Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pie Fest 2008

That's a great looking pie. I, too, love pecan pie and there are some bakeries in Houston that make a fabulous pecan pie.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Our ward has been having linger longer pot lucks on Fast Sunday after church. We are the last ward in the building (1-3pm slot) so it works out well.

In Ward Council a couple months back, I proposed that, in addition to a linger longer, we do a Pie Fest on the Sunday before TG. My bishop is awesome and rubber stamped the idea on the spot. So our first ward Pie Fest is tomorrow at 3pm. We are even having secret ballot voting for best pie in 3 categories: Apple, Pumpkin, and Pecan. Here’s my entry for tomorrow:

I wish I’d hit the leaves with a little egg wash to help them brown, but otherwise I’m pleased with how it came out.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Our ward has been having linger longer pot lucks on Fast Sunday after church. We are the last ward in the building (1-3pm slot) so it works out well.

In Ward Council a couple months back, I proposed that, in addition to a linger longer, we do a Pie Fest on the Sunday before TG. My bishop is awesome and rubber stamped the idea on the spot. So our first ward Pie Fest is tomorrow at 3pm. We are even having secret ballot voting for best pie in 3 categories: Apple, Pumpkin, and Pecan. Here’s my entry for tomorrow:

I wish I’d hit the leaves with a little egg wash to help them brown, but otherwise I’m pleased with how it came out.
    I would eat the crap out of that.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Wow. Well done.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    I would eat the crap out of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Wow. Well done.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Donuthole I also really like pecan pie and coconut cream pie. Assuming neither of us ever change thats something we'll always share and have in common.

I just saw this post for the first time. But 4 years later and nothing has changed about my love for pecan pie and coconut cream pie. Are we still brothers in this?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

What's your go-to brand of vanilla ice cream to accompany the Pecan Pie?

You've been known to have opinions.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    What's your go-to brand of vanilla ice cream to accompany the Pecan Pie?

You've been known to have opinions.
    Ever since Blue Bell shut down here locally, ice cream has been a mixed bag for us. I think Schwann’s is as good as anything available here, but it’s not available everywhere.

Ever since Blue Bell shut down here locally, ice cream has been a mixed bag for us. I think Schwann’s is as good as anything available here, but it’s not available everywhere.
    Tillamook.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

That looks delicious. Pecan and coconut cream are my two favorite pies also. I would have voted for your pie.

We had pies for our munch & mingle. The pecan pie was store bought.

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Tillamook.
    Meh. It’s just ok. Definitely not up with BB.

Quote Originally Posted by Soccermom View Post
    That looks delicious. Pecan and coconut cream are my two favorite pies also. I would have voted for your pie.
    Thanks! I took the blue ribbon in the pecan category.

I made 9 pies today. The crusts, while tasty and flaky, weren't rolled out even enough and slumped too much when I blind baked half the pies. Maybe next year I'll get the hang of it.
    Last edited by SCcoug; 11-27-2019 at 07:52 PM.

I'm not the pie maker in the family, rather to candy maker. I've started the Caramel making - 3 batches today with a gazillion more over the holidays.
    Last edited by happyone; 11-27-2019 at 09:44 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Quote Originally Posted by happyone View Post
    I'm not the pie maker in the family, rather to candy maker. I've started the Caramel making - 3 batches today with a gazillion more over the holidays.
    What, pray tell, is your recipe?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Meh. It’s just ok. Definitely not up with BB.

Thanks! I took the blue ribbon in the pecan category.
    Sweet, congrats! I made my pecan pie last night but my daughters are of the age that they want to make pies too, so they made the coconut cream, banana cream, and berry pie this year. It is weird only having baked one pie. I usually do them all lol.

Pie responsibilities were distributed amongst families for today’s dinner. We are doing pumpkin- one standard and one creamy. Served with whipped cream (duh) and poached cranberries. Others are bringing Apple, pecan, sour cream lemon, and chocolate cream.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Pie responsibilities were distributed amongst families for today’s dinner. We are doing pumpkin- one standard and one creamy. Served with whipped cream (duh) and poached cranberries. Others are bringing Apple, pecan, sour cream lemon, and chocolate cream.
    The missus makes the creamy pumpkin pies every year. They're tasty. She also does a cream cheese pie and for me, an apple crisp.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    What, pray tell, is your recipe?
    Here you go

Grandma Pat’s caramels

Ingredients

1 cup light corn syrup – Mom always preferred Karo
    2 cups table sugar
    3 cups whipping or heavy cream
    ¼ cup butter (half a stick)
    ½ tsp salt
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans) optional

Combine sugar, corn syrup and 1 cup cream in a heavy 3 qt sauce pan stirring ‘til dissolved. Heat the mixture on medium to 246F (236F at 5000 ft) or the firm ball stage, stirring constantly. Slowly add 1 cup cream and bring mixture back up 246F or firm ball stage, stirring constantly. Add final cup of cream, butter and salt and bring the mixture back up 246F or firm ball stage, stirring constantly. Take mixture off heat and add vanilla and nuts. Mix thoroughly and pour mixture into a buttered 9x13 inch pan. Allow to cool then cut into bite sized pieces and wrap in wax paper.

On medium low heat (4 on my stove) it takes about 1 ¾ hrs to make a batch.

The recipe may be doubled

Caramels will last 6 to 8 weeks before starting to crystalize.

Hints

Be sure and calibrate your thermometer. The firm ball stage varies by altitude. This can be done by putting the thermometer in a pan of boiling water. Subtract the boiling temp from 212 and use that figure to adjust the temps in the recipe

I.E
    If your thermometer reads 204 for the boiling point of water, subtract 8 degrees from 246 and cook the caramels to 238F

The lower stove heat setting, the better the flavor – if you have the time cook over medium low

I personally don’t quite cook to firm ball stage. I cook the first two cups of cream to 234 and the last cup to 236. This makes for extremely soft caramels

If you over cook the caramels they are still edible, but will become a hockey puck

Metal pans release the caramel easier than glass no matter how well the glass pan is buttered

Use a wooden spoon for stirring – don’t know why, that’s what Mom always said

DO NOT substitute margarine for the butter or canned milk/half-n-half for the cream
    Last edited by happyone; 11-28-2019 at 01:25 PM.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Wife made Key Lime for

Quote Originally Posted by happyone View Post
    Here you go

Grandma Pat’s caramels

Ingredients

1 cup light corn syrup – Mom always preferred Karo
    2 cups table sugar
    3 cups whipping or heavy cream
    ¼ cup butter (half a stick)
    ½ tsp salt
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans) optional

Combine sugar, corn syrup and 1 cup cream in a heavy 3 qt sauce pan stirring ‘til dissolved. Heat the mixture on medium to 246F (236F at 5000 ft) or the firm ball stage, stirring constantly. Slowly add 1 cup cream and bring mixture back up 246F or firm ball stage, stirring constantly. Add final cup of cream, butter and salt and bring the mixture back up 246F or firm ball stage, stirring constantly. Take mixture off heat and add vanilla and nuts. Mix thoroughly and pour mixture into a buttered 9x13 inch pan. Allow to cool then cut into bite sized pieces and wrap in wax paper.

On medium low heat (4 on my stove) it takes about 1 ¾ hrs to make a batch.

The recipe may be doubled

Caramels will last 6 to 8 weeks before starting to crystalize.

Hints

Be sure and calibrate your thermometer. The firm ball stage varies by altitude. This can be done by putting the thermometer in a pan of boiling water. Subtract the boiling temp from 212 and use that figure to adjust the temps in the recipe

I.E
    If your thermometer reads 204 for the boiling point of water, subtract 8 degrees from 246 and cook the caramels to 238F

The lower stove heat setting, the better the flavor – if you have the time cook over medium low

I personally don’t quite cook to firm ball stage. I cook the first two cups of cream to 234 and the last cup to 236. This makes for extremely soft caramels

If you over cook the caramels they are still edible, but will become a hockey puck

Metal pans release the caramel easier than glass no matter how well the glass pan is buttered

Use a wooden spoon for stirring – don’t know why, that’s what Mom always said

DO NOT substitute margarine for the butter or canned milk/half-n-half for the cream
    Any reason not to line the pan with parchment and just pull that out of the pan to cut the caramels after they're cooled?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Any reason not to line the pan with parchment and just pull that out of the pan to cut the caramels after they're cooled?
    I've never tried. Can't think of one.

Mrs Happy and the girls have baked 2 Lemon Meringue pies, a gluten free pumpkin as well as a normal pumpkin and a apple pie. There will be about 40 people at my Dad's this afternoon for dinner.
    Last edited by happyone; 11-28-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Whoa. These pies look great.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Wife made Key Lime for
    That looks really good. I love key lime pie.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."