• Show
Clear All

• Corey Haim....Lost Boy

Corey Haim found dead. Drugs.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ab-child-star/
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Sad. I watched the Two Coreys reality show and Feldman was sure broke up about Haim. He tried to help him and help him and finally had to kick him out. BTW, Feldman's wife is ridiculously hot for him.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

Obviously CH was not a great actor, but he was associated with a very iconic 80s movie.....in style, soundtrack, and story, The Lost Boys was very well done 80s camp.

Of course, I am somewhat partial to 80s-haired Heather Graham in License to Drive...."Mercedes, I am starting to....how do you say....perspire. You know I hate to perspire...."

sigpic

Comment

That is too bad. I grew up watching these two and even tried my best to grow my hair out like Corey Feldman from "The Burb's" (Anotehr great 80's movie)..

I also watched some of the show they had "The Two Corey's", and Corey Haim seemed never able to move past the fact he was no longer a superstar, while Feldman has moved on in life..

Comment

Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
          That is too bad. I grew up watching these two and even tried my best to grow my hair out like Corey Feldman from "The Burb's" (Anotehr great 80's movie)..

I also watched some of the show they had "The Two Corey's", and Corey Haim seemed never able to move past the fact he was no longer a superstar, while Feldman has moved on in life..
          Feldman's definitely accepted his place but he's still bitter about some things. Lost Boys 2 and Goonies 2 for example.

Feldman also MC'd a D-list celebrity basketball game at my HS as a fundraiser. He came dressed in his all black garb, hat and glasses. And he was drunk off his ass. So it's nice to see him get his life together a bit. I think his wife helped ground him. Got to see Nitro from American Gladiators ball it up with my principal though.
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

This is strange. I remember thinking in the 80's that he was quite a bit younger than me and being a little annoyed by him. We were basically the same age 38 and 39. I think my memory is fading.

Comment

Obviously CH was not a great actor, but he was associated with a very iconic 80s movie.....in style, soundtrack, and story, The Lost Boys was very well done 80s camp.
              He wasn't the greatest actor, but he had his moments. I found his performance in Lucas to be fairly convincing, somewhat touching. He was clearly unable to mature from child/teen actor to more adult roles. In a sense, he was destined to this fate because he never matured emotionally either.

Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
              God forgives many things for an act of mercy
              Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                He wasn't the greatest actor, but he had his moments. I found his performance in Lucas to be fairly convincing, somewhat touching. He was clearly unable to mature from child/teen actor to more adult roles. In a sense, he was destined to this fate because he never matured emotionally either.

wow, good call. you are right, he did well in Lucas. My bad for overlooking that one.

There was a 2-3 year period when the 2 Coreys were basically Ground Zero for teen hearthtrob-ism. I think they were perennial staples on the covers of Teen Beat, Tiger Beat, et al.

When child actors pass away (almost always from drugs), I never cease to be astounded by the notion that there are those in Hollywood that readily supply young children with drugs. Boggles my mind. I think about Drew Barrymore struggling with alcohol and cigarettes....at the age of 9, then she smokes pot at 10 and is doing coke at 12. who the heck is supplying a small child with this stuff?

Considering the environment in which they are reared, I guess it is no surprise that a great majority of child actors seem to wind up maladjusted.

sigpic

Comment

wow, good call. you are right, he did well in Lucas. My bad for overlooking that one.

There was a 2-3 year period when the 2 Coreys were basically Ground Zero for teen hearthtrob-ism. I think they were perennial staples on the covers of Teen Beat, Tiger Beat, et al.

When child actors pass away (almost always from drugs), I never cease to be astounded by the notion that there are those in Hollywood that readily supply young children with drugs. Boggles my mind. I think about Drew Barrymore struggling with alcohol and cigarettes....at the age of 9, then she smokes pot at 10 and is doing coke at 12. who the heck is supplying a small child with this stuff?

Considering the environment in which they are reared, I guess it is no surprise that a great majority of child actors seem to wind up maladjusted.
                  Good question. My guess would be the parents in the cases of those hollywood actor families. But for the kids who catch a break who come from outside the scene, who knows? Agents? Other actors?

I don't know that I ever would have turned to drugs had my child acting dreams materialized. But man, I probably would have needed a full-time trainer to keep me from becoming 500 lbs. Those sets are loaded with goodies.
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

or dead It does seem that an inordinate amount of them have adjustment problems

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Lucas was one of the better teen movies to come out of the 80s. I'd rank it up there with Ferris Beuler's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, and Sixteen Candles. Haim's performance was probably enhanced by his supporting cast: Charlie Sheen, Wynona Rider, and Kerri Green, who gave perhaps the best performance of her brief career. This is definitely one of those films I'll want my kids to see as they begin middle school etc.

I too cringe at the crap that is thrown at child/teen actors. I hope it's getting better, but who knows. How parents can throw their children into such an environment is beyond me.
                      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                      Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                        Lucas was one of the better teen movies to come out of the 80s. I'd rank it up there with Ferris Beuler's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, and Sixteen Candles. Haim's performance was probably enhanced by his supporting cast: Charlie Sheen, Wynona Rider, and Kerri Green, who gave perhaps the best performance of her brief career. This is definitely one of those films I'll want my kids to see as they begin middle school etc.

I too cringe at the crap that is thrown at child/teen actors. I hope it's getting better, but who knows. How parents can throw their children into such an environment is beyond me.
                        I admit to never having seen Lucas. I need to rent it.

You know what 80's movie I loved that had an ensemble cast, The Outsiders. I loved the book and thought the movie was rad. I really liked Diane Lane as Cherry. Gidget has never seen The Outsiders. Time to rent it I think.
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

Of course, I am somewhat partial to 80s-haired Heather Graham in License to Drive...."Mercedes, I am starting to....how do you say....perspire. You know I hate to perspire...."

I saw this in the theater with Wes Wilson and Jon Lorch. I remember the soundtrack being a decent pop mix, with the Billy Ocean song (beep, beep, yeah) being fun and the Pebbles' track being full of double-meanings that had my 14-year-old brain running scenarios that would've gotten me slapped by Miss Graham.
                          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            I admit to never having seen Lucas. I need to rent it.

You know what 80's movie I loved that had an ensemble cast, The Outsiders. I loved the book and thought the movie was rad. I really liked Diane Lane as Cherry. Gidget has never seen The Outsiders. Time to rent it I think.
                            The Outsiders is a fantastic story and a great movie (better book, but great movie). That, along with Red Dawn, St Elmo's Fire, The Breakfast Club.....pound for pound, probably the most power packed ensemble casts of any movies made in the 80s. Certainly hard-pressed to find movies with more combined present and future star power. I would also give a slight nod to Krush Groove, as it featured a load of music/hip hop stars of the day.

I would also consider putting Goonies into that category of an ensemble with future star power, esp given the later success of guys like Josh Brolin and esp Joe Pantoliano and Sean Astin who was nominated (legitmately) for a Supporting Actor Oscar as a result of his work in LOTR. Martha Plimpton has bounced around doing small bit parts and Data gets credit for being Short Round in Temple of Doom. Mrs. Fratelli really only wound up doing Throw Momma From the Train, but since she also helped spawn a rock band, I will give her some cred.

Back to the point, The Outsiders...wow

Rob Lowe
                            Ralph Macchio
                            Tom Cruise
                            Patrick Swayze
                            Diane Lane
                            Matt Dillon
                            Emilio Estevez
                            C Thomas Howell

I would have to rank The Outsiders as the most potent ensemble cast of the 80s. It was my generation's American Graffiti, basically.

sigpic

Comment

The Outsiders is a fantastic story and a great movie (better book, but great movie). That, along with Red Dawn, St Elmo's Fire, The Breakfast Club.....pound for pound, probably the most power packed ensemble casts of any movies made in the 80s. Certainly hard-pressed to find movies with more combined present and future star power. I would also give a slight nod to Krush Groove, as it featured a load of music/hip hop stars of the day.

I would also consider putting Goonies into that category of an ensemble with future star power, esp given the later success of guys like Josh Brolin and esp Joe Pantoliano and Sean Astin who was nominated (legitmately) for a Supporting Actor Oscar as a result of his work in LOTR. Martha Plimpton has bounced around doing small bit parts and Data gets credit for being Short Round in Temple of Doom. Mrs. Fratelli really only wound up doing Throw Momma From the Train, but since she also helped spawn a rock band, I will give her some cred.

Back to the point, The Outsiders...wow

Rob Lowe
                              Ralph Macchio
                              Tom Cruise
                              Patrick Swayze
                              Diane Lane
                              Matt Dillon
                              Emilio Estevez
                              C Thomas Howell

I would have to rank The Outsiders as the most potent ensemble cast of the 80s. It was my generation's American Graffiti, basically.
                              I love 80's movies that are listed here.

The Outsiders was one of my Fav. with Red Dawn. I still watch both of these if I am channel surfing and even set them to record.. Breakfast Club is a close 3rd placer..

Added note: Growing up and even to this day I have people tell me I am Sean Astin's identical twin.. In high school when Rudy came out I was actually given the nickname "Rudy" because I look so much like him..

Comment

Working...
                              X