Sous Vide cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
    So I wanted to try my Anova for Christmas dinner and found NY Strip roast (choice) on sale for $5.49/lb. I bought a 7.5# roast as it looked about the right size for the bags. Rub and truss with salt, pepper, garlic, mustard, thyme, and olive oil.

Cook at 131 for 5h then sear the sides for 90s each. Slice and serve with mashed potatoes and pan gravy.

Very tender and very flavorful.
    Looks great. NY strip has been super cheap lately. Not sure why.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      I tried out my present from santa... cooked up some center cut tenderloins at the Lebowski recommended temperature of 134 then seared them in my cast iron pan. Awesome!

I didn't go with the JL recommendation on the bluetooth-only unit however and pulled the trigger on the wifi unit with the extra 100 watts. I haven't figured out what the wifi is good for yet but those extra 100 watts make me feel good about spending the extra $20.

I want to try poached eggs... I love eggs benedict. Does anyone have a good "how to" on how to do these with the Anova?
      The extra 100 watts will come in handy if you ever get the urge to do something big. Like a prime rib roast. That is probably worth the extra $20.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
        2. With chicken breast, I see recommendation for 140. But I thought poultry was unsafe below 160 or so. Traditionally they say 165, but I cook my turkeys to 160. I've never heard you can go that low though.
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        The 160-165 guideline has a big safety factor built in. This recognizes the fact that the temps will vary throughout the meat when you cook/grill using traditional methods. You can get away with lower temps with chicken/pork on the sous vide because the temps are consistent throughout and you hold the temps there for a period of time.
        A little late on this, but to back up what the Dude said, see the chart below. 165 is recommended because salmonella is basically killed immediately at that temperature. However, you can do just as thorough a job killing them at lower temperatures, as long as you hold the food at that temperature longer. So at 140, as long as it is held for 27.5 minutes, it is just as pasteurized as if you had cooked it to 165.

More info here:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/t...en-breast.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
          A little late on this, but to back up what the Dude said, see the chart below. 165 is recommended because salmonella is basically killed immediately at that temperature. However, you can do just as thorough a job killing them at lower temperatures, as long as you hold the food at that temperature longer. So at 140, as long as it is held for 27.5 minutes, it is just as pasteurized as if you had cooked it to 165.

More info here:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/t...en-breast.html
          I feel like if we staged an intervention for my mother in law with Martha Stewart, Paula Deen, Rush Limbaugh, Mitt Romney, Glenn Beck, Dr. Phil, and Thomas S. Monson trying to convince her of this, she would still not believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            I feel like if we staged an intervention for my mother in law with Martha Stewart, Paula Deen, Rush Limbaugh, Mitt Romney, Glenn Beck, Dr. Phil, and Thomas S. Monson trying to convince her of this, she would still not believe.
            I'm so glad my wife didn't see the pork chops I cooked last night. The idea of any pink showing when it comes to pork would have set her off sterilizing the kitchen. But I had some awesome pork chops that were a full two inches thick and at 140 degrees, they were perfect (actually a little less pink than how they look in the pics):

"It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• So I'm basically a huge follower, and after jealously following this thread and wanting in the club, we finally got an Anova. Did our first cook tonight.

I got home about 8:15 and the NY strips were just finishing up before the sear. I'm going to be honest: it looked like prison food. We seared in avocado oil/salt/pepper... and those gray little slabs of meat turned into the best steak I've (well, my wife) ever made.

We typically do steak on our Yoder, and I like the smoked/grilled taste a lot. But sous vide was an order of magnitude more tender.

Did a side of fresh green beans and baked potato. Fantastic dinner to come home to. Many thanks to all thread contributors, except YOhio who mocked and should be mourning.
              "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                So I'm basically a huge follower, and after jealously following this thread and wanting in the club, we finally got an Anova. Did our first cook tonight.

I got home about 8:15 and the NY strips were just finishing up before the sear. I'm going to be honest: it looked like prison food. We seared in avocado oil/salt/pepper... and those gray little slabs of meat turned into the best steak I've (well, my wife) ever made.

We typically do steak on our Yoder, and I like the smoked/grilled taste a lot. But sous vide was an order of magnitude more tender.

Did a side of fresh green beans and baked potato. Fantastic dinner to come home to. Many thanks to all thread contributors, except YOhio who mocked and should be mourning.
                Damn you all. You got me to buy a smoker and now I am going to have to buy an Anova as well.

Comment

• KC's pork chops look tasty, but if I made them, I would be the only person in the house to eat any. That won't necessarily stop me.

Comment

KC's pork chops look tasty, but if I made them, I would be the only person in the house to eat any. That won't necessarily stop me.
                    Your family is jewish?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Your family is jewish?
                      They may as well be. Sunday I cooked up some nice bacon to go on sandwiches, and two members of the family wouldn't eat any because the fat wasn't completely burned off.

Comment

They may as well be. Sunday I cooked up some nice bacon to go on sandwiches, and two members of the family wouldn't eat any because the fat wasn't completely burned off.
                        Dude, I am so sorry.

Comment

Wrong thread
                          http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...84#post1303484
                          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post

Comment

• I was curious but not equipped. I had grabbed a package of New York strips from the Smith's clearance Saturday and threw them in my food saver and then in the freezer. I grabbed a two pack out today and threw them in a pot. My fully hot tap water comes out at 133 degrees. My stove kept that temp within 1 degree the 8 different times I put a thermometer in the water. 150 minutes later, 45 seconds on each side on my cast iron I had a finished product. I put a little smoked alder salt and a pat of my homemade roasted garlic butter. Very tasty. Now that I know that my gas stove will maintain the temp, it will be much easier in the future.
                              A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Did a cheap rump roast at 132 for about 18 hours for french dip sandwiches. Absolutely perfect outcome. By far the best success we've had with that cut of meat.

Comment

Working...
                                X