LDS Women: 58% Admit Premarital Sex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creekster View Post
    who, exactly, is claiming they are bothered here?
    Good question.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
      1. You pretending that no Mormons would be bothered by this is one evidence.
      Where did I say that? And what do you mean bothered by it? Bothered in the sense that the number is high? Sure, I can see that being true. Bothered by the fact that it somehow suggests that members of the churhc are inherently hypocritical or that the church is untrue? I dont see that at all. So what do you mean? You drop in and say 'LDS are bothered'" by this. What 'bother' are you talking about then?

2. There was a post on CB about this where many seemed to be upset. Was it deleted or am I not able to find it again?
      Can't help you. I never read CB.

3. Some here are doing everything possible to dismiss the statistics or look for ways to explain it away.
      Who si doing that? Pointing out the data is 20 years old and asking about definitions is being dismissive?

4. I haven't read the comments at the Trib site, but I bet you dollars to donuts, a lot of active LDS are up in arms over the article.
      Up in arms? meaning what? I still cant even figure out why it was re-printed. you could be right, i suppose. Maybe you shoudl look and see.

5. I live and work in a community that is 95% LDS. I'm pretty sure I have a good handle on LDS culture, and I promise people would be upset by a study like this.
      I go to a ward every week and I have a good handle on our culture and I promise htat no one would be too worked up about it except as to seeing if we could do better with our youth.

6. I've heard references to this same study before. The rumor I heard was that the brethren were very concerned about this study and attributed it to a heavy focus on missionary prep for YM without a similar focus for YW and that is the time they started putting major focus on YW Excellence program.
      Is this what you mean by being upset about it? that seems like a perfectly rational reaction to me. If you believe chastity is a core value of the religion (and apparently you might not) then this study would cause you to examine what you could do to more effectiovely instill that value.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
        Oh brother! Do you think anyone is buying that?
        I am not sure brother, what is it that you think I am trying to sell?
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
          What I find more shocking and believable is that 47% of LDS women reported no sex after marriage.
          How come nobody laughed at this?

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
            How come nobody laughed at this?
            Because it strikes too close to home?

Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

I think some of us are bothered we never found those 58%.

Comment

I'm curious if they repeated the survey today whether the number would go up or down. I'd bet money the number has decreased in spite of increased activity.

Comment

Here, meaning here on this board, I doubt many are bothered. However, on a campus like BYU or in some very conservative wards, I think bothered is an appropriate word. For instance, BYU and those in the church culturally they represent are taken back by anything that doesn't indicate the body of the church has higher values than the rest of the world. Not only higher, but higher by a long shot.

I think it would be well if in the future studies referred to "active LDS". Those that get bothered wouldn't be so bothered and also it might help them not to point to others who aren't so active and say, "you are embarassing the church".

Comment

Where did I say that? And what do you mean bothered by it? Bothered in the sense that the number is high? Sure, I can see that being true. Bothered by the fact that it somehow suggests that members of the churhc are inherently hypocritical or that the church is untrue? I dont see that at all. So what do you mean? You drop in and say 'LDS are bothered'" by this. What 'bother' are you talking about then?

Can't help you. I never read CB.

Who si doing that? Pointing out the data is 20 years old and asking about definitions is being dismissive?

Up in arms? meaning what? I still cant even figure out why it was re-printed. you could be right, i suppose. Maybe you shoudl look and see.

I go to a ward every week and I have a good handle on our culture and I promise htat no one would be too worked up about it except as to seeing if we could do better with our youth.

Is this what you mean by being upset about it? that seems like a perfectly rational reaction to me. If you believe chastity is a core value of the religion (and apparently you might not) then this study would cause you to examine what you could do to more effectiovely instill that value.
                    Peace, bro. I think you're betraying yourself with the energy level you have about the issue. The average LDS would definitely be bothered by this article. Bothered that our assumption that our behavior is much better than average might not be true, and the various ramifications if we have to tweak that assumption.

Comment

Peace, bro. I think you're betraying yourself with the energy level you have about the issue.
                      It does seem to belie the "nobody's bothered" line, doesn't it?

Comment

Peace, bro. I think you're betraying yourself with the energy level you have about the issue. The average LDS would definitely be bothered by this article. Bothered that our assumption that our behavior is much better than average might not be true, and the various ramifications if we have to tweak that assumption.
                        Betraying myself? I htink I have been pretty open about my thoughts here. I assure you, I have no belief or assumption that LDS behavior is better than anyone else's. I really dont see that as a nevessary or sufficient criteria for definign the truth.

At your suggestion I went and looked at the comments. Nothing too interesting, to be hoinest, but there was one from the SLTrib saying this:

This story is from 1991 and was republished to the site because it relates to an upcoming story that will run in the next few days. They will eventually be linked together.
                        so we that to look forward to.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I think Creekster is much more "bothered" by the delivery than the message itself. At least that's what bothered me initially.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                            It does seem to belie the "nobody's bothered" line, doesn't it?
                            who said THAT?

geez, you guys are very good at arguning wiht comments that no one makes.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              I think Creekster is much more "bothered" by the delivery than the message itself. At least that's what bothered me initially.
                              Yes, it's a messenger issue.
                              Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                                Indeed. I thought that was pretty clear too.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X