Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    the winter sports community does not need guys with Slayer stickers loitering around on the slopes. please go "catch some extreme air" somewhere else. I am sure there are plenty of other places to "get radical" on your snowboard, "bro."
    But "shredding" is "wicked" "gnarly," "homeboy"!

Comment

I have only gotten out about 8 times this year. The snow has sucked big time up here, and with camp season rapidly approaching I am now hopeful that this weekend is our last snow of the year.

I am heading up tomorrow, probably will just bike though. Skiing seems like so much work now.
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

Comment

I love Alta's purity. Snowboards also wreck the bumps. I support snowboards never being allowed there.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
          I love Alta's purity. Snowboards also wreck the bumps. I support snowboards never being allowed there.
          Yes! Just last week I saw boarders side-sliding through mogul runs and :anger:

I really didn't mean this to be a thread about bashing snowboarding, though, as I would like to include all downhill winter sports. Except slalom boarding, as only creepy old men in single-piece snow suits ride those things.
          "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
          "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
          This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
          "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
          "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
            Yes! Just last week I saw boarders side-sliding through mogul runs and :anger:

I really didn't mean this to be a thread about bashing snowboarding, though, as I would like to include all downhill winter sports. Except slalom boarding, as only creepy old men in single-piece snow suits ride those things.
            To show you how old I am, my skiing outfit of choice is some jeans and a retor (but I have owned it since it was new) woll sweater.

What is a slalom board?

The problem I have is that my youngest only snowboards so we now go to places that take skis and snowboards. Oh well.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
              To show you how old I am, my skiing outfit of choice is some jeans and a retor (but I have owned it since it was new) woll sweater.
              Wow. You continue to outcreek yourself! Please tell me this is supposed to say retro wool sweater. lol.

Comment

What is a slalom board?
                My understanding is that it could be two different types of boards:

First, picture a typical snowboard that uses ski boots and bindings instead of snow board boots:

(Notice the orientation of the bindings are much more front-facing than a typical snowboard.)

Also, and I'm not sure that the second type I'm thinking of are actually called slalom boards (maybe just ski boards?), but it looks like two skis stuck together:

The problem I have is that my youngest only snowboards so we now go to places that take skis and snowboards. Oh well.
                I have this fear already and I am brainwashing my daughter to never want to snowboard.
                "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
                  My understanding is that it could be two different types of boards:

First, picture a typical snowboard that uses ski boots and bindings instead of snow board boots:

(Notice the orientation of the bindings are much more front-facing than a typical snowboard.)

Also, and I'm not sure that the second type I'm thinking of are actually called slalom boards (maybe just ski boards?), but it looks like two skis stuck together:

I have this fear already and I am brainwashing my daughter to never want to snowboard.
                  That thing in your pic is usually called a mono ski. I've tried them and it really isn't much fun unless you're in deep powder.

Comment

I started out on skis. Once I switched to snowboarding in the mid 90's (on a ghetto K2 Farmer and some Sorels fitted w/ ski boot linings) I never looked back.

Snowboarding is the superior sport as far as fun factor goes. Skiing is right up there with rollerblading in my book.
                    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                      That thing in your pic is usually called a mono ski. I've tried them and it really isn't much fun unless you're in deep powder.
                      Yes, that's right. I spaced on the name. The bottom images are of a monoski. They look like no fun at all. I like using my inside edges.

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                      I started out on skis. Once I switched to snowboarding in the mid 90's (on a ghetto K2 Farmer and some Sorels fitted w/ ski boot linings) I never looked back.

Snowboarding is the superior sport as far as fun factor goes. Skiing is right up there with rollerblading in my book.
                      I ... ... not sure what to say. I can understand that a lot of people prefer snowboarding to skiing--everyone has their opinion-- but rollerblading?

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        For a person that loves skiing (over snowboarding) is there anything more classic than the Germania chair at Alta?

Alta is one of my favorite recreational places I've ever been and by far my favorite place to ski in Utah.
                        The old Germania lift was great, but my favorite area in Alta will always be the East Greeley area. The chutes there are steep, deep and a lot of fun to get down, plus there's hardly anyone there, even on the busiest days. Alta was always a great place to go but it doesn't hold the nostalgia that Solitude and Sundance have for me.

I know, I know, you're wondering how I could prefer Solitude and Sundance to perhaps the greatest ski resort in the world. I will admit freely that Alta is a better, but growing up, for reasons of economy (Solitude) and proximity (Sundance) those were the resorts I went to the most. When it's open, Solitude's Honeycomb Canyon has some of the best chutes around. The powder is awesome and, once again, nobody around. I spent an entire day in Honeycomb and every run down was first tracks. The Summit lift also has some really fun runs when you go to the left of the lift into an area called the headwall. We'd spend most of our mornings on the Summit lift, hit Honeycomb just before lunch, then after lunch more of the summit and Honeycomb once or twice to finish off. There's a reason why Solitude is called Solitude, not many people around, especially on the Summit lift and honeycomb. One last thing that's awesome about Solitude is that you ski free on your birthday. I

I'll take a lot of crap for promoting Sundance, but that was my base resort. I lived fifteen minutes from there and my senior year in particular I spent more time on that mountain than I did in class. Sure, it's tiny, the snow isn't that great, and it's not very challenging. But that's kind of where I cut my teeth, so to speak. I have fond memories of mastering Bishops Bowl, hitting the stump jump, and going way way back, night skiing with our elementary school group.

I don't get out on the mountain as much as I used to. Knee injuries have taken some of the joy away and now I live far away from the greatest snow on earth that I knew and loved in my youth. The snow here is heavier, icier, and I have to drive two hours, pay $50 to wait in line 30 minutes just to ski down what most Western skiers would consider a bunny hill with bumps here and there. Sometimes you don't realize what you have or how lucky you are until it's gone.
                        Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                        God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                        Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                          The old Germania lift was great, but my favorite area in Alta will always be the East Greeley area. The chutes there are steep, deep and a lot of fun to get down, plus there's hardly anyone there, even on the busiest days. Alta was always a great place to go but it doesn't hold the nostalgia that Solitude and Sundance have for me.

I know, I know, you're wondering how I could prefer Solitude and Sundance to perhaps the greatest ski resort in the world. I will admit freely that Alta is a better, but growing up, for reasons of economy (Solitude) and proximity (Sundance) those were the resorts I went to the most. When it's open, Solitude's Honeycomb Canyon has some of the best chutes around. The powder is awesome and, once again, nobody around. I spent an entire day in Honeycomb and every run down was first tracks. The Summit lift also has some really fun runs when you go to the left of the lift into an area called the headwall. We'd spend most of our mornings on the Summit lift, hit Honeycomb just before lunch, then after lunch more of the summit and Honeycomb once or twice to finish off. There's a reason why Solitude is called Solitude, not many people around, especially on the Summit lift and honeycomb. One last thing that's awesome about Solitude is that you ski free on your birthday. I

I'll take a lot of crap for promoting Sundance, but that was my base resort. I lived fifteen minutes from there and my senior year in particular I spent more time on that mountain than I did in class. Sure, it's tiny, the snow isn't that great, and it's not very challenging. But that's kind of where I cut my teeth, so to speak. I have fond memories of mastering Bishops Bowl, hitting the stump jump, and going way way back, night skiing with our elementary school group.
                          Small ski areas are great, and often have more flavor even if they have less vertical pitch than the big boys. Sundance is a fun place. I am disappointed that you would stop at Solitude when another 5 minutes up the canyon would put you at an equally affordable lift ticket at much better resort.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                            Here's all you need to know about Sundance: Years ago I actually got to meet Robert Redford while we were both skiing, after he opened his Sundance resort. I met him at Alta.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Here's all you need to know about Sundance: Years ago I actually got to meet Robert Redford while we were both skiing, after he opened his Sundance resort. I met him at Alta.
                              Hey now, no reason to mock. I admitted that it was an inferior resort, but it was where I grew up and for that it will always be a special place. That said, I can't count how many times I've seen Bob (as they call him in the lift lines) on his own mountain. I even came close to sharing a lift with him once, he nearly always rides alone at Sundance and there's usually a ski patrol guy that shadows him to keep people from getting to close. It was always a treat to say "I skied with Robert Redford" at the end of the day, even though everyone knew what that meant.
                              Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                                Small ski areas are great, and often have more flavor even if they have less vertical pitch than the big boys. Sundance is a fun place. I am disappointed that you would stop at Solitude when another 5 minutes up the canyon would put you at an equally affordable lift ticket at much better resort.
                                For me Solitude was cheaper and at the time they didn't allow snowboarders. They still don't on the summit lift and in Honeycomb canyon. My brother worked in the travel industry and could get me reduced tickets. I'd pay $15 for a full day at Solitude, that was about half the price of Brighton at the time.

The thing about Solitude is that you have to get to know it to appreciate it. If you stay on the front mountain and ski the quad all day then it's boring. Powderhorn is fun, but the best stuff off that lift would take you to Honeycomb, or down the backside to the Summit. I've skied all the resorts along the Wasatch front plenty and the right places in Solitude on a good day (summit and Honeycomb) made me very happy. I'm not saying either resort is the best in the world, just that I have a lot of good memories there because of how frequently I skied there.

Oh, and if anyone is looking for an awesome date go to the yurt at Solitude. Great food and a cool xc ski trail to get there and back.
                                Alessandro Manzoni

pelagius

Comment

Working...
                                X