Addictive quality of the chile fruit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addictive quality of the chile fruit

My son got married this weekend, so we have had extended family visiting for the past few days. Naturally, and at their request, we have been taking them to several of the very good New Mexican restaurants in town for green chile in various dishes. Two points of discussion have come up in this context. The first is whether or not green chile is addictive. Certainly it is not physically addictive, but it is proven that the capsacin in the chile produces endorphins, which is probably one of the reasons it grows on you. Enchiladas, burritos, etc without green chile (and its mature version, red chile) just are not as good without the real deal. Cheeseburgers without green chile are pedestrian.
    The second discussion was a query as to why chile grown outside of New Mexico is not as tasty (even though chiles such as jalapenos can be much hotter, but not nearly as flavorful as a Hatch green chile). I can only conclude that it is like the French concept of terroir when manufacturing wine. It's all about the land. For some reason, New Mexico chiles are a cut above. In any event, it has been great to overdose on chile this weekend.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

chile, limon y sal on fruit sure is addictive.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
      chile, limon y sal on fruit sure is addictive.
      and on pepino! yum.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Mi pepino es mas grande q' el tuyo.
        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
          Mi pepino es mas grande q' el tuyo.
          El pepino no es tan importante como el chile ancho.
          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Congratulations on the nuptials.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
              Congratulations on the nuptials.
              Thanks. With ten grandchildren having just left the house, it seems eerily quiet. I will have to workout extra hard this week to take off pounds I put on by eating so much good food.
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by John McClain View Post
                My son got married this weekend, so we have had extended family visiting for the past few days. Naturally, and at their request, we have been taking them to several of the very good New Mexican restaurants in town for green chile in various dishes. Two points of discussion have come up in this context. The first is whether or not green chile is addictive. Certainly it is not physically addictive, but it is proven that the capsacin in the chile produces endorphins, which is probably one of the reasons it grows on you. Enchiladas, burritos, etc without green chile (and its mature version, red chile) just are not as good without the real deal. Cheeseburgers without green chile are pedestrian.
                The second discussion was a query as to why chile grown outside of New Mexico is not as tasty (even though chiles such as jalapenos can be much hotter, but not nearly as flavorful as a Hatch green chile). I can only conclude that it is like the French concept of terroir when manufacturing wine. It's all about the land. For some reason, New Mexico chiles are a cut above. In any event, it has been great to overdose on chile this weekend.
                I totally know what you mean. Have you ever tried the Southwestern Egg Rolls from Chili's? Yum! I can't get enough of Tex-Mex!

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                  I totally know what you mean. Have you ever tried the Southwestern Egg Rolls from Chili's? Yum! I can't get enough of Tex-Mex!
                  You are truly an offensive person.

I think it is addictive. There are many people here that won't eat foods that could be covered in chile without it. They just don't see the point. I have to agree with them.

Clearly your terroir point is right on. I always know when I have had Hatch red chile in part because of the trademark smoky, slightly bitter taste. But how i really know is when I can still taste it 30 minutes later and when it burns as much going out as it did going in. Talk about endorphins.

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                    You are truly an offensive person.

I think it is addictive. There are many people here that won't eat foods that could be covered in chile without it. They just don't see the point. I have to agree with them.

Clearly your terroir point is right on. I always know when I have had Hatch red chile in part because of the trademark smoky, slightly bitter taste. But how i really know is when I can still taste it 30 minutes later and when it burns as much going out as it did going in. Talk about endorphins.
                    Give him a break, dude lives in O-hi-o. You'd be pissy and bitter all the time too.
                    There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                    Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
                    And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by landpoke View Post
                      Give him a break, dude lives in O-hi-o. You'd be pissy and bitter all the time too.
                      That is true. At least for his sake he doesn'l live in W-Y-O.:wyoming:

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                        That is true. At least for his sake he doesn'l live in W-Y-O.:wyoming:
                        Man, you really hate him. I, on the other hand, want nothing but the best for yo-hio and hope that someday he's blessed enough to reside here in God's Country.

Tomorrow is Saturday

Comment

BTW, I'm ignoring you two. Way to ruin a great thread about chile fruits.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            BTW, I'm ignoring you two. Way to ruin a great thread about chile fruits.
                            It's ok man, everyone gets pwned from time to time. Well not me, but most everyone.

Tomorrow is Saturday

Comment

Originally posted by landpoke View Post
                              It's ok man, everyone gets pwned from time to time. Well not me, but most everyone.
                              I was pwned? Must have missed it. I did see two people, one from New Mexico and one from Wyoming, making fun of Ohio. It was super cute.

Comment

Working...
                              X