Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    Last year was just brutal for that area. IIRC they were trucking snow in for the Olympics, no?

This thread has me jonesing to go snowboarding. I have been once in the last 3 years. My gear has been sitting in a storage unit. I have been tempted to unload it all on Craigslist or something, but 3 seasons out of style and living in Virginia doesn't make me think I'd get much for any of it.
    Two years ago I finally sold my old front entry Lange boots (they were so sweet when I got them) that I had been lugging around for eight years hoping I'd live in a place where I could use them. It was an emotional moment.

I still have an old pair of Atomic skis in storage with my parents, but they're pre-parabolic and not worth a dime. I may salvage the bindings on them and buy a new pair, but not this year, as I don't have the time (two hours to the closest resort) or the money ($55) for two lifts with man made ice.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
      Two years ago I finally sold my old front entry Lange boots (they were so sweet when I got them) that I had been lugging around for eight years hoping I'd live in a place where I could use them. It was an emotional moment.

I still have an old pair of Atomic skis in storage with my parents, but they're pre-parabolic and not worth a dime. I may salvage the bindings on them and buy a new pair, but not this year, as I don't have the time (two hours to the closest resort) or the money ($55) for two lifts with man made ice.
      Don't you go knocking the straight skis! I still use them from time to time to show these young whippersnappers how it's done.
      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Same issues here. Too far and too much for crappy snow. I think though I'll pull them out of storage in case we get dumped on again this year. I'd love to build a little kicker and board down some of the hills around here.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
          Don't you go knocking the straight skis! I still use them from time to time to show these young whippersnappers how it's done.
          I've never owned a pair of parabolics. To give you an idea of how old school I am, these Atomic skis are 204s. Not the greatest for bumps, but on icy days it was a blast to fly down the mountain with them. I'd try (and some times succeed) in lapping my friends on the old triple chair lift at Sundance.
          Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

I've never owned a pair of parabolics. To give you an idea of how old school I am, these Atomic skis are 204s. Not the greatest for bumps, but on icy days it was a blast to fly down the mountain with them. I'd try (and some times succeed) in lapping my friends on the old triple chair lift at Sundance.
            I skied on Olin 205s. Yes, those were the babies I learned to do bumps on. There are many skiers who are more aggressive and better in terms of getting down the mountain, but few have my crisp technique in doing so. I still, to this day, ski with my skis so close my boots touch. Old fashioned, but graceful, especially for a guy like me who has left the bumps behind.

My dad, who is literally the best skier I have ever seen in person, still feels most at home on straight old school skis. He was notorious for skiing backwards - paralleling down steep hills, mind you - on old straight skis. It's kind of fun to ski with him because he shows up in a ratty coat with jeans on and these ancient skis, looking like some old ski hobo. And then he proceeds to beat the pants off of everybody on the mountain.
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Mine were 187s...after Rossignol went to that odd sizing.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

It's kind of fun to ski with him because he shows up in a ratty coat with jeans on and these ancient skis, looking like some old ski hobo. And then he proceeds to beat the pants off of everybody on the mountain.
                Back in the day we would go to a remote canyon in Emery County to play around in the snow. We would build a jump and there was a makeshift halfpipe that some of the instructors at Wasatch Academy had built for their students. One day we show up and their are a couple of farmboys from Huntington in their insulated Carharts and discount boards from Pedersens. We started watching them and they had some serious skillz, one of the guys was pulling off a reverse rodeo with no problem at all. It was almost like a movie scene.

Comment

I skied on Olin 205s. Yes, those were the babies I learned to do bumps on. There are many skiers who are more aggressive and better in terms of getting down the mountain, but few have my crisp technique in doing so. I still, to this day, ski with my skis so close my boots touch. Old fashioned, but graceful, especially for a guy like me who has left the bumps behind.

My dad, who is literally the best skier I have ever seen in person, still feels most at home on straight old school skis. He was notorious for skiing backwards - paralleling down steep hills, mind you - on old straight skis. It's kind of fun to ski with him because he shows up in a ratty coat with jeans on and these ancient skis, looking like some old ski hobo. And then he proceeds to beat the pants off of everybody on the mountain.
                  In high school, you were considered less than a man if you skied on anything shorter than 195. If you were really good with the bumps 190s would be passable, and the likely explanation for doing well with the bumps A common complaint was "Hell, I could ski like that too with toothpicks on my feet!" We were so lame.
                  Alessandro Manzoni

pelagius

Comment

In high school, you were considered less than a man if you skied on anything shorter than 195. If you were really good with the bumps 190s would be passable, and the likely explanation for doing well with the bumps A common complaint was "Hell, I could ski like that too with toothpicks on my feet!" We were so lame.
                    This is so true! My main skis were Kastle RX National Team SL 205 cm. The same ski Priman Zurbriggen (sp?) used to win the gold medal in the Olympics. They were absolutely fantastic skis. I also had a pair of PRE GS skis that were a touch shorter.

I used to laugh at the guys who would rip the bumps in 160's. They got no respect.

Comment

if none of you have done the twin tip thing, i highly recommend it. i have some 185 volkl karmas that are the bomb.
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

The last several years I've been running mid-fat Rossignol Bandit XX. They have been awesome for everything except bumps (which I have given up).

This year I have to find new boots. I decided I'm going the fitted route which should add up to a lot more $$$$ than I really want to pay.

Comment

Thank you snow! Finally, after a sluggish start with snow, then rain, then more rain, it finally looks like snow is here to stay.

Friday should be my first day of the year, I might even break out the skis instead of just the bike. Also here is a cool article from last year about ski biking, set to sweep the nation!
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

I do my skiing a little bit different than y'all... My skis are attached to a M7.

[YOUTUBE]fE_G0tgIKww[/YOUTUBE]

Remember, when it doubt gas it out.
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                              I do my skiing a little bit different than y'all... My skis are attached to a M7.

[YOUTUBE]fE_G0tgIKww[/YOUTUBE]

Remember, when it doubt gas it out.
                              i've watched this at least 20 times over the last couple of years. so good.
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Are there any resorts in Utah that allow your ski bike? Those things have to be pretty dangerous without a tether, no? Also I watched a few Youtube videos and it seems weird that both pegs are next to each other rather than on in front of another like if you were standing on your pedals. I'd think that would be a much more natural position for a rider and would let one to better control the bike.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X