The PAC 10 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I think the Pac 10 would want Texas to reduce the number of death penalty killings per annum first.
    lol.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post

So yea, I would like to get in the PAC10 for the same reason I would like to date a girl I hear puts out. Reputation.
      Does said girl require cuddling or say a 60% revenue stake in the first 5 years of probationary NCMO?
      "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

I think the Pac 10 would want Texas to reduce the number of death penalty killings per annum first.
        California just barely did away with the gas chamber which was only slightly less humane than Florida's electric chair. California doesn't have any moral authority on this matter.
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

I can't think of a reason Texas would ever leave the Big 12.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            I can't think of a reason Texas would ever leave the Big 12.
            Are you serious? Texas could align itself with the California schools. Imagine going into a TV contract negotiation if you're Texas and only having the Big 12 states as your other TV markets. The Pac 10 controls Southern California, the Bay Area, Phoenix and Seattle. SoCal and the Bay Area dwarf any Big 12 market (maybe Houston and Dallas are bigger than the Bay Area) and Phoenix and Seattle are bigger markets than any Big 12 market outside of Texas.

The Pac 10 offers a helluva lot more than the Big 12 schools outside of the University of Texas.
            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

The PAC should add both Texas and BYU. Both teams could cite to a rich heritage of racial integration during their "progressive" phase of the 1970s.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                Are you serious? Texas could align itself with the California schools. Imagine going into a TV contract negotiation if you're Texas and only having the Big 12 states as your other TV markets. The Pac 10 controls Southern California, the Bay Area, Phoenix and Seattle. SoCal and the Bay Area dwarf any Big 12 market (maybe Houston and Dallas are bigger than the Bay Area) and Phoenix and Seattle are bigger markets than any Big 12 market outside of Texas.

The Pac 10 offers a helluva lot more than the Big 12 schools outside of the University of Texas.
                So money is the only reason eh?
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

2-4 hour plane flights to play any conference game in any sport might be a bit of a downer.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    The PAC should add both Texas and BYU. Both teams could cite to a rich heritage of racial integration during their "progressive" phase of the 1970s.
                    Has Texas apologized for decades of all-white teams? I think that should be a Pac 10 requirement. How about if Texas repudiates the infamous all-white NC in 1968? Also, it won in the poll because Dick Nixon declared Texas no. 1 in a telecon with Darrell Royal after that 15-14 Arkansas game.
                    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      So money is the only reason eh?
                      Texas knows that the conference is essentially itself and Oklahoma in football. Nebraska is beginning to become relevant again.

Moving to the Pac 10 would put itself in the same conference with USC which is a step up from being in the same conference with Oklahoma. It also gives it better access to California recruits. Texas already is in the cat bird's seat in its own state, but I would imagine that it would also like access to the second best recruiting hotbed in the country. From a competitive standpoint in football, moving to the Pac 10 isn't a move down.

Basketball, however, is a different story. The Big 12 is a much better basketball conference than the Pac 10. But I think football rules Texas.

Comment

Has Texas apologized for decades of all-white teams? I think that should be a Pac 10 requirement. How about if Texas repudiates the infamous all-white NC in 1968?
                        Apologized?

You are talking about a team that traditionally played its biggest game of the year in the "Cotton" bowl.

I don't anticipate any apologies on the horizon.

How crazy is it that BYU football was integrated before Texas football? What an embarrassment.

sigpic

Comment

It also gives it better access to California recruits. Texas already is in the cat bird's seat in its own state, but I would imagine that it would also like access to the second best recruiting hotbed in the country.
                          Texas seems to do ok with it's all Texas recruiting strategy.

Comment

Texas knows that the conference is essentially itself and Oklahoma in football. Nebraska is beginning to become relevant again.

Moving to the Pac 10 would put itself in the same conference with USC which is a step up from being in the same conference with Oklahoma. It also gives it better access to California recruits. Texas already is in the cat bird's seat in its own state, but I would imagine that it would also like access to the second best recruiting hotbed in the country. From a competitive standpoint in football, moving to the Pac 10 isn't a move down.

Basketball, however, is a different story. The Big 12 is a much better basketball conference than the Pac 10. But I think football rules Texas.
                            USC is a step up? I don't know if I buy that. Granted I'll concede that I think USC is a better program right now. But still that's a lateral move to me, when you consider the rivalry with OU.
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              2-4 hour plane flights to play any conference game in any sport might be a bit of a downer.
                              I'm sure an hour or two more on a plane wouldn't deter Texas from making more money and being in a better conference. It obviously didn't stop them from trying to join before. Also, I'm wondering if flying on a commercial jet to LA would take that much longer than some twin prop puddle jumper to Waco (I'm only partially kidding).

The Pac 10 will offer a spot to Texas together with aTm. I doubt it will come to fruition for the Pac 10. Many of the hillbillies in Big 12 country still think they have the best conference in the country and would view it as a step down. Prying Texas away from the Big 12 is a wholly different story from when Texas was trying to leave the SWC.

Comment

I think that culturally Texas in the Pac 10 would be as big a non-starter as BYU. Do they still play "The Eyes of Texas are Upon You" before their games instead of the Star Spangled Banner?
                                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Working...
                                X