Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Yakima is somewhat notorious for being a more complicated install, but the reason being is exactly as you state....anti theft. Makes it very tough to steal the racks themselves. I saw the powder hound but is it universal? I'm using factory crossbars and rails so I would rather not have to buy a fit kit if I don't have to.

I will check out the racks Shaka mentioned. I should do more homework, I suppose.
    The Yakima website indicates that they have updated the powderhound and that it will fit on oval, round, square, or factory crossbars. I would check to be sure.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
      I'm considering Daleboot. Great because they are local and it's easy to get fit. I haven't checked into them for a few years but it seemed like they haven't changed much regarding design in many years. Of course ski boots haven't changed all that much since I was a kid. I have one other fit criteria that I forgot to mention. I wear custom knee braces on both legs. Boot has to fit under the braces or I have to buy new braces.

I know who you're talking about in PC. He's fitted many of my friends. There is also a good boot fitter at Snowbird. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the shops.
      My current Atomic boots were fitted by Surefoot in Park City. I've had them for 5 years and they still feel great - I like my boots pretty tight. My wife also had hers done there, and she never complains about her boots. There is another place in PC called Bootworks that is a couple stores down but I don't have any experience with them.
      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
        My current Atomic boots were fitted by Surefoot in Park City. I've had them for 5 years and they still feel great - I like my boots pretty tight. My wife also had hers done there, and she never complains about her boots. There is another place in PC called Bootworks that is a couple stores down but I don't have any experience with them.
        Surefoot is the one I was referring to. I've also heard good things about Bootworks. Christy's was the place up at Snowbird.

Comment

• Anybody been recently up in SLC or Park City area? How is the snow? We have family coming in next week and I think their first Utah ski experience is going to be a dud.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Anybody been recently up in SLC or Park City area? How is the snow? We have family coming in next week and I think their first Utah ski experience is going to be a dud.
            We have been to Snowbird a couple times and are going tomorrow. The groomed runs aren't bad. Not much as far as off trail is concerned - not enough cover. It has been a good warm up with the kids but definitely not as good as the last few years. Last saturday felt like spring skiing with how warm it was and eating lunch outside on the deck.

Comment

• Couldn't you guys get it to snow for me? Park city sucked today.
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Better conditions at Powder today, but a 22 inch base (which was more than Park City, btw)? Come on, this is what you do best, Utah!

Comment

• Made it out to Brighton today. Went with very low expectations but was pleasantly surprised. The snow was much better than I had anticipated (bearing in mind that I anticipated the worst possible snow). Most of the mountain was open and there was decent coverage everywhere. I thought there would be few runs and mostly dirt right off the runs that were open. Instead, the mountain was covered, just thin at certain spots.

The weather was classic Spring conditions. in fact, by lunch, I felt like going straight t-shirt and ditching the thermal top. Very sparse crowd, most likely because everyone ass-u-mes that the snow is awful.

Great Western was a nightmare in the morning. Since it sits in the AM shade, it was very icy. Also, the lower runs were definitely lacking while the upper runs were ok. We ditched that and went over to Crest for a couple of hours. My fave Wren Hollow was fully open and the bumps were mid sized, just how I like them. We didn't even attempt Milly today. After a break for lunch, we headed back over to GW, this time in the PM sun. Much better experience. Things had softened up at the top so we kept riding the same runs over and over. The bottom half of the runs (where they merge near the Snake Creek lift) were very sticky given the sunny temps.

I feel shredded right now. We skied hard today and since there were no lines, we skied for a good 5+ hours, much of it bumps or traversing through glue to get to the next chair (one of my modest complaints about Brighton...too many flat spots near critical connections....if you don't get enough speed, you are hiking a mile to the next chair). I will sleep like a log tonight, no doubt.

I noticed a couple of new trends today (first time out this season):
                  1. LOTS of boarders have adopted the over-sized NBA jerseys over their snow gear this season. i ski ever year but have never seen it be such a phenomenon as I did today. I counted at least 15 or 20 kids rocking NBA jerseys or snowboard gear that is designed to look like an NBA jersey.
                  2. Not sure if GoPro had a major Xmas sale, but it seemed that just as many people had helmet mounted cameras today. perhaps people got them for Xmas. not sure. But instead of the usual hard core boarders making home videos, everyone had them today. They were everywhere.

This reminds me......how many of you ski with a helmet? I am used to skiing with a beanie or sherpa but I think it would be fun to ride with a camera so I can film the Puffy Check this season. This requires a helmet because I don't want to strap a GoPro to my ski pole and worry about that all day long. Was it a weird adjustment wearing a helmet? Is it warmer/colder? What helmet do you wear?

sigpic

Comment

Made it out to Brighton today. Went with very low expectations but was pleasantly surprised. The snow was much better than I had anticipated (bearing in mind that I anticipated the worst possible snow). Most of the mountain was open and there was decent coverage everywhere. I thought there would be few runs and mostly dirt right off the runs that were open. Instead, the mountain was covered, just thin at certain spots.

The weather was classic Spring conditions. in fact, by lunch, I felt like going straight t-shirt and ditching the thermal top. Very sparse crowd, most likely because everyone ass-u-mes that the snow is awful.

Great Western was a nightmare in the morning. Since it sits in the AM shade, it was very icy. Also, the lower runs were definitely lacking while the upper runs were ok. We ditched that and went over to Crest for a couple of hours. My fave Wren Hollow was fully open and the bumps were mid sized, just how I like them. We didn't even attempt Milly today. After a break for lunch, we headed back over to GW, this time in the PM sun. Much better experience. Things had softened up at the top so we kept riding the same runs over and over. The bottom half of the runs (where they merge near the Snake Creek lift) were very sticky given the sunny temps.

I feel shredded right now. We skied hard today and since there were no lines, we skied for a good 5+ hours, much of it bumps or traversing through glue to get to the next chair (one of my modest complaints about Brighton...too many flat spots near critical connections....if you don't get enough speed, you are hiking a mile to the next chair). I will sleep like a log tonight, no doubt.

1. LOTS of boarders have adopted the over-sized NBA jerseys over their snow gear this season. i ski ever year but have never seen it be such a phenomenon as I did today. I counted at least 15 or 20 kids rocking NBA jerseys or snowboard gear that is designed to look like an NBA jersey.
                    2. Not sure if GoPro had a major Xmas sale, but it seemed that just as many people had helmet mounted cameras today. perhaps people got them for Xmas. not sure. But instead of the usual hard core boarders making home videos, everyone had them today. They were everywhere.

This reminds me......how many of you ski with a helmet? I am used to skiing with a beanie or sherpa but I think it would be fun to ride with a camera so I can film the Puffy Check this season. This requires a helmet because I don't want to strap a GoPro to my ski pole and worry about that all day long. Was it a weird adjustment wearing a helmet? Is it warmer/colder? What helmet do you wear?
                    Nice report. All I've heard about the hills around Boise is that they are all but bone dry. I might only ski at Park City this season when I go down in March.

I thought wearing a helmet was somewhat less comfortable than a hat. I could just feel that extra mass up there and I never got used to it. Temperature-wise, most helmets have the adjustable vents that let you dial it in to ambient conditions. I think on a really cold day, my ears would feel a bit chilly.

My wife told me a few weeks ago that I would be required to wear a helmet when I ski starting this year (due to her uncle's horrible accident last spring that destroyed his orbital bone and gave him permanent double vision--forced him into retirement and he's not even 50). I have had my share of bad accidents and close calls but sorry, honey, I won't be wearing a helmet this season or ever.
                    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Made it out to Brighton today. Went with very low expectations but was pleasantly surprised. The snow was much better than I had anticipated (bearing in mind that I anticipated the worst possible snow). Most of the mountain was open and there was decent coverage everywhere. I thought there would be few runs and mostly dirt right off the runs that were open. Instead, the mountain was covered, just thin at certain spots.

Well crap. We cxld our Christmas ski trip this year -- 10 ski days down the drain. I don't trust the cottonwood canyons with anything less than a 60 inch base. We use helmets....have for years.

Comment

• This Is My Winter - There is some NSFW language but it is worth the 1/2 hour. promise.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/31572650"]THIS IS MY WINTER (full movie english) on Vimeo[/ame]

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
                          Nice report. All I've heard about the hills around Boise is that they are all but bone dry. I might only ski at Park City this season when I go down in March.

I thought wearing a helmet was somewhat less comfortable than a hat. I could just feel that extra mass up there and I never got used to it. Temperature-wise, most helmets have the adjustable vents that let you dial it in to ambient conditions. I think on a really cold day, my ears would feel a bit chilly.

My wife told me a few weeks ago that I would be required to wear a helmet when I ski starting this year (due to her uncle's horrible accident last spring that destroyed his orbital bone and gave him permanent double vision--forced him into retirement and he's not even 50). I have had my share of bad accidents and close calls but sorry, honey, I won't be wearing a helmet this season or ever.
                          The helmet thing seems pretty standard these days. At both places I skied a couple weeks ago, there were very few not wearing helmets. I was just wearing a beanie, but that definitely wasn't the norm.

My little brother rocks the helmet and so do all his little buddies. Definitely one of the many changes from when I was a kid, as I pretty much went with the backwards baseball hat and that was it. Now I can't even do that because my ears get too cold.

Comment

A pic at the top of GW, looking at the back side of the resort. It was a beautiful day.

Taken on Monday at the very same spot, right near the top of the lift. What a difference a year makes

sigpic

Comment

• Wow. I've never seen that little snow on the mountain when I've skied.
                              "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• :rockon2:

Comment

Working...
                                X