Unfortunately, current conditions:

11/07/13 01:05:00 PM

Current Temp:44
    Temp High:44
    Temp Low:38
    Wind:0 WNW
    Peak gust:20
    Windchill:44
    We can't all live in the ski Mecca of Utah.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

After Thanksgiving I am taking the clan down to the Canyons to ski next Friday and Saturday. It appears that the Canyons only has a base of about 20 inches so I am wondering if I would be better served to head over to Solitude for at least one day. The weather report indicates limited snow between today and next Friday so I am a bit concerned that the Canyons is going to suck with uneven early season conditions. For those of you familiar with the Canyons, I have never skied there, will a 20 inch base be enough? I understand the Canyons has its own snow making capability to perhaps that 20 inches is the au natural and they will augment that with the man made stuff. I have a bit of a reputation with ballyhooing man made augmentations but I am wondering what to expect at the Canyons.

Edit: I am more than comfortable staying on the groomed trails at the Canyons. I am not a real great skier so I don't get off the groomers until I am real comfortable/familiar with a mountain and if the steepness isn't real brutal. I will have my entire clan and my wife is about a lower intermediate level skier. I am about a mid. My 9 yr old twins are definitely better than I am. My 11 year old is about where I am as she bounces between snowboarding and skiing. Our 5 yr old will likely be in school or on easy going green runs.

What is the advise of those of you more familiar with the area.
    Last edited by Goatnapper'96; 11-22-2013 at 09:27 AM.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

Edit: I am more than comfortable staying on the groomed trails at the Canyons. I am not a real great skier so I don't get off the groomers until I am real comfortable/familiar with a mountain and if the steepness isn't real brutal. I will have my entire clan and my wife is about a lower intermediate level skier. I am about a mid. My 9 yr old twins are definitely better than I am. My 11 year old is about where I am as she bounces between snowboarding and skiing. Our 5 yr old will likely be in school or on easy going green runs.

What is the advise of those of you more familiar with the area.
    They'e been blowing the fake stuff since early October on the main runs so if you're sticking to groomers you should be fine. Venture off the trail and you need to be more careful.

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

Getting excited for some Christmas skiing. Usually end up where baby bro has his season pass for the year, which this year is apparently Basin. Anxious to check it out, as I used to do weekend ski bus there as a kid (leaving from FJH bright and early in the morning!) but haven't been there for years and seen all the expansion. Checked out tickets yesterday and a day pass is $86...holy shit! When i did ski bus I think it was $24 a day (I'm starting to feel like BYU71). Fortunately baby bro gets some 50% off passes for friends so I'll be snagging those from him.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    Getting excited for some Christmas skiing. Usually end up where baby bro has his season pass for the year, which this year is apparently Basin. Anxious to check it out, as I used to do weekend ski bus there as a kid (leaving from FJH bright and early in the morning!) but haven't been there for years and seen all the expansion. Checked out tickets yesterday and a day pass is $86...holy shit! When i did ski bus I think it was $24 a day (I'm starting to feel like BYU71). Fortunately baby bro gets some 50% off passes for friends so I'll be snagging those from him.
    I love that place. I'm jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    I love that place. I'm jealous.
    Jealous? You get to ski those parts whenever you want! My excursions to Utah mountains are limited to 2-3 days a year so I'm the jealous one.

Last year we did Snowbird (which I love) and the year before Park City (which has always been "meh" for me), so I'm stoked to see Basin again. My sister's fam just moved to Mountain Green right there below Trapper's Loop so I'll have somewhere to crash near the resort.

Jealous? You get to ski those parts whenever you want! My excursions to Utah mountains are limited to 2-3 days a year so I'm the jealous one.
    I'm having shoulder surgery in two weeks so skiing is off the table for at least a couple of months or longer. That's why I'm jealous.

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

Gondolas are the truth! Tough to go back to chairlifts after spending most of the day in the Main or Strawberry gondolas. But the John Paul and Porcupine chairs have some fun areas to explore.

My brother had a season pass to S-Basin last year, and he felt they oversold. Crowds were bad, so much so that he went with a Brighton pass this year. However, with the Parley and Cottonwood resorts giving much better deals on season passes this year, hopefully it will draw some of the crowds away.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 11-22-2013 at 12:33 PM.

They'e been blowing the fake stuff since early October on the main runs so if you're sticking to groomers you should be fine. Venture off the trail and you need to be more careful.
    At lunch I saw they updated their #'s. They got a foot up there yesterday and now the base is about 10 inches deeper of fresh new powder. That along with the man made stuff should have the groomers in good shape!

My nipples are hard already!

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

At lunch I saw they updated their #'s. They got a foot up there yesterday and now the base is about 10 inches deeper of fresh new powder. That along with the man made stuff should have the groomers in good shape!

My nipples are hard already!
    We are up at snowbird this weekend. There are only 2 runs open. My biggest reason for skiing this week is to say I skied on opening weekend. Other than that the conditions are poor. An acquaintance from HS heads the snowmaking ops at snowbird. I talked to him a couple weeks ago and he said they've been blowing a few million gallons/day since October. Still need more from Mother Nature.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    We are up at snowbird this weekend. There are only 2 runs open. My biggest reason for skiing this week is to say I skied on opening weekend. Other than that the conditions are poor. An acquaintance from HS heads the snowmaking ops at snowbird. I talked to him a couple weeks ago and he said they've been blowing a few million gallons/day since October. Still need more from Mother Nature.
    i went the thursday before the Wisconsin game
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

I'm having shoulder surgery in two weeks so skiing is off the table for at least a couple of months or longer. That's why I'm jealous.
    What did you do to your shoulder? I could use a shoulder surgery. Maybe I should again be jealous.

What did you do to your shoulder? I could use a shoulder surgery. Maybe I should again be jealous.
    Years of sports as well as some injuries skiing. It sort of healed up on its own but kettle bell swings at Crossfit wrecked it again. Officially I'm having surgery to correct some AC joint issues. If there is other stuff messed up (most likely there is) it's getting fixed as well.

Just dropped off two of the kids up at Schweitzer with their season passes. We're new to North Idaho and having excellent skiing 9 miles up the hill is a nice benefit of being here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had fun at the Canyons on Friday. They only had 4 runs open and there were a lot of people for those 4 runs, but the snow was snow and it was opening day. Only lifts running were the Red Pine Gondola, Meadows and Saddleback. I can't wait to get back there when the entire mountain and all the cool lifts are operating. It looks like this storm will do a great deal of good for both the Cottonwood Canyons and Park City resorts. The kids are really excited to head to the back mountains and ski through the tunnels and over the bridges, not to mention the thrill of riding the effervescent Orange Bubble Express! Skiing is probably my favorite outdoor activity (well at least the outdoor activities that I participate in since I had kids and left those wild days of my twenties). From the day school starts I start looking forward to opening day. I am not even real good and yet to venture to the expert runs, I could only imagine how it will get once I arrive at that level.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Arghh.. going to Boise for Christmas this year. Is there anything worse with winter weather and no good places to ride? I'm also looking at you, Wisconsin. I know some wise acre is going to invoke the name of Brundage or launch a Bogus apology, but it's depressing to fly your winter gear to a non-destination-worthy spot.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Arghh.. going to Boise for Christmas this year. Is there anything worse with winter weather and no good places to ride? I'm also looking at you, Wisconsin. I know some wise acre is going to invoke the name of Brundage or launch a Bogus apology, but it's depressing to fly your winter gear to a non-destination-worthy spot.
    I like Brundage but it is as far from Boise to Brundage as it to Sun Valley. Brundage will never reach its potential because I doubt it will ever be enough and an end destination to overcome that it is too far from a major metropolitan area to get day skiers.

Sorry Bro, I got two days lined up in Sun Valley and three days at the Canyons over Christmas break! I'll be thinking of ya!

-DOCTOR Wuap

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    No, no one is going to argue that Bogus is a great place to ski/board. I'm going to try to hit Targhee when I'm in IF for Christmas, though!
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

storm coming

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    storm coming
    No work scheduled for Wednesday.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

I like Brundage but it is as far from Boise to Brundage as it to Sun Valley. Brundage will never reach its potential because I doubt it will ever be enough and an end destination to overcome that it is too far from a major metropolitan area to get day skiers.

Sorry Bro, I got two days lined up in Sun Valley and three days at the Canyons over Christmas break! I'll be thinking of ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    No, no one is going to argue that Bogus is a great place to ski/board. I'm going to try to hit Targhee when I'm in IF for Christmas, though!
    I really need to hit Sun Valley. That's officially on my to-do list. As for the 'ghee, you gotta take Teton Village every single time if the snow is right. Of course that's Targhee's calling card, but it bugs me that they charge locals destination resort prices to ride what is and should remain just a really awesome local mountain.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Level 9 having a sale on select stuff through today and tomorrow. one of the things that is crazy marked down is the DaKine Heli Pro. been wanting a new backcountry bag for a bit and these are going for $59 on sale (normally around $95). I had an extra $10 off coupon, so out the door cost me less than $50. i picked up the octane colorway.

http://www.dakine.com/p/ski/backpack...ro-20l?clr=OTN

"Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Anyone by chance head up to the cottonwood resorts the last couple of days and can give a snow report?
    "Remember to double tap"

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Working on an almost 8" base! Cancelled the NYE party, Christmas break represents about 30-35% of the season revenue. So I'm going to go ahead and hope it doesn't snow at all. Since it will come late and stay through May jacking my camp season.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by venkman View Post
    Anyone by chance head up to the cottonwood resorts the last couple of days and can give a snow report?
    I was at Alta yesterday, but with little kids do I didn't get to any serious runs. No new snow in a week, but the snow was just fine IMO. I overheard some guy talk about the runs off wildcat and he thought the snow up there was pretty bad.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I went to Alta on Thursday. I thought the snow was poor, but that is just me. I spent a couple of hours on Sunnyside and Albion with my son and he didnt mind because he was just plowing but once I headed up Supreme and Sugarloaf, it was all crud everywhere and a whole bunch of ice. There hasn't been any fresh stuff in a week. Not worth spending $80 or whatever it costs for a pass these days. Wait until it snows again or find a discounted pass.

Thanks guys. I'm taking my sons, so the lower runs would probably be doable. But I usually need to sneak in a few runs up Snake Creek or Great Western...not gonna drop $70 to slide around on ice. I'll hold off.
    "Remember to double tap"

Thanks guys. I'm taking my sons, so the lower runs would probably be doable. But I usually need to sneak in a few runs up Snake Creek or Great Western...not gonna drop $70 to slide around on ice. I'll hold off.
    That's an entirely different canyon and resort so I can't vouch for Brighton. Also, there is usually no reason to ever pay full price for a day at Brighton since there are discount passes everywhere for that place.

that being said, I'd hold off, too. I'm not going back up until it snows again, unless it is just ski after 3 with my kids.

Got in a few days while visiting Utah. Hit Basin on the 20th after that big snowstorm and the snow was great (though with a limited base much of the mountain still wasn't open).