The PAC 10 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    The Commish said they were considering it and were going to look into it...not that they were going to do it. The Pitt fan said it was going to happen. So yes, there is definitely a difference.

The B10 and P10 have moved in lockstep through many of these changes. This is an exciting story, no doubt, but unfortunately, will likely not come to fruition.

Clearly, the biggest order of priority is to secure a TV deal (something the B10 already has despite a lack of championship game). What good does expansion do the P10 without a distribution deal in place? ESPN already is in bed with the SEC, so the hope would have to be a pairing with someone like NBC....Notre Dame in the early afternoon followed by the PAC in the early evening. I think this is what the commish means when he says he is "looking into" things.

However, it is good to see where Ute fans really stand with regards to the P10. It is clear that Ute fans recognize the P10s athletic superiority. Guys like Crimson, foyero, et al...salivating at the chance to take road trips to all the P10 venues, dreaming about the chance to play superior competition each week...I think this has been a good development, regardless of how the story plays out. Now all the mid-major folks can stop pretending that mid-majors are on par with BCS conferences.
    I think this is more than just talk, the Pac 10 will clearly try to expand but whether they can get the teams they want is another story. Back in the mid 90s, they tried to get Texas and Colorado but both schools were already locked into new Big 12 and didn't want to leave the other 10 schools in the lurch.

The Pac 10 will make another overture to Texas. It wouldn't unnecessarily be dumb for Texas to move to the Pac 10 in light of the Pac 10's TV deal being done in 2012. Can you imagine what kind of TV deal a Pac 12 would demand if it controlled California and Texas? Texas is looking at a situation where the SEC is becoming increasingly more wealthy and competitive than the Big 12.

Texas and California are the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country (despite all the talk about Florida). Having the four California schools and two Texas schools in the same conference would give the conference dominance over both recruiting hotbeds. The Texas schools would pick up more California recruits and vice versa.

Unfortunately, I just don't see it happening. The Texas legislature figured out ways to exclude TCU and BYU in favor of Texas Tech and Baylor and I think the idea of Texas and aTm leaving the Big 12 would inspire the Texas legislature again to block the two schools from leaving.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Oh no I fuked up. When I found that poll Utah had 37%. Now the dweebs on CB have found it and they're voting over and over again.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Interesting note:

A well-placed source on the college landscape says that a bit before Scott came to the Pac-10, the league had an analysis done of expansion possibilities and concluded that a Colorado-Utah addition didn't really do all that much. And that realistically, nothing short of Texas would.
        http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...withers10.html

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          You know what, if the P10 dinks around it may lose Utah, Colorado and BYU to the Big 12. That would suck for the Pac 10. It's already lost a lot of cache with this basketball season and last football season and USC's crimes.
          Oh no!!! It's already happening!!!!

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_12[/ame]
          There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
          Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
          And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

Oh no I fuked up. When I found that poll Utah had 37%. Now the dweebs on CB have found it and they're voting over and over again.
            That was funny. You deserve this: LOL!
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
              I think this is more than just talk, the Pac 10 will clearly try to expand but whether they can get the teams they want is another story. Back in the mid 90s, they tried to get Texas and Colorado but both schools were already locked into new Big 12 and didn't want to leave the other 10 schools in the lurch.

The Pac 10 will make another overture to Texas. It wouldn't unnecessarily be dumb for Texas to move to the Pac 10 in light of the Pac 10's TV deal being done in 2012. Can you imagine what kind of TV deal a Pac 12 would demand if it controlled California and Texas? Texas is looking at a situation where the SEC is becoming increasingly more wealthy and competitive than the Big 12.

Texas and California are the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country (despite all the talk about Florida). Having the four California schools and two Texas schools in the same conference would give the conference dominance over both recruiting hotbeds. The Texas schools would pick up more California recruits and vice versa.

Unfortunately, I just don't see it happening. The Texas legislature figured out ways to exclude TCU and BYU in favor of Texas Tech and Baylor and I think the idea of Texas and aTm leaving the Big 12 would inspire the Texas legislature again to block the two schools from leaving.
              Cool. Why can't they add Florida while they're at it? That would be so awesome.
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I'm all for BYU joining the Pac10. I just don't see it ever happening. Best case is both BYU and Utah being invited to the Big12. I'm glad I'm not making decisions for the Pac10, as expansion is a dicey proposition right now. There simply aren't two teams that fill all their requirements (natural rivals, academics, athletics).

Most likely scenario: The Pac10 looks hard at expansion, decides against it, and anything that might happen BYU or Utah is due to Big 10/Big 12 machinations.

Comment

Crap.

Hopefully the Pac 10 chancellors don't see that poll. It could sway their voting!
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Seriously, I would be OK with adding Houston, BSU and someone else and staying with what we got.

Hanging out with the "research university" politically correct dweebs is actually a non cultural fit. I hate ASU, AU, UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal and Oregon. The only reason I would want to hang out with them is to kick their butts.

Think about it. These bozo's elect folks like Pelosi, Boxer, the babe up in Washington, Wideman. They have the lakers and the Hollywood crowd. I am starting to reconsider. Let them go out and research why bee's with bigger yellow stripes get to have sex with the queen bee first. I don't care.

Screw em. Give me the good ole Wyoming Cowboys.

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post
                      Most likely scenario: The Pac10 looks hard at expansion, decides against it, and anything that might happen BYU or Utah is due to Big 10/Big 12 machinations.
                      Yup.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

Crap.

Hopefully the Pac 10 chancellors don't see that poll. It could sway their voting!
                        I actually hope the chancellors make the decision without paying attention to input from anyone else. That way they will totally screw it up.

I took a poll of the clients I have who run businesses. They said they would allow some input from professors on how to better their businesses. They said they would hire security guards to keep college Presidents away.

Comment

Cool. Why can't they add Florida while they're at it? That would be so awesome.
                          Florida's too far away dumbass. Did you know that one side of Florida is on the Atlantic Ocean? Gosh you can be stupid sometimes.

Texas almost joined the Pac 10 once, but Stanford vetoed the idea. Apparently, at least back then, (this was during the early to mid 90s), expansion required the unanimous approval of the university presidents. It was an enormously stupid decision by Stanford. Texas's president at the time wanted to join the Pac 10 because of the academic reputation of the conference.

The issue now isn't whether the Pac 10 would take Texas; rather, could Texas make the move away from the Big 12 without pissing off its own fans and making the state legislature revolt against it. Moving away from the SWC was one thing, moving away from the Big 12 is another. IMO, moving to the Pac 10 from the Big 12 is a step up if you're Texas. The other Big 12 states don't do much for Texas, but California does do something for Texas. It effectively creates a conference to counter the growing power of the SEC.
                          Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 02-10-2010, 02:24 PM.
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                            Seriously, I would be OK with adding Houston, BSU and someone else and staying with what we got.

Hanging out with the "research university" politically correct dweebs is actually a non cultural fit. I hate ASU, AU, UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal and Oregon. The only reason I would want to hang out with them is to kick their butts.

Think about it. These bozo's elect folks like Pelosi, Boxer, the babe up in Washington, Wideman. They have the lakers and the Hollywood crowd. I am starting to reconsider. Let them go out and research why bee's with bigger yellow stripes get to have sex with the queen bee first. I don't care.

Screw em. Give me the good ole Wyoming Cowboys.
                            I know you are just messin with this post.

If there is anyone that has been vocal about not wanting to watch crappy teams on BYUs schedule, it has been you. And you have been correct, btw. At least imo.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                              Florida's too far away dumbass. Did you know that one side of Florida is on the Atlantic Ocean? Gosh you can be stupid sometimes.

Texas almost joined the Pac 10 once, but Stanford vetoed the idea. Apparently, at least back then, (this was during the early to mid 90s), expansion required the unanimous approval of the university presidents. Texas's president at the time wanted to join the Pac 10 because of the academic reputation of the conference.

The issue now isn't whether the Pac 10 would take Texas; rather, could Texas make the move away from the Big 12 without pissing off its own fans and making the state legislature revolt against it. Moving away from the SWC was one thing, moving away from the Big 12 is another. IMO, moving to the Pac 10 from the Big 12 is a step up if you're Texas. The other Big 12 states don't do much for Texas, but California does do something for Texas. It effectively creates a conference to counter the growing power of the SEC.
                              I think the Pac 10 would want Texas to reduce the number of death penalty killings per annum first.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I know you are just messin with this post.

If there is anyone that has been vocal about not wanting to watch crappy teams on BYUs schedule, it has been you. And you have been correct, btw. At least imo.
                                You got me and you are right about what I have said. However, right here an now I am trying to distinguish reputation vs crappy.

Stanford reputation, actually very average athletically
                                UCLA reputation, ditto
                                Washington State sucks period
                                Washington reputation, average athletically
                                Oregon very good
                                USC very good
                                ASU average or worse, UNLV beat them
                                AU up and coming
                                Cal good
                                Oregon State Utah and BYU beat em, reputation

So yea, I would like to get in the PAC10 for the same reason I would like to date a girl I hear puts out. Reputation.

Comment

Working...
                                X