Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
    Yesterday, I played hooky with my two youngest and we held Primary up at Brighton. It was sunny and cold in the morning and I was worried it wasn't such a good idea to take them because they were complaining of the cold and we had to warm up in the lodge after only a couple of runs. After a couple of hours it warmed up quite a bit and we had a great time. I got my four-year old up on Snake Creek and Crest and he killed it. He didn't turn quite as much as I wanted him to, but he never once needed me to slow him down.

There have been some awesome powder days this year, but yesterday will likely be the day I remember most fondly.
    I spend the week inbetween the Idaho girls and boys State hoop tourneys, 3rd week in February and first week in March respectively, skiing in Utah with my Plebe year roomate from West Point. We spend most of the time at Canyons/PC because of the convenience of our condo there. This year we were at Canyons on Monday & Thursday-Saturday. Tuesday we went to SnowBasin and then on Wednesday he took in the glory of Alta while I worked. He commented on Monday that Canyons was the best he had ever skied- we have been doing this for 4 years now. Tuesday at SnowBasin sucked as the snow quality was awful - like a snowcone. Saying that I loved SnowBasin and plan to get there a day or two every year moving forward. I track wasatchsnowforecast and Brother Thayer was preaching the good news of last weeks storm so I kept telling my old roomie to wait until he experiences Alta on a powder day. He was converted. Thursday and Friday were absolutely phenomenal at Canyons and Saturday was still good. He booked his flights for next year as I was driving him to SLC airport Saturday afternoon. It has been a fabulous season but track starts today so I am ready for it to warm up and you all can enjoy mr slushy/snowcone/slurpee!
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• My wife just called and said she is stuck up at snowbird because the roads are closed.
      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
        My wife just called and said she is stuck up at snowbird because the roads are closed.
        No offense but she is probably stuck up at snowbird even in the summer. Those sorts of personality things don't have much to do with road conditions.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

My wife just called and said she is stuck up at snowbird because the roads are closed.
          Sweet! The cat is away; time for the mice to play.

Is the titty bar next to the regional medical center still open? Our mutual doc friend told me that it is very popular with the professional medical community.
          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
            Sweet! The cat is away; time for the mice to play.

Is the titty bar next to the regional medical center still open? Our mutual doc friend told me that it is very popular with the professional medical community.
            That is an interesting story. For years they tried to buy the owner out of his lease. They offered to move his establishment and provided other incentives to get him to move. He refused all of it stating that he and his customers liked the location. So for the first few years of the brand new hospital patients were able to drive past and look out from their rooms on the architectural and neon splendor of Southern Xposure.

One month the owner was late in mailing in his lease payment and IHC used that as evidence of breach of contract and were going to force him to move. Unfortunately one of the office staff at the leasing office cashed the check and he countered that this represented them accepting his payment and therefore the contract was still in force. It ended up in court and he eventually moved a few blocks north.

I was on call the last day of business. There was a line of several dozen cars down State street waiting get in. Fortunately I was able to use the secret tunnel and avoid the wait.
            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

That is an interesting story. For years they tried to buy the owner out of his lease. They offered to move his establishment and provided other incentives to get him to move. He refused all of it stating that he and his customers liked the location. So for the first few years of the brand new hospital patients were able to drive past and look out from their rooms on the architectural and neon splendor of Southern Xposure.

One month the owner was late in mailing in his lease payment and IHC used that as evidence of breach of contract and were going to force him to move. Unfortunately one of the office staff at the leasing office cashed the check and he countered that this represented them accepting his payment and therefore the contract was still in force. It ended up in court and he eventually moved a few blocks north.

I was on call the last day of business. There was a line of several dozen cars down State street waiting get in. Fortunately I was able to use the secret tunnel and avoid the wait.
              Wait hostile is Father of Family X, aka picklebutton?!
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

Comment

• Just got back from my annual excursion to Whistler. This year we did heli-skiing-- WOW. I made the mistake of taking a 154 cm freestyle board to the wild British Columbian back country, so I did get stuck a few times, but it was wicked-- we got our 6 runs in and I tapped out, and my brother the show-off took a 7th.

That night the resort got pounded with another couple feet of snow so it was a powder day with sore legs.

The goal for next year? Be in shape this time!
                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                  Just got back from my annual excursion to Whistler. This year we did heli-skiing-- WOW. I made the mistake of taking a 154 cm freestyle board to the wild British Columbian back country, so I did get stuck a few times, but it was wicked-- we got our 6 runs in and I tapped out, and my brother the show-off took a 7th.

That night the resort got pounded with another couple feet of snow so it was a powder day with sore legs.

The goal for next year? Be in shape this time!
                  I watched Timber Creek Lodge on Bravo a few days ago, they are in Whistler. They took their guests, heli-skiing. Looked amazing.
                  *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    I watched Timber Creek Lodge on Bravo a few days ago, they are in Whistler. They took their guests, heli-skiing. Looked amazing.
                    It was a great day. The Whistler-Blackcomb resort itself is like 5x the size of Teton Village, so that's massive, but their terrain for heli-skiing is 50x the size of the resort. If you get a good weather day you can have the best day of your life skiing a ton of varied terrain.
                    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• They're my money bindings. I love those bindings so much.
                      hi

Comment

• Originally posted by bestellen View Post
                        They're my money bindings. I love those bindings so much.
                        I'll bet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Snowbird has been able to make enough snow to open one lift/run this past Wednesday. By Thursday they were only opening from 9-1. We skied ice/slush yesterday and today. Due to warm weather they are unable to keep making snow and just announced they are suspending operations. Had fun w my youngest as he was able to work on some stuff without having to worry about keeping up.

Comment

• Yeah we did Brighton and it was very sketchy — borderline unskiable.

Rode a lift with a guy from North Carolina who was pleased with the wonderful snow. For real.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                              Yeah we did Brighton and it was very sketchy — borderline unskiable.

Rode a lift with a guy from North Carolina who was pleased with the wonderful snow. For real.
                              lol

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                                Yeah we did Brighton and it was very sketchy — borderline unskiable.

I understand where my state-brother is coming from. Since moving to NC, I have probably skied 10 times in the area, either NC or VA, usually with youth groups or teaching my kids to ski. I would bet large amounts of money that your current snow is better quality than at least 5 of those times. Actually, my guess is that it is better than 9 of them (there was one day, right after an overnight storm, that was halfway decent).

The quality of the snow and the "mountains" here are a bitter pill to someone who had a 2.8 GPA freshman year due mainly to $5 days at Solitude and Brighton.

Comment

Working...
                                X