Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    You guys need to learn to ride switch to keep the back leg fresh.
    Lol. Tell me about it. Early Feb I had my 10 yo son and a couple of his cousins around the same age at Brighton. They're learning so I planned to ride the whole day switch. First run of the day I was going about 25 mph coming down the western trail off Majestic. I carelessly looked back to make sure they were keeping pace, caught an edge and completely ate shit. Like I don't ever remember crashing that hard. I didn't have my helmet strapped so that went flying. I'm pretty sure I got a concussion and my chest is finally starting to feel back to normal. And all that was minor compared to getting made fun of the rest of the day by three pre-teen smartasses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
      You guys need to learn to ride switch to keep the back leg fresh.
      That would make a world of difference for me. But as my number one goal is to not fall, I am scared to do anything other than my normal routine. Maybe next year...
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        I had a good day snowmobiling in the Uintas as well... only got stuck three times in all that freak'n powder.
        Had to dig my kids out 3 times yesterday in the Uintas. No new snow but the heavy stuff is just as frustrating.
        "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Good grief this season doesn't want to stop. Trying to clear out some meetings to go have a little fun today.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
            Good grief this season doesn't want to stop. Trying to clear out some meetings to go have a little fun today.

Unbelievable... I wonder when flood season will begin.
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Hit up Brighton today for a couple hours. Spent the whole time on milly and found so many fresh tracks. The mountain is as good now as any time of the year and they’re shutting down next week. Freaking forest service.

Comment

Hit up Brighton today for a couple hours. Spent the whole time on milly and found so many fresh tracks. The mountain is as good now as any time of the year and they’re shutting down next week. Freaking forest service.
                Why do they have to shut down?
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                  Why do they have to shut down?
                  In a some cases, the workers are seasonal, so they're contracted for a certain length of time, then they move on. In other cases, the resorts have set schedules based on the weather in a typical year and are already prepping for the spring and summer activities.

Comment

• It's been another great winter. So good that Snowbird/Alta have been closed because of avalanches.

I was at PCMR on Wednesday and continually amazed at the size of that resort. I spent the whole day on the Canyons side and had a blast. If my Slopes app is to be believed I got in a 3.7 mile run. The snow was fine, but a bit windblown. I'm taking my son to Brighton tomorrow and kind of dreading the Saturday traffic.

Comment

• Yeesh. That sounds great. I've already gone this year-- did a Saturday up at Tamarack in McCall. I was pretty impressed; I thought it would be just meh but it was pretty quality. About like Targhee except with heavier snow of course.
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

It's been another great winter. So good that Snowbird/Alta have been closed because of avalanches.

I was at PCMR on Wednesday and continually amazed at the size of that resort. I spent the whole day on the Canyons side and had a blast. If my Slopes app is to be believed I got in a 3.7 mile run. The snow was fine, but a bit windblown. I'm taking my son to Brighton tomorrow and kind of dreading the Saturday traffic.
                        Pro tip: Drive up early such that you arrive around 7:30-7:45 a.m., park, and then either get breakfast there (Milly Chalet opens at 8:30) or take breakfast with you and relax and eat in the car. Lifts open at 9.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                          Yeesh. That sounds great. I've already gone this year-- did a Saturday up at Tamarack in McCall. I was pretty impressed; I thought it would be just meh but it was pretty quality. About like Targhee except with heavier snow of course.
                          And you didn't stop by to say hello?
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                            Pro tip: Drive up early such that you arrive around 7:30-7:45 a.m., park, and then either get breakfast there (Milly Chalet opens at 8:30) or take breakfast with you and relax and eat in the car. Lifts open at 9.
                            Haha. Pro tip: go early.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I got in a couple hours at Solitude this morning. A little windy at the top of Summit, but otherwise a perfect blue bird day with decent snow.

Comment

• We'll be in utah next week. My kids have all skied 6-8 times in the last three years. None of them are particularly good (but my 13 yo has no fear...which could easily lead to his demise). 1/2 their skiing was done on a very small mountain on the east coast. When they go to Utah, they are definitely intimidated.

Do you have any recommendation for a ski resort with manageable slopes along the wasatch front? Any to definitely avoid?
                                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Working...
                                X