids' Spring Break I would save more than $1000 with just getting the season pass. $700ish seems to me a great deal for a season pass and about 1/2 of what Sun Valley charges. However, I won't know by Sunday if we are actually going to have the condo so I am likely to just shell out for lift tickets for each trip down.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I dont want to argue about this!
                      Okay, I'll change the subject. Tell me more about the liners. Are you getting/do you already have custom footbeds?
                      "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                      "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                      This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                      "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                      "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                        In looking at the trail map that was my thought. My 5 year old is on his second year but I was a bit concerned at the lack of green runs for him. I am hopefull the High Meadows area will suffice him for this year. I would think next year he will be ready for some of the blue runs.
                        for a 5 year old he will be fine on High meadows. that is the run with the gates off to the side. also, one really fun thing about the canyons is parking in the lower lot by 7-11 and riding the cab up to the main lodge area. from there, ride the gondola up to high meadows. he will love all the different modes of travel.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
                          We usually go up Little Cottonwood. This year our passes to snowbird include a few passes to deer valley and park city so we'll go up there this year as well.

Canyons is owned now by talisker who is having vail run the operation. Talisker also bought the land that park city used to lease from united mines. There is an ongoing case as to whether talisker can evict park city due to failure to renew the lease. As of now park city is still selling seasons passes
                          The real estate agent we are using was very much convinced that PCMR would be owned and operated by Vail/Talisker within another year and that the EPIC pass will cover both for next year. But he is a real estate agent who is likely to be trusted even less than a kicker.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                            Okay, I'll change the subject. Tell me more about the liners. Are you getting/do you already have custom footbeds?
                            I decided against the custom footbeds because my liner is a thick density so I didnt think I was going to have room for them. went with Intuition Alpine but havent had them fitted yet. I am still debating sending back the Alpines and going for the Powerwraps. Stiffer liner and less thick in the sole in the event I want to go custom footbed. any suggestions?

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
                              As far as gear goes, I'll echo what others have said: put your money in boots. I've had a pair of Atomic with custom liners /foot bed for 6 years. They still feel great.

I wait until the end of the year and by skis, when shops are trying to get rid of that year's model. I picked up these in 196 for over 50% off.
                              Volkl is a nice ski. 196, thats not messin'.

sigpic

Comment

I decided against the custom footbeds because my liner is a thick density so I didnt think I was going to have room for them. went with Intuition Alpine but havent had them fitted yet. I am still debating sending back the Alpines and going for the Powerwraps. Stiffer liner and less thick in the sole in the event I want to go custom footbed. any suggestions?
                                I love my footbeds

Comment

Working...
                                X