Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Exercise equipment at home

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Do you use a different tire for the trainer? Because I don't hit the road anymore, I changed my road tire to a trainer tire (it's a bright red thing) so I don't have to worry about taking it out on the road. It'd be a pain to swap out the tire each time, and very expensive to buy a second rear wheel and cassette if one didn't want to change only the tire.
    I use my regular road tires. I haven't seen a huge difference in the amount of wear when I switch back and forth. They do get squared off if I am on the trainer quite a bit, but even a short road ride and it gets rounded back off and looks as good as new.

I decided to get the Wahoo Kickr because it already had the cassette and cadense sensor. Then I went over to Tractor Supply and got a 4x6 stall mat of the type previously referred to in this thread. The trainerand a few other items fit great on the mat. Finished the whole thing off with a used 32" TV with Apple TV so I could watch my rides or watch TV while I train. Zwift is the app I chose but I'll probably try out a few others.

Everything is now calibrated and took my first ride. While I'm essentially starting from scratch I thought the ride went well and I'll continue to build up to about an hour or more per session. Really happy with this rig.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    I decided to get the Wahoo Kickr because it already had the cassette and cadense sensor. Then I went over to Tractor Supply and got a 4x6 stall mat of the type previously referred to in this thread. The trainerand a few other items fit great on the mat. Finished the whole thing off with a used 32" TV with Apple TV so I could watch my rides or watch TV while I train. Zwift is the app I chose but I'll probably try out a few others.

Everything is now calibrated and took my first ride. While I'm essentially starting from scratch I thought the ride went well and I'll continue to build up to about an hour or more per session. Really happy with this rig.
    If the first ride was at least tolerable, then you'll be just fine. It takes a little time to build up saddle stamina, but it becomes easier and more enjoyable as time goes on. And a 60-minute ride is a good workout, better I think than the same amount of time on the road since you're pedaling constantly. Congrats on getting everything together.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    If the first ride was at least tolerable, then you'll be just fine. It takes a little time to build up saddle stamina, but it becomes easier and more enjoyable as time goes on. And a 60-minute ride is a good workout, better I think than the same amount of time on the road since you're pedaling constantly. Congrats on getting everything together.
    My butt was used to the saddle when I was spinning a month or so ago. I'm not looking forward to reacclimating.

Thats a nice set up. Is it indoor, or in the garage? My trainer is in the garage, which is fine for about 8 months of the year here, but it can be intolerably hot out there in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    Thats a nice set up. Is it indoor, or in the garage? My trainer is in the garage, which is fine for about 8 months of the year here, but it can be intolerably hot out there in the summer.
    In the garage. Iíll move it inside for winter. Thereís a tv now mounted to the wall directly in front of the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice. I love zwift. I use it about twice a week this time of year. Adds a ton of purpose to my workouts and makes a 30-45 minute ride fly by.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    In the garage. Iíll move it inside for winter. Thereís a tv now mounted to the wall directly in front of the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I need something like that for the winter months. How much for the trainer & zwift?

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I need something like that for the winter months. How much for the trainer & zwift?
    That trainer is Wahoo Kickr and they run $1200. It comes with the cassette and the cadence sensor. I paid a few hundred less. They make another called the Kickr Core that is a few hundred less and does all the same stuff except you have to buy the cassette and cadence sensor. This can actually be an advantage because you can match the cassette to the one on your bike. PAC has a Wahoo that is significantly less but you keep the rear wheel on your bike. You can also find a used trainer and buy the sensors for it and your bike and use it with Zwift.

I just went for it with the Kickr because I already know I like this form of training and wanted to maximize my experience. My knees feel a lot better when I spin.