Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 89

Thread: LDS Women: 58% Admit Premarital Sex

  1. #1

    Default LDS Women: 58% Admit Premarital Sex

    This is from a SL Trib article published almost 20 years ago:
    Fifty-eight percent of Mormon women admit to having sexual intercourse before marriage. And fewer than 70 percent of Mormon marriages are intact after 10 years - the lowest percentage among whites citing religious affiliation.

    These were some of the findings presented by two Brigham Young University sociologists at the 13th Annual Sunstone Symposium on Thursday.

    Fourteen percent of LDS teens say they have smoked a cigarette in the last month.

    Mormons have been slowly accommodating their behavior to the norms of the surrounding culture, yet these changes have scarcely been recognized by the LDS leadership, who still require premarital chastity.

    "No doubt, dramatic changes in sexual norms have . . . created a generation gap between leaders and the youth," said Tim Heaton, one of the sociologists who analyzed the sexual behavior and marital trends among Mormon women.

    "These trends coupled with some reluctance to discuss sexual issues openly could lead to an increasing discrepancy between official codes of conduct and actual behavior."

    Mr. Heaton looked at three national studies that examined women's behavior on the issues of sex, marriage and children. He then compared and analyzed Mormon women's behavior with other religious traditions and denominations.

    These studies show that while premarital sexual behavior among Mormon women is increasing, it is still below the national norm.

    Moreover, the percentage of LDS cohabitation is almost half the national number - 12 percent - and not increasing. Mr. Heaton speculated that this might be because cohabitation is a public flouting of church standards.

    Other findings from Mr. Heaton's statistics include:

    The median age of LDS women at the time of marriage is 20.6 years, younger than all other groups except Baptists and fundamentalist Protestants.

    More Mormon women are married than the national average, 69 percent to 52 percent, respectively.

    The median age of first birth was 22, much younger than most other religious groups

    Seven percent of Mormon women give birth before marriage.

    The number of LDS marriages intact after 10 years is a significant, said Mr. Heaton. Most people assume the reason is because Mormons marry young or have too high expectations. However, according to Mr. Heaton, those Mormons who marry at an older age - defined as any time after 23 - are much more likely to divorce.

    Mr. Heaton speculates that this is because there is a great deal of pressure on "older" Mormon singles to marry and they might not make good choices.

    Stephen Bahr, also a BYU sociologist, looked at drug use among Mormon and other religious teens. His data were drawn from the 1984-87 Monitoring the Future Surveys, an annual study of 16,000 graduating high school seniors.

    Mr. Bahr concluded that Mormon teens have a lower incidence of alcohol, tobacco and marijuana use when compared with other religious teens. But Mormons are similar to all the other religious traditions in their use of amphetamines and cocaine.

    Then Mr. Bahr re-evaluated the statistics and discovered that those who are "active" in their religion have much lower drug use.

    When asked why he only used women in his study of sexual behavior, Mr. Heaton replied that women are more truthful in reporting sexual data than men.

    The symposium, that concludes Saturday night at the University Park Hotel, is expected to draw 1,500 people. Sunstone Symposium was created as a forum to explore social, political and theological issues facing Mormons.
    http://www.sltrib.com/Utah%20Local%2...ts/ci_14492575
    Last edited by scottie; 03-02-2010 at 08:12 AM.

  2. #2
    Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,784

    Default

    If I was to have guessed, based solely upon my small and very limited ancedotal knowledge, I would have guessed 33% for girls and 40% for boys. What I have found interesting in this area, is much fewer LDS kids experiment with alcohol than most of the Mormons I knew in HS and pre-mission (when they would still brag about those things) 25 years ago.

    EDIT: My numbers were for both active and semi-active kids. If we are talking active kids only it would be 15-20% for both boys and girls, at least at graduation when I usually send them off on missions, to college, or the singles ward.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 03-02-2010 at 08:45 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    18,817

    Default

    Mr Bahr did a re-evaluation and found that "active" members are less likely to be involved in drug use. Shocking, since if you use drugs, by definition you aren't active.

    I would guess that "active" members also are less likely to engage in premarital sex, alchohol use, tobacco use and cheering for the Utes.

  4. #4
    RIP CUF DU Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Holladay
    Posts
    7,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    Mr Bahr did a re-evaluation and found that "active" members are less likely to be involved in drug use. Shocking, since if you use drugs, by definition you aren't active.

    I would guess that "active" members also are less likely to engage in premarital sex, alchohol use, tobacco use and cheering for the Utes.
    If you cheer for the Utes, by definition you aren't active.
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

  5. #5
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    18,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DU Ute View Post
    If you cheer for the Utes, by definition you aren't active.
    It's rivalry half a week.

  6. #6
    RIP CUF DU Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Holladay
    Posts
    7,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    It's rivalry half a week.
    BYU fans like you are what's wrong with the rivalry, the Church and the Republican Party.
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

  7. #7
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    18,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DU Ute View Post
    BYU fans like you are what's wrong with the rivalry, the Church and the Republican Party.
    OUCH!!

  8. #8
    RIP CUF DU Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Holladay
    Posts
    7,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    OUCH!!
    I will probably feel bad about saying that Thursday morning, but not today!
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

  9. #9
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    19,873

    Default

    Can I be my usual jerk self and ask what the point is of posting a 20 year old article today?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

  10. #10
    Heartless Bastard Indy Coug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Living Large inside the 5th Circle
    Posts
    18,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Can I be my usual jerk self and ask what the point is of posting a 20 year old article today?
    Exactly. At the bare minimum the article should have provided updated statistics to compare against or tried to provide some additional material to make it relevant for 2010 rather than being some lazy ass regurgitation.

  11. #11
    Senior Member dabrockster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    7,309

    Default

    I am curious to know more about the polling. If it was Utah only or nationally..

    I would like to see the data verse places full of mormons vs those with very little..

    Added note: Didn't realize the data was so old. I would also request an update of data..
    Last edited by dabrockster; 03-02-2010 at 09:24 AM.

  12. #12
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    53,600

    Default

    What good is this article now? Where was it when I was an unmarried undergrad at BYU?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    Heaton is a family friend.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Can I be my usual jerk self and ask what the point is of posting a 20 year old article today?
    I think you're talking to the SL Trib rather than me, but just in case -- the SL Trib posted it today. I assume articles that old aren't available online (for free anyway), so I enjoy these blasts from the past.

  15. #15
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    6,864

    Default

    What I find more shocking and believable is that 47% of LDS women reported no sex after marriage.

  16. #16
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    19,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    I think you're talking to the SL Trib rather than me, but just in case -- the SL Trib posted it today. I assume articles that old aren't available online (for free anyway), so I enjoy these blasts from the past.
    I mis-read your original message then. I thought that you had culled this 20 year old article from the Trib's archives and then posted it.

    Still, why would the Trib post this now? Are they only now getting around to what Sunstone's been saying for 20 years?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

  17. #17
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    15,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    I think you're talking to the SL Trib rather than me, but just in case -- the SL Trib posted it today. I assume articles that old aren't available online (for free anyway), so I enjoy these blasts from the past.
    Don't be so coy Scottie. The article was published on the web site, apparently, today. But going to your link doesn't tell me why they published it today or even what pertinence it might have, if any, today. Moreover, assuming you don't see yourself as some sort of CUF newsbot, I would like to know why YOU chose to post this today. What is it you think is important about this article?

    Quite frankly, that a significant percentage of people who associate with the LDS church have pre-marital sex is not too earthshaking, at least to me. So what's YOUR point?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Don't be so coy Scottie. The article was published on the web site, apparently, today. But going to your link doesn't tell me why they published it today or even what pertinence it might have, if any, today. Moreover, assuming you don't see yourself as some sort of CUF newsbot, I would like to know why YOU chose to post this today. What is it you think is important about this article?

    Quite frankly, that a significant percentage of people who associate with the LDS church have pre-marital sex is not too earthshaking, at least to me. So what's YOUR point?
    I have no idea why they chose to publish it today or what pertinence it has. I found the stats interesting, and I'm not here to tell you or anyone what is interesting. I suggest you put me on ignore.

  19. #19
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    15,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    I have no idea why they chose to publish it today or what pertinence it has. I found the stats interesting, and I'm not here to tell you or anyone what is interesting. I suggest you put me on ignore.
    So you DO see yourself as a sort of newsbot. Nothing wrong with that, I suppose, but you shouldnt be so touchy if I or someone else asks you about your posting style. I look forward to the time someone publishes something even tangentially positive about the churhc so that you can link it for us.

    I don't ignore anyone, btw. At least not in a technological sense.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    So you DO see yourself as a sort of newsbot. Nothing wrong with that, I suppose, but you shouldnt be so touchy if I or someone else asks you about your posting style. I look forward to the time someone publishes something even tangentially positive about the churhc so that you can link it for us.

    I don't ignore anyone, btw. At least not in a technological sense.
    I guess my question for you then is -- what did you hope to glean by asking me about my posting style? Is there something wrong with my style that you would need to call it out? Right back at you about being "touchy" -- don't assume that every and anything I post about the church is negative; case in point, how is the article I posted above negative about the church? Obviously the Mormon church isn't immune to premarital sex, but maybe 58% surprises some? Were you thinking I was posting the 58% as a neener-neener at the Mormon church or something?

  21. #21
    RIP CUF DU Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Holladay
    Posts
    7,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    I guess my question for you then is -- what did you hope to glean by asking me about my posting style? Is there something wrong with my style that you would need to call it out? Right back at you about being "touchy" -- don't assume that every and anything I post about the church is negative; case in point, how is the article I posted above negative about the church? Obviously the Mormon church isn't immune to premarital sex, but maybe 58% surprises some? Were you thinking I was posting the 58% as a neener-neener at the Mormon church or something?
    I don't know how anyone could think such a thing.

    I wonder what the survey defined as premarital sex, or if it was defined at all.
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

  22. #22
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    15,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    I guess my question for you then is -- what did you hope to glean by asking me about my posting style? Is there something wrong with my style that you would need to call it out? Right back at you about being "touchy" -- don't assume that every and anything I post about the church is negative; case in point, how is the article I posted above negative about the church? Obviously the Mormon church isn't immune to premarital sex, but maybe 58% surprises some? Were you thinking I was posting the 58% as a neener-neener at the Mormon church or something?


    That's is exactly my question; why did you post it? We can all read the paper. I would prefer to hear what YOU think. You assume I am calling you out? What does that even mean here? Go back and read my questions; if you think that is being 'called out' then I think you are a little overly sensitive (or maybe you even feel guilty?). I would think that SU's favorite poster's self-confidence would be a little more robust.

    Here's the thing: I know you have an agenda, we all do. I would like to know what yours is. It's clear you are focused on LDS issues. You link many articles. Which ones do you think were positive? I don't recall any but I am certainly not a 'student' of your or anyone else's posts. So you think the 58%figure is a positive thing? Or is it a negative thing? Or is it a waste of space and who really cares thing? What is the point in your mind? You said you aren't here to tell anyone else what to think and that is certainly true. Lord knows the egos around here wouldn't allow it. But I, for one, am much more interested in hearing what YOU think that I am in having just a news service.

    That being said, and to be fair, you have started some very interesting threads and while I might not go as far as SU in praising your approach, I do appreciate your contributions. Even so, I would appreciate hearing more from you.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  23. #23

    Default

    The reason this bothers LDS so much is that we the assumption that superior sexual morality should be a characteristic of God's true followers. I don't buy this assumption. I don't think it's a Bible doctrine.

    What separates God's followers is a profession of belief in God and repenting for sins.

  24. #24
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    15,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    The reason this bothers LDS so much is that we the assumption that superior sexual morality should be a characteristic of God's true followers. I don't buy this assumption. I don't think it's a Bible doctrine.

    What separates God's followers is a profession of belief in God and repenting for sins.
    who, exactly, is claiming they are bothered here?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    who, exactly, is claiming they are bothered here?
    1. You pretending that no Mormons would be bothered by this is one evidence.

    2. There was a post on CB about this where many seemed to be upset. Was it deleted or am I not able to find it again?

    3. Some here are doing everything possible to dismiss the statistics or look for ways to explain it away.

    4. I haven't read the comments at the Trib site, but I bet you dollars to donuts, a lot of active LDS are up in arms over the article.

    5. I live and work in a community that is 95% LDS. I'm pretty sure I have a good handle on LDS culture, and I promise people would be upset by a study like this.

    6. I've heard references to this same study before. The rumor I heard was that the brethren were very concerned about this study and attributed it to a heavy focus on missionary prep for YM without a similar focus for YW and that is the time they started putting major focus on YW Excellence program.

  26. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    That's is exactly my question; why did you post it? We can all read the paper. I would prefer to hear what YOU think. You assume I am calling you out? What does that even mean here? Go back and read my questions; if you think that is being 'called out' then I think you are a little overly sensitive (or maybe you even feel guilty?). I would think that SU's favorite poster's self-confidence would be a little more robust.

    Here's the thing: I know you have an agenda, we all do. I would like to know what yours is. It's clear you are focused on LDS issues. You link many articles. Which ones do you think were positive? I don't recall any but I am certainly not a 'student' of your or anyone else's posts. So you think the 58%figure is a positive thing? Or is it a negative thing? Or is it a waste of space and who really cares thing? What is the point in your mind? You said you aren't here to tell anyone else what to think and that is certainly true. Lord knows the egos around here wouldn't allow it. But I, for one, am much more interested in hearing what YOU think that I am in having just a news service.

    That being said, and to be fair, you have started some very interesting threads and while I might not go as far as SU in praising your approach, I do appreciate your contributions. Even so, I would appreciate hearing more from you.
    I appreciate you wanting to know what I think, and when I have strong opinions on what I'm posting, I will add more thought. By "calling out" I mean you're getting after me for only being a newsbot (no?), but I see nothing wrong with being a newsbot as long the articles are interesting to me.

  27. #27
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    18,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DU Ute View Post
    I wonder what the survey defined as premarital sex, or if it was defined at all.
    Now that is a good question. Knowing our culture where many define the SI swimsuit edition as porn, it wouldn't surprise me if many young ladies in the church thought premarital sex included masturbation and French Kissing.

    Oh, it does. Nevermind.

  28. #28
    Senior Member Goatnapper'96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    God's Country!
    Posts
    8,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    who, exactly, is claiming they are bothered here?
    Dammit, I am! I went to my consummation nite knowing very little about the horizontal rumba, and by golly statistically speaking I could have been a virtual Don Juan and made all the high school graduation requirements of SVHS 1990 quite happy without any negative reprucussions to my standing in the Mormon Church. Despite this fact, my egotistical youth leaders had spent hours upon hours forcing me in front of bright lights, waterboarded me and filled my ecclesiastical hours with torture and brainwashing me into thinking touching a woman's breast was evil and that if I changed my own oil, I would develop hairy palms and the word would get out.

    Yet it was all just to control my mind. I coulda nailed half my class, and there were over 800 in my graduating class so there was a virtual cornicopia of easy uhh uhhhh uhhh ladies. Not to mention all the sluts just over the hill in the Conejo Valley!

    Ya I am pissed. Once again my life was ruined by the mormon church! Further building upon the arguments of my liberal friends, you all are persecuted due to my persecution because you are forced to read my mindless blather about fake knockers!

    Indeed, had I just been able to tap it a few times and put myself in the majority all would have been well.......
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I have visited Europe 3 times. Nice place to visit with the exception of France in 1965. What I really liked about Europe is how old it seemed. Very layback and non competitive. I felt in any kind of confrontation I would have the upper hand. Especially in France where the men lay their heads on the women's shoulders instead of vice versa.
    -byu'71

  29. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    who, exactly, is claiming they are bothered here?
    Oh brother! Do you think anyone is buying that?

  30. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    Now that is a good question. Knowing our culture where many define the SI swimsuit edition as porn, it wouldn't surprise me if many young ladies in the church thought premarital sex included masturbation and French Kissing.
    Oh, it does. Nevermind.
    The survey was done 20 years ago and who knows what many of the women being surveyed thought. Then again, the survey could be done today and many girls/women could have the same ideas.

    This whole thread also made me think of the episode of the office where Andy is making the assumption that is fiance, Angela, is a virgin. Doubtless there have been quite a few mormon guys get married with the same assumption and they don't know any better even after marriage given their own lack of experience.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •