Thread: Addictive quality of the chile fruit

Default Addictive quality of the chile fruit

My son got married this weekend, so we have had extended family visiting for the past few days. Naturally, and at their request, we have been taking them to several of the very good New Mexican restaurants in town for green chile in various dishes. Two points of discussion have come up in this context. The first is whether or not green chile is addictive. Certainly it is not physically addictive, but it is proven that the capsacin in the chile produces endorphins, which is probably one of the reasons it grows on you. Enchiladas, burritos, etc without green chile (and its mature version, red chile) just are not as good without the real deal. Cheeseburgers without green chile are pedestrian.
    The second discussion was a query as to why chile grown outside of New Mexico is not as tasty (even though chiles such as jalapenos can be much hotter, but not nearly as flavorful as a Hatch green chile). I can only conclude that it is like the French concept of terroir when manufacturing wine. It's all about the land. For some reason, New Mexico chiles are a cut above. In any event, it has been great to overdose on chile this weekend.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

chile, limon y sal on fruit sure is addictive.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    chile, limon y sal on fruit sure is addictive.
    and on pepino! yum.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

Mi pepino es mas grande q' el tuyo.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    Mi pepino es mas grande q' el tuyo.
    El pepino no es tan importante como el chile ancho.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Princeps Inter Pares

Congratulations on the nuptials.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Congratulations on the nuptials.
    Thanks. With ten grandchildren having just left the house, it seems eerily quiet. I will have to workout extra hard this week to take off pounds I put on by eating so much good food.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by John McClain View Post
    My son got married this weekend, so we have had extended family visiting for the past few days. Naturally, and at their request, we have been taking them to several of the very good New Mexican restaurants in town for green chile in various dishes. Two points of discussion have come up in this context. The first is whether or not green chile is addictive. Certainly it is not physically addictive, but it is proven that the capsacin in the chile produces endorphins, which is probably one of the reasons it grows on you. Enchiladas, burritos, etc without green chile (and its mature version, red chile) just are not as good without the real deal. Cheeseburgers without green chile are pedestrian.
    The second discussion was a query as to why chile grown outside of New Mexico is not as tasty (even though chiles such as jalapenos can be much hotter, but not nearly as flavorful as a Hatch green chile). I can only conclude that it is like the French concept of terroir when manufacturing wine. It's all about the land. For some reason, New Mexico chiles are a cut above. In any event, it has been great to overdose on chile this weekend.
    I totally know what you mean. Have you ever tried the Southwestern Egg Rolls from Chili's? Yum! I can't get enough of Tex-Mex!

Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    I totally know what you mean. Have you ever tried the Southwestern Egg Rolls from Chili's? Yum! I can't get enough of Tex-Mex!
    You are truly an offensive person.

I think it is addictive. There are many people here that won't eat foods that could be covered in chile without it. They just don't see the point. I have to agree with them.

Clearly your terroir point is right on. I always know when I have had Hatch red chile in part because of the trademark smoky, slightly bitter taste. But how i really know is when I can still taste it 30 minutes later and when it burns as much going out as it did going in. Talk about endorphins.

Never once baby snatched landpoke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
    You are truly an offensive person.

I think it is addictive. There are many people here that won't eat foods that could be covered in chile without it. They just don't see the point. I have to agree with them.

Clearly your terroir point is right on. I always know when I have had Hatch red chile in part because of the trademark smoky, slightly bitter taste. But how i really know is when I can still taste it 30 minutes later and when it burns as much going out as it did going in. Talk about endorphins.
    Give him a break, dude lives in O-hi-o. You'd be pissy and bitter all the time too.
    There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
    Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
    And Sunday comes afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
    Give him a break, dude lives in O-hi-o. You'd be pissy and bitter all the time too.
    That is true. At least for his sake he doesn'l live in W-Y-O.

Quote Originally Posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
    That is true. At least for his sake he doesn'l live in W-Y-O.
    Man, you really hate him. I, on the other hand, want nothing but the best for yo-hio and hope that someday he's blessed enough to reside here in God's Country.

Tomorrow is Saturday

BTW, I'm ignoring you two. Way to ruin a great thread about chile fruits.

BTW, I'm ignoring you two. Way to ruin a great thread about chile fruits.
    It's ok man, everyone gets pwned from time to time. Well not me, but most everyone.

Tomorrow is Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
    It's ok man, everyone gets pwned from time to time. Well not me, but most everyone.
    I was pwned? Must have missed it. I did see two people, one from New Mexico and one from Wyoming, making fun of Ohio. It was super cute.

I was pwned? Must have missed it. I did see two people, one from New Mexico and one from Wyoming, making fun of Ohio. It was super cute.
    I was not making fun of Ohio. I was making fun of you and your buckeye sensibilities. You get more mennonite by the day.

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    If you're ever in Taos, 5 Star Burger does the green chile burger and fried chile strips right.

IMG_4713.jpg

For the Slim Jim crowd: Duke’s Hatch green chile smoked sausage sticks are worth a try.

https://www.dukesmeats.com/smoked-sh...es/green-chile
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    For the Slim Jim crowd: Duke’s Hatch green chile smoked sausage sticks are worth a try.

https://www.dukesmeats.com/smoked-sh...es/green-chile
    Kinda greasy
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I miss John McClain and his passion for green chiles.

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

We buy this stuff at Sam's Club. Very tasty. I use it on a variety of things, but mainly with eggs.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    We buy this stuff at Sam's Club. Very tasty. I use it on a variety of things, but mainly with eggs.

I'll keep an eye out for it, but I haven't seen it. May be unique to the Provo store.
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Kinda greasy
    You say that like it’s a bad thing.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

I know this says guacamole on it, but I don't really taste the avocado in it. It is mostly a tomatillo/green chile taste for me.

herdez-guacamole-salsa-med-57.jpg

I really like it and put it on a variety of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Copelius View Post
    I'll keep an eye out for it, but I haven't seen it. May be unique to the Provo store.
    This is good if you mix it with blue cheese dressing. But everything is good if you mix it with blue cheese dressing.

The last batch of green chile that I made was basically a perfection of my recipe that I've been tinkering with for several years. The thing that really took it to the next level was replacing some of the broth with beer (a nice balanced non-hoppy beer - I went with TF Brewing Ethereal). It really added to the depth of flavor in it.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

John McClain's son has been married for nearly 11 years! yowza!
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by Copelius View Post
    Found it. Good stuff.
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman