Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
    I’ve been getting my little family out to the slopes in Colorado this month. The skiing is good but getting there is a pain. The nearest resort to downtown denver is about 1.5 hours from my home under the best circumstances. On Saturdays, I-70 is a nightmare—that same drive can be three or even four hours.

We just plan on being up and out the door by 5:30. That gets us on the slope by opening, when we can get a few good hours in before the crowd shows up. Makes me miss Utah, where the time between “Gee, the weather seems nice today, maybe I should go skiing” and sitting on the lift is less than an hour.
    Your post reminds me of this video. One of my favorites.

When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

• Originally posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
      Your post reminds me of this video. One of my favorites.

Ah, that takes me back.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Had a perfect powder day yesterday at Brighton. It's been a great winter.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
          Had a perfect powder day yesterday at Brighton. It's been a great winter.
          I had a good day snowmobiling in the Uintas as well... only got stuck three times in all that freak'n powder.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Got in a few runs this morning at Brighton. It was snowy and windy at the top of GWE and Snake, but calmed down once you dropped in. There were a ton of fresh tracks, even in the main areas. But underneath the foot of powder was a nasty sheet of ice. I was coming down Wrangler a little too fast and had to sit down. It hurt my butt. Otherwise a great day.

Also, does anyone have an opinion on SNOCRU v. Slopes for tracking? I've been using Slopes but wondering if anyone has used both.

Comment

• I got back from Whistler- the snow was pretty meh -- I would have been better off just going to Jackson or Utah, but who could have predicted the snow this year?
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                I got back from Whistler- the snow was pretty meh -- I would have been better off just going to Jackson or Utah, but who could have predicted the snow this year?
                That's too bad. I've always wanted to go there. Other than the average snow, was it a good trip? The town seems fun.

Comment

Got in a few runs this morning at Brighton. It was snowy and windy at the top of GWE and Snake, but calmed down once you dropped in. There were a ton of fresh tracks, even in the main areas. But underneath the foot of powder was a nasty sheet of ice. I was coming down Wrangler a little too fast and had to sit down. It hurt my butt. Otherwise a great day.

Also, does anyone have an opinion on SNOCRU v. Slopes for tracking? I've been using Slopes but wondering if anyone has used both.
                  GW is great on powder days. I hope you hit Clark’s Roost and True Grit. We had some amazing powder there a couple of weeks ago, even later in the day. It’s the perfect steepness for good powder. Then find powder stashes winding down through the trees to the base of Snake Creek.

I have never turned right off GW. I had to look at a trail map to see where a Wrangler is.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                    GW is great on powder days. I hope you hit Clark’s Roost and True Grit. We had some amazing powder there a couple of weeks ago, even later in the day. It’s the perfect steepness for good powder. Then find powder stashes winding down through the trees to the base of Snake Creek.

I have never turned right off GW. I had to look at a trail map to see where a Wrangler is.
                    I didn't hit up Clarks or Grit today because I didn't want to deal with the wind on Western Trail, but did both a few times last week and got a ton of powder. Also spent a lot of time on Lone Pine off Milly. My back leg was shot at the end of the day.

Comment

That's too bad. I've always wanted to go there. Other than the average snow, was it a good trip? The town seems fun.
                      Yeah it was an absolute blast despite the fact I only bothered to ski one day. Highly recommended. I go every year and make a thing out of it. This was probably a low point for snow there in the 5 years I've been going-- it's usually great. Not to say it was bad- just a bit icy up top and slushy near the base due to not getting any fresh for about 48 hours before I arrived. I stuck to doing runs between the trees for the loose, uncut snow in abundance there. It was still fun, but not steep bowl blasts like I'm used to.

And that's another thing. Whistler-Blackcomb is so big that there is somewhere on the mountain(s) that is skiable/enjoyable, so the gamble of booking there isn't really a gamble. For comparison, if Jackson's having a bad snow day you kind of just go home.
                      Last edited by Commando; 03-21-2019, 04:55 PM.
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

I didn't hit up Clarks or Grit today because I didn't want to deal with the wind on Western Trail, but did both a few times last week and got a ton of powder. Also spent a lot of time on Lone Pine off Milly. My back leg was shot at the end of the day.
                        80% of our runs were True Grit or Lone Pine. And we had the same back leg problem. We left at 3:00 and didn’t feel bad at all about leaving an unused hour on the $90 pass.

Comment

80% of our runs were True Grit or Lone Pine. And we had the same back leg problem. We left at 3:00 and didn’t feel bad at all about leaving an unused hour on the $90 pass.
                          Couple weeks ago I picked up the spring pass for $200. So nice to be able to go for a couple hours w/o destroying the whole day. Next season I’m definitely getting a season pass. I’m leaning towards the Ikon. In addition to a season at Solitude it comes with 5 to Brighton, Snowbird and Deer Valley for only $650.

Comment

Couple weeks ago I picked up the spring pass for $200. So nice to be able to go for a couple hours w/o destroying the whole day. Next season I’m definitely getting a season pass. I’m leaning towards the Ikon. In addition to a season at Solitude it comes with 5 to Brighton, Snowbird and Deer Valley for only $650.
                            That's not a bad deal if you use up the passes to the other resorts. I've never been a fan of Solitude. Especially not with Brighton right next door.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

You guys need to learn to ride switch to keep the back leg fresh.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                                That's not a bad deal if you use up the passes to the other resorts. I've never been a fan of Solitude. Especially not with Brighton right next door.
                                Solitude is a weird resort. I like the terrain there quite a bit, about like Brighton but nothing like Snowbird. There are a couple of really long runs that are super fun, but you have to take two lifts to get there. The funky lift layout is my biggest complaint with the place.

Comment

Working...
                                X