Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
    I'm visiting St George and was thinking about taking my kids to Brian Head. They have never been before, so it would be a full day of teaching them how to ski. Any thoughts on how young to take up? My oldest is nearly 9 and I think I would take my 7 and maybe my 5 year-old, though I don't know if I could handle three to teach.

Any tips on teaching?

via a galaxy s3 far far away
    We have started all of ours at around 3. My two youngest are now 5 and 7. Although they feel comfortable on skis they still require individual attention and help. I think trying to teach 3 kids with no previous experience would be hard. We have incorporated paid lessons into our ski instruction - lesson in the morning then ski with mom and dad in the afternoon.

As far as pointers, I recommend patience, patience, and patience. When that fails stop for hot chocolate . Edgie-wedgies have been helpful until kids can control the skis. Also, ibuprofen is helpful for the back pain you will get from bending over to help them up.

For us all the effort has been worth it. Yesterday while my wife and I had the youngest we let the 10 and 12 yr old head up the tram to hit the fresh powder in the cirque. They love it.
    Last edited by hostile; 12-29-2012, 04:32 PM.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
      We have started all of ours at around 3. My two youngest are now 5 and 7. Although they feel comfortable on skis they still require individual attention and help. I think trying to teach 3 kids with no previous experience would be hard. We have incorporated paid lessons into our ski instruction - lesson in the morning then ski with mom and dad in the afternoon.

As far as pointers, I recommend patience, patience, and patience. When that fails stop for hot chocolate . Edgie-wedgies have been helpful until kids can control the skis. Also, ibuprofen is helpful for the back pain you will get from bending over to help them up.

For us all the effort has been worth it. Yesterday while my wife and I had the youngest we let the 10 and 12 yr old head up the tram to hit the fresh powder in the cirque. They love it.
      What about two at a time? Where can I get these edgie-wedgies in St George?

I guess I can send the kids to ski school in the AM, teach my wife in the AM, then help the oldest two in the PM while my youngest stays in ski school.

I don't know how to teach so many so quickly with my short time here.

"Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

What about two at a time? Where can I get these edgie-wedgies in St George?

I guess I can send the kids to ski school in the AM, teach my wife in the AM, then help the oldest two in the PM while my youngest stays in ski school.

I don't know how to teach so many so quickly with my short time here.

You're going to teach your wife and three kids, none of whom have been on skis before, in one day? That will require a herculean effort. I would see what kind of a deal Brian Head would offer for a group lesson and have everyone do that.

If you are renting equipment you can ask if they have some at the rental place. If not, the gear shop at Brian Head likely has some for sale. They usually run about $5.
        "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
          You're going to teach your wife and three kids, none of whom have been on skis before, in one day? That will require a herculean effort. I would see what kind of a deal Brian Head would offer for a group lesson and have everyone do that.

If you are renting equipment you can ask if they have some at the rental place. If not, the gear shop at Brian Head likely has some for sale. They usually run about $5.
          Maybe I should get babysitters and teach my wife by myself then teach the kids next year or at president's day this year at some resort.

"Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

I'm visiting St George and was thinking about taking my kids to Brian Head. They have never been before, so it would be a full day of teaching them how to ski. Any thoughts on how young to take up? My oldest is nearly 9 and I think I would take my 7 and maybe my 5 year-old, though I don't know if I could handle three to teach.

Any tips on teaching?

Buy some of these. These help keep their ski tips together while they are learning.

I should add that perhaps you might want to look at just getting your kids into snowboarding. Odds are that is what they will end up doing and I think it's easier to learn.
            Last edited by RC Vikings; 12-30-2012, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• Figured this is as good a thread as any...

Where can one purchase those big tire inner tubes for snow tubing? I'd love to snag a couple but don't know where to buy. Just a local tire store?

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                Figured this is as good a thread as any...

Where can one purchase those big tire inner tubes for snow tubing? I'd love to snag a couple but don't know where to buy. Just a local tire store?
                Not all tire stores have them - I would call before driving around.

I picked some up at a Les Schwab a couple of years ago. As I recall, they were fairly expensive. Like more than I think they were worth. If I had it to do again, I would probably pick up some of those tubes that are specifically made for snow with the vinyl covering on them. Cost less or at worst the same, handles come built in, and no stems sticking out in the wrong places. On top of that, the vinyl slides better on the snow than the rubber of the tube does (which I learned is important if the snow isn't packed down yet.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                  Not all tire stores have them - I would call before driving around.

I picked some up at a Les Schwab a couple of years ago. As I recall, they were fairly expensive. Like more than I think they were worth. If I had it to do again, I would probably pick up some of those tubes that are specifically made for snow with the vinyl covering on them. Cost less or at worst the same, handles come built in, and no stems sticking out in the wrong places. On top of that, the vinyl slides better on the snow than the rubber of the tube does (which I learned is important if the snow isn't packed down yet.)
                  Hmm... for some reason I was thinking that they would be pretty cheap. Maybe I'll stick with a store bought tube. Thanks.

Comment

Hmm... for some reason I was thinking that they would be pretty cheap. Maybe I'll stick with a store bought tube. Thanks.
                    You should still give Les Schwab a call and ask them for prices. I called a couple of other tire places, and they didn't even carry them. I also tried looking for old tubes that needed a patch, but no luck.

I don't remember the exact cost, but as I was paying for them I remember thinking I would've been better off buying the tubes made for sledding. And I did not buy the large tubes.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                      Buy some of these. These help keep their ski tips together while they are learning.

I should add that perhaps you might want to look at just getting your kids into snowboarding. Odds are that is what they will end up doing and I think it's easier to learn.
                      Two of our kids used these with skiing. It helped.

These same 2 kids had different attitudes with snowboarding. The son started out with a board, but never progressed to the point of being able to turn or stop well. He got tired of falling all the time, so he switched to skiing and hasn't turned back. My daughter got very good at skiing for her age. But the last 2 times we've gone she decided to board. The last time she was finally able to go down the bunny hill without falling, and she can begin to turn. It will be interesting to see if she continues with it.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

Figured this is as good a thread as any...

LL Bean has covered inner tubes for $39:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/43557...pmd_google_pla
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

• -2 degrees and first tracks in mineral basin

Comment

• Rockland Girls qualified for the Idaho 1-A small division state tournament. Further my daughter has a gymnastics meet in Boise this Saturday. To facilitate support for the Lady Bulldogs school will be cancelled on Thursday, or it will be a half day, so I am heading to Brundage Mtn near McCall. I figure if there is no school Thursday I will head to Boise Wednesday and then get up to Brundage for afternoon skiing on Thursday and all day on Friday. If there is 1/2 day on Thursday I will head up all the way Thursday afternoon and ski on Friday. I have never been to Brundage so I am excited. Sounds like they will get some snow on Tuesday and Wednesday and my guess is Brundage gets limited action during the week given its isolation from any major city. I had this planned out for some time but I was really nervous watching Rockland beat Richfield on Saturday in the play in game. This group of Rockland Lady Bulldog hoopsters will always be special to me!
                            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                              Rockland Girls qualified for the Idaho 1-A small division state tournament. Further my daughter has a gymnastics meet in Boise this Saturday. To facilitate support for the Lady Bulldogs school will be cancelled on Thursday, or it will be a half day, so I am heading to Brundage Mtn near McCall. I figure if there is no school Thursday I will head to Boise Wednesday and then get up to Brundage for afternoon skiing on Thursday and all day on Friday. If there is 1/2 day on Thursday I will head up all the way Thursday afternoon and ski on Friday. I have never been to Brundage so I am excited. Sounds like they will get some snow on Tuesday and Wednesday and my guess is Brundage gets limited action during the week given its isolation from any major city. I had this planned out for some time but I was really nervous watching Rockland beat Richfield on Saturday in the play in game. This group of Rockland Lady Bulldog hoopsters will always be special to me!
                              Brundage is a fun hill. The snow there can get heavy at times. It's cheap and rarely crowded though. There is a double diamond with some pillowy boulders when they get dumped on. It's a lot of fun but the run flattens our afterward which sucks for snowboarders. Have fun.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                                Rockland Girls qualified for the Idaho 1-A small division state tournament. Further my daughter has a gymnastics meet in Boise this Saturday. To facilitate support for the Lady Bulldogs school will be cancelled on Thursday, or it will be a half day, so I am heading to Brundage Mtn near McCall. I figure if there is no school Thursday I will head to Boise Wednesday and then get up to Brundage for afternoon skiing on Thursday and all day on Friday. If there is 1/2 day on Thursday I will head up all the way Thursday afternoon and ski on Friday. I have never been to Brundage so I am excited. Sounds like they will get some snow on Tuesday and Wednesday and my guess is Brundage gets limited action during the week given its isolation from any major city. I had this planned out for some time but I was really nervous watching Rockland beat Richfield on Saturday in the play in game. This group of Rockland Lady Bulldog hoopsters will always be special to me!
                                Your timing is perfect. Pelado and I were just making plans for the official Treasure Valley quarterly CUFfer CSer lunch, to which you may consider yourself invited. I think I speak for the group when I say that your attendance would make our collective nipples hard.
                                "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                                "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                                This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                                "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                                "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Working...
                                X