Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

Anybody ever been to a Park City Mountain Resort opening day or familiar with what they historically, both lifts and runs, have open on opening day? I am familiar with how Canyons goes with opening day but this year Mrs. Goatnapper wants to hang out at home the day after Thanksgiving so we worked opening day for skiing in with watching BYU volleyball and hoops this Thursday and Friday. Since the mega-epic-merger I am now an offical PCMR kinda guy so I was wondering if folks know what lifts and runs have historically been what PCMR opens on Opening Day. Other than it being totally EPIC, I wonder what this fine body might know or suspect.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

i've never been there early season. Brighton usually has ski free or steeply discounted stuff early on and it is closer. I am excited to check it out, though. That is a lot of terrain.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    i've never been there early season. Brighton usually has ski free or steeply discounted stuff early on and it is closer. I am excited to check it out, though. That is a lot of terrain.
    I am pretty excited for it when things get grooving. I have another couple of trips planned down there for Christmas Break time with my brother and then again in February with my Plebe year roomie from West Point. We are finally getting really comfortable and knowing our way around Canyons. We like Iron Mountain - when there is enough snow it was isolated enough that it rarely had much traffic. I am assuming that will change now with folks having to take the Iron Mountain Express up to get to the new Gondola over to PC. Our favorite place down there is Alta, it is a religious experience and you don't have to share it with snowboarders, but given that our condo is at the Canyons we just get the EPIC local pass and stay there. It is a pretty good deal as long as you are OK with not skiing days after Thanksgiving, week after Christmas and then the two 3 day weekends in January.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    Anybody ever been to a Park City Mountain Resort opening day or familiar with what they historically, both lifts and runs, have open on opening day? I am familiar with how Canyons goes with opening day but this year Mrs. Goatnapper wants to hang out at home the day after Thanksgiving so we worked opening day for skiing in with watching BYU volleyball and hoops this Thursday and Friday. Since the mega-epic-merger I am now an offical PCMR kinda guy so I was wondering if folks know what lifts and runs have historically been what PCMR opens on Opening Day. Other than it being totally EPIC, I wonder what this fine body might know or suspect.
    used to be the stuff off payday mostly
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

PCMR for early season is usually not great. Expect to stay on the groomers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    thats why i dont go to that side of the mountain to open the season. West side Big and Little Cottonwood until there is a nice base built. Also, the PCMR side is so expensive for the quality on November and early December.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    used to be the stuff off payday mostly
    Thanks! That looks like about 4-5 different runs with two completely separate ways down mountain if they have all the runs off of Payday open. Is that usually pretty sufficient on opening day from your memory? Canyons normally has Saddleback running on Opening Day and if both runs down (Kokepelli and Snow Dancer - I think) were open it was usually not crowded at all on Opening Day. Payday runs all look like they are northern exposure so I would assume all should be open. It is gonna be EPIC!

-DOCTOR Wuap

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    I am fine with that on opening day. I just want enough groomers open that it isn't overly crowded. There will be plenty of chances to go off piste after a couple of big storms finally make their way to Utah.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Just getting my Edge pass and nailing down some dates for another Whistler trip in March.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

I just remembered to download the "Ski Utah" app to my I-phone. Brighton has a green dot on the first screen for being open. I have no plans to ski at Brighton but that still makes me happy to see. The ski season is true!

-DOCTOR Wuap

I just remembered to download the "Ski Utah" app to my I-phone. Brighton has a green dot on the first screen for being open. I have no plans to ski at Brighton but that still makes me happy to see. The ski season is true!
    Targhee opens up tomorrow. Over 40"s of snow and it's snowing today.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Targhee opens up tomorrow. Over 40"s of snow and it's snowing today.
    I thought I read they were expecting 18 inches from this storm. Targhee is great except it just gets so damn cold.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Pre-Historic Man

I thought I read they were expecting 18 inches from this storm. Targhee is great except it just gets so damn cold.
    Yeah, I'd join you two, but it's too damn cold there right now.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Yeah, I'd join you two, but it's too damn cold there right now.
    It is more frickin' frigid than your ex up there most of the time. It gets almost as much snow as the Cottonwood Canyons resorts and the snow stays for eternities because of how damn cold it gets up there. But the skiing is absolutely fabulous. I read a rumor somewhere that there are plans to turn it into a larger resort. I wonder if that isolated place can support two decent resorts with Jackson Hole on the other side of the mountain.

-DOCTOR Wuap

It is more frickin' frigid than your ex up there most of the time. It gets almost as much snow as the Cottonwood Canyons resorts and the snow stays for eternities because of how damn cold it gets up there. But the skiing is absolutely fabulous. I read a rumor somewhere that there are plans to turn it into a larger resort. I wonder if that isolated place can support two decent resorts with Jackson Hole on the other side of the mountain.
    They're going to have to open up more terrain, which probably means a lift from the top of Sac to Mary's Nipple or somewhere thereabouts. It's a great local hill and it does enjoy some good traffic, but I don't think I would go there over jackson if they raise the ticket prices any more than they have.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    They're going to have to open up more terrain, which probably means a lift from the top of Sac to Mary's Nipple or somewhere thereabouts. It's a great local hill and it does enjoy some good traffic, but I don't think I would go there over jackson if they raise the ticket prices any more than they have.
    I am with you. If they price themselves out of the local market and have to rely entirely upon tourists I think they will go TU like Sun Valley has 4-5 times in its existence. The local market is not real big so they need to stay a local hill.

-DOCTOR Wuap

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Even going to the top of Peaked Mountain doesn't give you any more vertical. I love Crazy Horse and spend most of my time there but Sun Valley gives you that same slope and 3000 ft of vertical. They have a nice little niche of being an out of the way place with great snow but it they try and go head to head against Big Sky, Jackson or Sun Valley they will lose.

Quicksilver Gondola (new gondola connecting Canyons and PCMR) opens today. As soon as the Rockland School CHRISTMAS concert is finished we are enroute. My nipples are hard for the next few days. Not a great deal of terrain open yet, but that just means that as they open new terrain it will be EPIC as the mountain has had 2+ feet of powder over the last week!

-DOCTOR Wuap

Quicksilver Gondola (new gondola connecting Canyons and PCMR) opens today. As soon as the Rockland School CHRISTMAS concert is finished we are enroute. My nipples are hard for the next few days. Not a great deal of terrain open yet, but that just means that as they open new terrain it will be EPIC as the mountain has had 2+ feet of powder over the last week!
    Went up to snowbird yesterday and today. Pretty good coverage but still a ways to go for the whole mountain to be open.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Went up to snowbird yesterday and today. Pretty good coverage but still a ways to go for the whole mountain to be open.
    Sounds like by middle of next week it could be in the 100 inch base range.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

We were up to almost 45 inches and lost over 5 inches to rain yesterday. Temps have returned to snow levels in the last couple of hours and it is calling for snow everyday through the weekend. We are set to open tomorrow.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

I got out on my skinny skis yesterday for the first time this year. One hour on them and I was toast. Out of all the things I do this provides me with the best workout by far.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Snow!
    image.jpg
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

[QUOTE=HuskyFreeNorthwest;1236785]Snow!

Finally!
    Let's keep it coming.

Any east coast skiers on here?

I am taking Tue-Wed of MLK week off and taking the family up skiing. I'd prefer not to fly. Anyone have good experience with an east coast resort?

I am not expecting an overwhelming response to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    Any east coast skiers on here?

I am taking Tue-Wed of MLK week off and taking the family up skiing. I'd prefer not to fly. Anyone have good experience with an east coast resort?

I am not expecting an overwhelming response to this.
    LOL.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    LOL.
    I went sledding once with the youth from our Philly ward at Blue Mountain in Pennsylvania. I wouldn't go skiing there.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Isn't the east coast experiencing the warmest Christmas on record this year? Good luck finding any snow.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Up at snowbird for the next 2 nights and it is coming down hard.