Exercise equipment at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
    My wife got me a simple home gym from Costco for my birthday a few months ago. I was super lucky that that worked out so that I can work out.
    fify
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I put a 7 pound weight, wrapped in a blanket, secured with twine, stuffed in a pillowcase, and use that as my resistance tool for exercise. I can even swing it like a golf club to maintain that lateral movement.

Just stuff laying around the house. Better than nothing.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
        You guys who took the plunge on getting a home gym are probably feeling pretty good about the decision these days.
        The fitness equipment section at my Walmart looks just like toilet paper aisle.

The one good thing is that when this is all over there will be some deals on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc. for lightly used home gym equipment.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
          laying down tractor supply stall mats today (concrete floor). otherwise this has been a total game changer. nobody waiting for me on a rack + no travel time means i don't feel rushed and can get through all of my warm up sets properly.
          Those are kind of a bitch to move aren't they? I just folded them over and carried them. Having a large wingspan helped. Also, grateful for a walkout basement. I have seen folks use locking pliers and drag them. I am also fortunate my TSC stores these outdoors with their nursery and gardening items. That helped with the rubber smell quite a bit in my basement.
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            Those are kind of a bitch to move aren't they? I just folded them over and carried them. Having a large wingspan helped. Also, grateful for a walkout basement. I have seen folks use locking pliers and drag them. I am also fortunate my TSC stores these outdoors with their nursery and gardening items. That helped with the rubber smell quite a bit in my basement.
            yeah they’re heavy and awkward. they’re definitely never coming out of this basement in one piece.
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I'm debating getting a Wahoo Kickr Core to use with Zwift or just getting a Peloton. It seems like the hardcore cyclists that are in my spin class all have a Zwift setup but some have picked up a Peloton and like it better. It seems like the cyclist disdain for the Peloton is diminishing as it gets a user base.

Thoughts anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                I'm debating getting a Wahoo Kickr Core to use with Zwift or just getting a Peloton. It seems like the hardcore cyclists that are in my spin class all have a Zwift setup but some have picked up a Peloton and like it better. It seems like the cyclist disdain for the Peloton is diminishing as it gets a user base.

Thoughts anyone?
                I already get nickel and dimed by every other subscription service. I am good with my Schwinn Spin bike and YouTube. I bought a cheap mount for a tablet or phone and just pick a class. There are several to choose from and all free. But I get the appeal of Peloton and have heard great things from people that use them.
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

The fitness equipment section at my Walmart looks just like toilet paper aisle.

The one good thing is that when this is all over there will be some deals on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc. for lightly used home gym equipment.
                  That's for sure true.

I actually sold some things last week that I wasn't using anymore (mostly LB denominated weight), but it was to a buddy so I sold it using pre-virus/non-panic prices.

Comment

Thoughts anyone?
                    I can't speak to the Peloton option, although I'd be put off by the initial cost and ongoing subscription. I have the Kickr Snap, which I like because it accommodates the bike I had long become accustomed to. Despite my dislike of subscriptions, I subscribe to two services, Zwift and Fulgaz. Fulgaz uses actual video of rides from throughout the world (I rode for an hour this morning in northern Maryland), but you can't ride with others. Zwift, as you know, is a virtual ride experience but you can ride with others. I occasionally meet up with my daughter in Colorado and we can take turns drafting each other in Central Park, downtown London, or the mythical world of Watopia while chatting it up occasionally as we're riding along.

My approach allows for more riding and viewing options than a Peloton. I set up a music stand in from of my handlebars and have two screens, one that's streaming the Fulgaz or Zwift route, the other streaming Netflix or Amazon Prime. I only ride twice a week or so (hiking, running or weights the other days), but it's a fun alternative. Plus, if I ever fall I have the comfort of a padded carpet to stop me rather than asphalt...

I doubt I'll ever ride outdoors again, but this is an enjoyable alternative,

Comment

Thanks PAC. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

tractor supply had them outside, and i left them outside for another week and my whole basement still smells like shit. it's almost worth paying 2-3x to avoid this.
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                          tractor supply had them outside, and i left them outside for another week and my whole basement still smells like shit. it's almost worth paying 2-3x to avoid this.
                          It does go away. Mine wasn't terrible to begin with. Also I only bought 4 new from TSC. I got 6 others from a guy getting out of the Navy and moving to Alabama. I bought his entire garage gym for $400. Sold everything but the 340lbs of bumper plates and the mats and made money on it.
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

Thoughts anyone?
                            My set up is similar to PACs, but I use a Kinetic Road Machine trainer. I've never used a peleton, but I'm very happy with my trainer. I've had it for probably 5-6 years now. The only nuisance is having to spend the 20 seconds or so to take it off the trainer when I want to go for an outdoor ride.

I bought the add-on transmitter this last year which syncs with Zwift. Works perfectly, and it only cost about $30 extra.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                              My set up is similar to PACs, but I use a Kinetic Road Machine trainer. I've never used a peleton, but I'm very happy with my trainer. I've had it for probably 5-6 years now. The only nuisance is having to spend the 20 seconds or so to take it off the trainer when I want to go for an outdoor ride.

I bought the add-on transmitter this last year which syncs with Zwift. Works perfectly, and it only cost about $30 extra.
                              Do you use a different tire for the trainer? Because I don't hit the road anymore, I changed my road tire to a trainer tire (it's a bright red thing) so I don't have to worry about taking it out on the road. It'd be a pain to swap out the tire each time, and very expensive to buy a second rear wheel and cassette if one didn't want to change only the tire.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                Do you use a different tire for the trainer? Because I don't hit the road anymore, I changed my road tire to a trainer tire (it's a bright red thing) so I don't have to worry about taking it out on the road. It'd be a pain to swap out the tire each time, and very expensive to buy a second rear wheel and cassette if one didn't want to change only the tire.
                                I use my regular road tires. I haven't seen a huge difference in the amount of wear when I switch back and forth. They do get squared off if I am on the trainer quite a bit, but even a short road ride and it gets rounded back off and looks as good as new.

Comment

Working...
                                X