Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 703

Thread: Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

  1. #1

    Default Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

    I don't know how many of you Cuffers like to hit the slopes, but I know I've read a few posts about skiing from some of you (jxncoog and Surfah come to mind).

    Think of this thread as a winter version of the Golf thread--relive your favorite ski/board days, talk about future skiing plans, share news of upcoming snow forecasts, or whatever. Maybe some day we will have a Cuffer ski day at Snowbird or something.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

  2. #2
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    20,840

    Default

    WHen my knees were much younger I used to ski a lot. One of my most memorable days was skiing on Germania at Alta on a mid week late winter day (who needs school?) when i was 17. At the mid run lodge the staff dragged out these old klipsch speakers thay used and were BLASTING suffragette city as my firned and I blasted through the bumps down to the face.

    Now, fast forward more years than I care to count and I am up on a silly little slope at a silly little resort in california (really, I am embarassed to mention it) and for the firs ttime I brought my mp3 player with me skiing. I pop it on as I statrt down the run and of the 500 or so songs I have on there, the one it randomply plays is, you guessed, suffragette City. I felt the decades melt away, and I didnt even fall. A glorious day.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  3. #3
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    14,853

    Default

    sadly, i think this season is dunzo.

    I could be wrong, though.

    I thought we'd get way more snow than we did. I didn't even have any epic days. Suck.

  4. #4

    Default

    My kids go at least once a week (not on Utah quality slopes but they like it). In our neck of the woods they let the kids out of school early every Wednesday so they can go hit the slopes.
    Last edited by pelagius; 03-12-2010 at 03:53 PM.

  5. #5
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    WHen my knees were much younger I used to ski a lot. One of my most memorable days was skiing on Germania at Alta on a mid week late winter day (who needs school?) when i was 17. At the mid run lodge the staff dragged out these old klipsch speakers thay used and were BLASTING suffragette city as my firned and I blasted through the bumps down to the face.

    Now, fast forward more years than I care to count and I am up on a silly little slope at a silly little resort in california (really, I am embarassed to mention it) and for the firs ttime I brought my mp3 player with me skiing. I pop it on as I statrt down the run and of the 500 or so songs I have on there, the one it randomply plays is, you guessed, suffragette City. I felt the decades melt away, and I didnt even fall. A glorious day.
    For a person that loves skiing (over snowboarding) is there anything more classic than the Germania chair at Alta?

    Alta is one of my favorite recreational places I've ever been and by far my favorite place to ski in Utah.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  6. #6

    Default

    Last week, my wife and kids drove down to Park City to stay at my in-laws' time share at PC Resort. We stayed for about a week. The snow wasn't great at first, but a storm was moving in and those really big flakes started coming down on us during our first morning on the mountain. By the second morning, about 10 inches had accumulated. It was a little wet and heavy for Utah snow but still great.

    We skiied Thaynes for a lot of that first day and had great snow all day. The moguls were perfect--enough snow on top of them to make them nice and soft. To me, one of the the best feelings is going down through powder, maintaining a good rhythm, floating back and forth. Awesome.

    We only got a significant amount of snow that first day, and it was kind of cloudy with the sun peeking through the rest of the week. The great thing was that even five days later, there were patches of untracked snow over on Jupiter Bowl. Skiing in fresh snow in the sunshine =

    I was worried on the first day that I would be gassed after just a few runs because this was the only skiing I've been able to do since this same trip a year ago, but I managed to keep up with the other skiers (my Father-in-Law and Sister-in-Law, who are both great skiiers).

    On the third day we were there, I took my daughter for a few runs on the beginner lift. She is too young to really learn much actual skiing technique and I mostly held her as we went, but it was really cool to be able to get her on skiis and see her enjoy it. Ever since she was born, I have looked forward to teaching her how to ski. A few days later, I took her out again and she lasted a little longer.

    Overall, it was an awesome trip and makes me want to quit my job and become a ski bum. I wonder what my wife will think about that?
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

  7. #7

    Default

    I started skiing when I was five at Alta. I was fortunate that I grew up within five to ten minutes of Big Cottonwood Canyon . I was also fortunate that I had a father that loved to ski and paid for it. I also started snowboarding back in the early eighties before the sport was even allowed at Utah resorts. I had a Burton Backhill in those days and would take it up into the back country when my family went snowmobiling.

    I was pretty hard core all the way through college and then because of knee injuries (in other sports) switched exclusively to snowboarding for many years. The introduction of shaped skis got me back into skiing because they were shorter, more precise, took some of the guesswork out of skiing crud, and more knee friendly. Now I mostly ski although it's more of ski groomers and enjoy being in the mountains type of deal. I still pull out the snowboard on deep powder days.

    Current equipment is Rossignol Bandit XX skis with Salomon bindings. My old Salomon boots just gave up the ghost so I'm in the market for something else. The Bandit XX skis are among the best all mountain skis ever built and I will keep them until they die.

    I demo'd a lot of boards before I finally settled on an Airwalk Champ 165. I have the really nice Shimano Skylord clicker boots and clicker bindings. I've outgrown the boots which is a bummer because they were top of the line and really expensive. The clicker setup has fallen out of favor for most so I'll probably get some new boots and Flow bindings for next year.

  8. #8
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    20,840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    For a person that loves skiing (over snowboarding) is there anything more classic than the Germania chair at Alta?

    Alta is one of my favorite recreational places I've ever been and by far my favorite place to ski in Utah.
    ALta is my favorite place to ski ever. I have skied all over the west and in quite afew places in Europe and have never been anywhere I like more than Alta.

    Oh, and as you know, if you bring your snowboard, you can stadn with it in the parking lot, becasue they won't let you up on the slopes with it. (Is this still true? I guess I havent been ther in a few years .. .)
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    For a person that loves skiing (over snowboarding) is there anything more classic than the Germania chair at Alta?

    Alta is one of my favorite recreational places I've ever been and by far my favorite place to ski in Utah.
    I agree about Alta. My favorite place to ski in Utah and maybe second-fave overall, after Teton Village (although Targhee comes close for sentimental reasons).

    I have a theory that the snow stays better longer at Alta because there are no snowboards with their larger surface area to pack it down. I have noticed after skiing consecutive days at Snowbird and Alta (a few weeks after the most recent snow storm) that Alta had significantly better snow.

    Not that I have anything against boarders--most of family snowboards--just something I noticed.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

  10. #10
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    ALta is my favorite place to ski ever. I have skied all over the west and in quite afew places in Europe and have never been anywhere I like more than Alta.

    Oh, and as you know, if you bring your snowboard, you can stadn with it in the parking lot, becasue they won't let you up on the slopes with it. (Is this still true? I guess I havent been ther in a few years .. .)
    It is still true and still as blessed as ever.

    Snowboarders need not apply.

    I have never skied Euro, but have skied Utah, Idaho, Mammoth, Tahoe, Colorado, and Vermont. Alta is also my fave. Vermont was an abomination and people on the East coast should be embarrassed to call that skiing. Worst snow possible. Icy conditions and flat mountains.

    I'd love to ski in Italy....the place where they filmed the original Pink Panther movie. So awesome. We were going to go there this past year but had to change our plans. I still want to get there someday.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Oh, and as you know, if you bring your snowboard, you can stadn with it in the parking lot, becasue they won't let you up on the slopes with it. (Is this still true? I guess I havent been ther in a few years .. .)
    Snowboarders can always get to the top of Snowbird and hike the little bit to the top and board down. But yes, it is still true that you are not allowed on the chairlifts if you only have 1 stick.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

  12. #12
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    20,840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    It is still true and still as blessed as ever.

    Snowboarders need not apply.

    I have never skied Euro, but have skied Utah, Idaho, Mammoth, Tahoe, Colorado, and Vermont. Alta is also my fave. Vermont was an abomination and people on the East coast should be embarrassed to call that skiing. Worst snow possible. Icy conditions and flat mountains.

    I'd love to ski in Italy....the place where they filmed the original Pink Panther movie. So awesome. We were going to go there this past year but had to change our plans. I still want to get there someday.
    We skied courmayer (sp?) and a couple of other places in Italy and enoyed it very much. But it wasn't better than Alta.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

    I have never skied Euro, but have skied Utah, Idaho, Mammoth, Tahoe, Colorado, and Vermont. Alta is also my fave. Vermont was an abomination and people on the East coast should be embarrassed to call that skiing. Worst snow possible. Icy conditions and flat mountains.

    I'd love to ski in Italy....the place where they filmed the original Pink Panther movie. So awesome. We were going to go there this past year but had to change our plans. I still want to get there someday.
    I haven't skied anywhere in the East but skiing Lake Placid is on my bucket list.

    My FIL went to France last month for a skiing trip and I was invited but couldn't go. The original itinerary included 3 nights in Chamonix and 5 nights in Arabba in the Dolomites.

    Maybe next year.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

  14. #14

    Default

    I think it's cool that Alta still only allows skiers. I haven't been there in years, though. Do they still have those rickety old chairs? I remember skiing there with my pops in the fifth grade and taking down my first black diamond and riding Sugarloaf on the same day. It was like a coming of age experience. It almost makes me want to start skiing again.

  15. #15
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    I think it's cool that Alta still only allows skiers. I haven't been there in years, though. Do they still have those rickety old chairs? I remember skiing there with my pops in the fifth grade and taking down my first black diamond and riding Sugarloaf on the same day. It was like a coming of age experience. It almost makes me want to start skiing again.
    the winter sports community does not need guys with Slayer stickers loitering around on the slopes. please go "catch some extreme air" somewhere else. I am sure there are plenty of other places to "get radical" on your snowboard, "bro."
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    the winter sports community does not need guys with Slayer stickers loitering around on the slopes. please go "catch some extreme air" somewhere else. I am sure there are plenty of other places to "get radical" on your snowboard, "bro."
    But "shredding" is "wicked" "gnarly," "homeboy"!

  17. #17
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,913

    Default

    I have only gotten out about 8 times this year. The snow has sucked big time up here, and with camp season rapidly approaching I am now hopeful that this weekend is our last snow of the year.

    I am heading up tomorrow, probably will just bike though. Skiing seems like so much work now.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  18. #18

    Default

    I love Alta's purity. Snowboards also wreck the bumps. I support snowboards never being allowed there.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    I love Alta's purity. Snowboards also wreck the bumps. I support snowboards never being allowed there.
    Yes! Just last week I saw boarders side-sliding through mogul runs and

    I really didn't mean this to be a thread about bashing snowboarding, though, as I would like to include all downhill winter sports. Except slalom boarding, as only creepy old men in single-piece snow suits ride those things.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

  20. #20
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    20,840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Student View Post
    Yes! Just last week I saw boarders side-sliding through mogul runs and

    I really didn't mean this to be a thread about bashing snowboarding, though, as I would like to include all downhill winter sports. Except slalom boarding, as only creepy old men in single-piece snow suits ride those things.
    To show you how old I am, my skiing outfit of choice is some jeans and a retor (but I have owned it since it was new) woll sweater.

    What is a slalom board?

    The problem I have is that my youngest only snowboards so we now go to places that take skis and snowboards. Oh well.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    To show you how old I am, my skiing outfit of choice is some jeans and a retor (but I have owned it since it was new) woll sweater.
    Wow. You continue to outcreek yourself! Please tell me this is supposed to say retro wool sweater. lol.

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    What is a slalom board?
    My understanding is that it could be two different types of boards:

    First, picture a typical snowboard that uses ski boots and bindings instead of snow board boots:

    (Notice the orientation of the bindings are much more front-facing than a typical snowboard.)


    Also, and I'm not sure that the second type I'm thinking of are actually called slalom boards (maybe just ski boards?), but it looks like two skis stuck together:



    The problem I have is that my youngest only snowboards so we now go to places that take skis and snowboards. Oh well.
    I have this fear already and I am brainwashing my daughter to never want to snowboard.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Student View Post
    My understanding is that it could be two different types of boards:

    First, picture a typical snowboard that uses ski boots and bindings instead of snow board boots:

    (Notice the orientation of the bindings are much more front-facing than a typical snowboard.)


    Also, and I'm not sure that the second type I'm thinking of are actually called slalom boards (maybe just ski boards?), but it looks like two skis stuck together:




    I have this fear already and I am brainwashing my daughter to never want to snowboard.
    That thing in your pic is usually called a mono ski. I've tried them and it really isn't much fun unless you're in deep powder.

  24. #24
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    14,853

    Default

    I started out on skis. Once I switched to snowboarding in the mid 90's (on a ghetto K2 Farmer and some Sorels fitted w/ ski boot linings) I never looked back.

    Snowboarding is the superior sport as far as fun factor goes. Skiing is right up there with rollerblading in my book.

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    That thing in your pic is usually called a mono ski. I've tried them and it really isn't much fun unless you're in deep powder.
    Yes, that's right. I spaced on the name. The bottom images are of a monoski. They look like no fun at all. I like using my inside edges.


    Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    I started out on skis. Once I switched to snowboarding in the mid 90's (on a ghetto K2 Farmer and some Sorels fitted w/ ski boot linings) I never looked back.

    Snowboarding is the superior sport as far as fun factor goes. Skiing is right up there with rollerblading in my book.
    I ... ... not sure what to say. I can understand that a lot of people prefer snowboarding to skiing--everyone has their opinion-- but rollerblading?
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

  26. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    For a person that loves skiing (over snowboarding) is there anything more classic than the Germania chair at Alta?

    Alta is one of my favorite recreational places I've ever been and by far my favorite place to ski in Utah.
    The old Germania lift was great, but my favorite area in Alta will always be the East Greeley area. The chutes there are steep, deep and a lot of fun to get down, plus there's hardly anyone there, even on the busiest days. Alta was always a great place to go but it doesn't hold the nostalgia that Solitude and Sundance have for me.

    I know, I know, you're wondering how I could prefer Solitude and Sundance to perhaps the greatest ski resort in the world. I will admit freely that Alta is a better, but growing up, for reasons of economy (Solitude) and proximity (Sundance) those were the resorts I went to the most. When it's open, Solitude's Honeycomb Canyon has some of the best chutes around. The powder is awesome and, once again, nobody around. I spent an entire day in Honeycomb and every run down was first tracks. The Summit lift also has some really fun runs when you go to the left of the lift into an area called the headwall. We'd spend most of our mornings on the Summit lift, hit Honeycomb just before lunch, then after lunch more of the summit and Honeycomb once or twice to finish off. There's a reason why Solitude is called Solitude, not many people around, especially on the Summit lift and honeycomb. One last thing that's awesome about Solitude is that you ski free on your birthday. I

    I'll take a lot of crap for promoting Sundance, but that was my base resort. I lived fifteen minutes from there and my senior year in particular I spent more time on that mountain than I did in class. Sure, it's tiny, the snow isn't that great, and it's not very challenging. But that's kind of where I cut my teeth, so to speak. I have fond memories of mastering Bishops Bowl, hitting the stump jump, and going way way back, night skiing with our elementary school group.

    I don't get out on the mountain as much as I used to. Knee injuries have taken some of the joy away and now I live far away from the greatest snow on earth that I knew and loved in my youth. The snow here is heavier, icier, and I have to drive two hours, pay $50 to wait in line 30 minutes just to ski down what most Western skiers would consider a bunny hill with bumps here and there. Sometimes you don't realize what you have or how lucky you are until it's gone.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

    pelagius

  27. #27
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pellegrino View Post
    The old Germania lift was great, but my favorite area in Alta will always be the East Greeley area. The chutes there are steep, deep and a lot of fun to get down, plus there's hardly anyone there, even on the busiest days. Alta was always a great place to go but it doesn't hold the nostalgia that Solitude and Sundance have for me.

    I know, I know, you're wondering how I could prefer Solitude and Sundance to perhaps the greatest ski resort in the world. I will admit freely that Alta is a better, but growing up, for reasons of economy (Solitude) and proximity (Sundance) those were the resorts I went to the most. When it's open, Solitude's Honeycomb Canyon has some of the best chutes around. The powder is awesome and, once again, nobody around. I spent an entire day in Honeycomb and every run down was first tracks. The Summit lift also has some really fun runs when you go to the left of the lift into an area called the headwall. We'd spend most of our mornings on the Summit lift, hit Honeycomb just before lunch, then after lunch more of the summit and Honeycomb once or twice to finish off. There's a reason why Solitude is called Solitude, not many people around, especially on the Summit lift and honeycomb. One last thing that's awesome about Solitude is that you ski free on your birthday. I

    I'll take a lot of crap for promoting Sundance, but that was my base resort. I lived fifteen minutes from there and my senior year in particular I spent more time on that mountain than I did in class. Sure, it's tiny, the snow isn't that great, and it's not very challenging. But that's kind of where I cut my teeth, so to speak. I have fond memories of mastering Bishops Bowl, hitting the stump jump, and going way way back, night skiing with our elementary school group.
    Small ski areas are great, and often have more flavor even if they have less vertical pitch than the big boys. Sundance is a fun place. I am disappointed that you would stop at Solitude when another 5 minutes up the canyon would put you at an equally affordable lift ticket at much better resort.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  28. #28
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    20,840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pellegrino View Post
    I'll take a lot of crap for promoting Sundance, but that was my base resort. I lived fifteen minutes from there and my senior year in particular I spent more time on that mountain than I did in class. Sure, it's tiny, the snow isn't that great, and it's not very challenging. But that's kind of where I cut my teeth, so to speak. I have fond memories of mastering Bishops Bowl, hitting the stump jump, and going way way back, night skiing with our elementary school group.
    Here's all you need to know about Sundance: Years ago I actually got to meet Robert Redford while we were both skiing, after he opened his Sundance resort. I met him at Alta.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  29. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Here's all you need to know about Sundance: Years ago I actually got to meet Robert Redford while we were both skiing, after he opened his Sundance resort. I met him at Alta.
    Hey now, no reason to mock. I admitted that it was an inferior resort, but it was where I grew up and for that it will always be a special place. That said, I can't count how many times I've seen Bob (as they call him in the lift lines) on his own mountain. I even came close to sharing a lift with him once, he nearly always rides alone at Sundance and there's usually a ski patrol guy that shadows him to keep people from getting to close. It was always a treat to say "I skied with Robert Redford" at the end of the day, even though everyone knew what that meant.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

    pelagius

  30. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Small ski areas are great, and often have more flavor even if they have less vertical pitch than the big boys. Sundance is a fun place. I am disappointed that you would stop at Solitude when another 5 minutes up the canyon would put you at an equally affordable lift ticket at much better resort.
    For me Solitude was cheaper and at the time they didn't allow snowboarders. They still don't on the summit lift and in Honeycomb canyon. My brother worked in the travel industry and could get me reduced tickets. I'd pay $15 for a full day at Solitude, that was about half the price of Brighton at the time.

    The thing about Solitude is that you have to get to know it to appreciate it. If you stay on the front mountain and ski the quad all day then it's boring. Powderhorn is fun, but the best stuff off that lift would take you to Honeycomb, or down the backside to the Summit. I've skied all the resorts along the Wasatch front plenty and the right places in Solitude on a good day (summit and Honeycomb) made me very happy. I'm not saying either resort is the best in the world, just that I have a lot of good memories there because of how frequently I skied there.

    Oh, and if anyone is looking for an awesome date go to the yurt at Solitude. Great food and a cool xc ski trail to get there and back.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

    pelagius

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •