No announcement yet.

Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of Ted Ligety videos are floating around on FB, pretty amazing how well and fast he can carve his turns.

Comment

• Hit up Solitude today for the first time in forever. So much fun. Not a lot of fresh tracks, but still just a perfect day. I’ve been a dozen times this season to the four cottonwood resorts (ditched the board to go to Alta). Snowbird is still king. Brighton is always fun. Alta is great except skiing isn’t as fun as snowboarding. I’m heading to PCMR tomorrow and having a hard time sleeping I’m so excited. I love Utah so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
        Hit up Solitude today for the first time in forever. So much fun. Not a lot of fresh tracks, but still just a perfect day. I’ve been a dozen times this season to the four cottonwood resorts (ditched the board to go to Alta). Snowbird is still king. Brighton is always fun. Alta is great except skiing isn’t as fun as snowboarding. I’m heading to PCMR tomorrow and having a hard time sleeping I’m so excited. I love Utah so much.
        I went to Brighton yesterday and it was great. About the same as Solitude it appears. I was able to find some areas where the snow was still quite fresh, but for the most part it had been tracked. The best part was it wasn't crowded at all. My brother went up on Wednesday and said it was a mess. I was able to trash my legs by about noon, have a little lunch and get down the canyon just in time to go to my son's activity at his school near the mouth of the canyon.

When I was driving down the canyon I almost wished I had used one of my free days at Solitude. It looked really nice over there.
        When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

• I'm heading up for two days of skiing next week. Thinking of doing Brighton and Alta this year.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Can't wait to get out. Heading to Whistler for another 2-3 days, depending on how good conditions are when I get there. I need to get my cardio on point in the next month so it's not a total waste...
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
              I'm heading up for two days of skiing next week. Thinking of doing Brighton and Alta this year.
              I'll be there in two weeks. Only have time for one day of skiing, so I think I'm going to hit Brighton. My son will be on a board, so Alta is out.

Comment

• Park City was pretty great today. They had a championship competition and I got to watch Chloe Kim do a half pipe run while I was on the lift. That was neat. I do love that resort, if only because of how huge it is. You can spend a whole day there and not hit the same run twice.

Comment

• Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

I’ve been getting my little family out to the slopes in Colorado this month. The skiing is good but getting there is a pain. The nearest resort to downtown denver is about 1.5 hours from my home under the best circumstances. On Saturdays, I-70 is a nightmare—that same drive can be three or even four hours.

We just plan on being up and out the door by 5:30. That gets us on the slope by opening, when we can get a few good hours in before the crowd shows up. Makes me miss Utah, where the time between “Gee, the weather seems nice today, maybe I should go skiing” and sitting on the lift is less than an hour.
                  τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• I skied my favorite place today, Teton Mother Effin' Village. It it snowed a bunch yesterday, last night, and all day today, so conditions were good. (So good that if you had an inkling of how exquisite it was you would be quite debilitated.)

I'm here tomorrow too and it's supposed to keep snowing all night and all day tomorrow. :rockon2:
                    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                      I skied my favorite place today, Teton Mother Effin' Village. It it snowed a bunch yesterday, last night, and all day today, so conditions were good. (So good that if you had an inkling of how exquisite it was you would be quite debilitated.)

I'm here tomorrow too and it's supposed to keep snowing all night and all day tomorrow. :rockon2:
                      Super jealous. Have fun!

Comment

I skied my favorite place today, Teton Mother Effin' Village. It it snowed a bunch yesterday, last night, and all day today, so conditions were good. (So good that if you had an inkling of how exquisite it was you would be quite debilitated.)

I've never skied TV, but I'm curious: why do you like it more than Targhee? I've never seen a more underrated place than Grand Targhee. Its elevation and location make it a gem. The elevation allows it to be on the sunny side of the mountain and have tons of open space while the snow stays light. Relatively few shady, icy spots, lots of bumps and plenty of topographical diversity. It's been a long time, but the lines were manageable the last time I went, and glorious compared to the lower resorts in Utah or the western slope of Colorado.

I'm not the ski snob I was 25 years ago, and I stay close to home now, but I loved Targhee. The higher Utah resorts really do have some of the greatest snow on earth, but GT is right there with them.
                        sigpic
                        "Outlined against a blue, gray
                        October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                        Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                          I've never skied TV, but I'm curious: why do you like it more than Targhee? I've never seen a more underrated place than Grand Targhee. Its elevation and location make it a gem. The elevation allows it to be on the sunny side of the mountain and have tons of open space while the snow stays light. Relatively few shady, icy spots, lots of bumps and plenty of topographical diversity. It's been a long time, but the lines were manageable the last time I went, and glorious compared to the lower resorts in Utah or the western slope of Colorado.

I'm not the ski snob I was 25 years ago, and I stay close to home now, but I loved Targhee. The higher Utah resorts really do have some of the greatest snow on earth, but GT is right there with them.

Teton Village is far and away the superior resort, all snow being equal. Targhee is a nice little local secret because there really isn't that much mountain. It is perfectly situated to get dumped on and will almost always get the superior snow. But when Teton Village gets a good pow day-- watch out! TV is known for its steeps and just bottomless vertical- especially if you're taking tram runs. Targhee has nothing even remotely on the same level as Rendevous Bowl. There are some nice tree areas e.g. Blackfoot, and some cool little traverses and a nice bowl that is always powdery off Sacajewea, but Targee isn't on the same level as Jackson. I'll always take a snowy Targhee over an icy Jackson Hole/TV, though, and that's why I've ridden there so much more than TV, but when there's snow at Teton Village, you take it and don't look back!
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                            Teton Village is far and away the superior resort, all snow being equal. Targhee is a nice little local secret because there really isn't that much mountain. It is perfectly situated to get dumped on and will almost always get the superior snow. But when Teton Village gets a good pow day-- watch out! TV is known for its steeps and just bottomless vertical- especially if you're taking tram runs. Targhee has nothing even remotely on the same level as Rendevous Bowl. There are some nice tree areas e.g. Blackfoot, and some cool little traverses and a nice bowl that is always powdery off Sacajewea, but Targee isn't on the same level as Jackson. I'll always take a snowy Targhee over an icy Jackson Hole/TV, though, and that's why I've ridden there so much more than TV, but when there's snow at Teton Village, you take it and don't look back!
                            What he said. I love Grand Targhee and probably have skied there 2x as many times at TV, but TV is just special.

Today they were running Kings and Queens of Corbet's so I watched a few crazy people take monstrous air off that lip.
                            Last edited by Lost Student; 02-12-2019, 06:15 PM.
                            "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                            "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                            This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                            "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                            "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Today they were running Kings and Queens of Corbet's so I watched a few crazy people take monstrous air off that lip.
                              Love watching that.
                              "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

What he said. I love Grand Targhee and probably have skied there 2x as many times at TV, but TV is just special.

I subscribed to this cool little youtube channel where these dorky Canadians teach snowboard skills/tricks and go to different resorts. They were at Jackson yesterday, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X