No announcement yet.

Sous Vide cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I wanted to try my Anova for Christmas dinner and found NY Strip roast (choice) on sale for $5.49/lb. I bought a 7.5# roast as it looked about the right size for the bags. Rub and truss with salt, pepper, garlic, mustard, thyme, and olive oil.

Cook at 131 for 5h then sear the sides for 90s each. Slice and serve with mashed potatoes and pan gravy.

Very tender and very flavorful.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

I opened my Christmas present early and cooked Christmas Eve dinner. Best steak I've cooked at home. Filet Mignon from Snider's, sous vide for 45 minutes to 134 degrees then seared in a cast-iron skillet heated on my grill outside to minimize the smoke inside. I literally cut my steak with my fork.

"It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Inspired by this thread, and by a visiting son-in-law, I bought the Anova and tonight it made its debut with some serious surf and turf.

sous vide.jpg

In addition to showing me how to cook both proteins at the same time, our SIL bought us a mandoline and prep'd shoestring fries to go along with artichokes and a variety of sauces (aioli, among others, was superb). Somewhere on the table was a tossed salad that didn't see much action. Great meal, and our household welcomes a new way to cook.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          Inspired by this thread, and by a visiting son-in-law, I bought the Anova and tonight it made its debut with some serious surf and turf.

[ATTACH]7638[/ATTACH]

In addition to showing me how to cook both proteins at the same time, our SIL bought us a mandoline and prep'd shoestring fries to go along with artichokes and a variety of sauces (aioli, among others, was superb). Somewhere on the table was a tossed salad that didn't see much action. Great meal, and our household welcomes a new way to cook.
          Love my mandoline. Only took a couple times slicing off a bit of my thumb to admit that using the protective tool was a good idea.
          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

I'm in!

Results so far:
            --ribeye steak. Very good. I always order my steaks rare, and I've never felt it wasn't cooked enough for my taste and usually think it should be more rare. So I tried it at 124. It was good but probably a little too rare. Do sous vide temperatures compare the same to temperatures with traditional cooking?
            --smoked salmon. salted heavy and put in some liquid smoke and marinated at cold temperature for an hour, then cooked at 105 for 40 minutes, then back into cold for a couple hours. It called for six hours I think, but I couldn't wait. Very good flavor, sushi like with smoke taste. But the texture didn't hold and turned to mush. Maybe I marinated too long before "cooking"?
            --poached eggs

The only down side is the time involved. Usually when I cook, I want it right away. For meal preparation that is planned out, it will be great.

Couple questions:
            1. Has anyone tried eating a steak without finishing it first?
            2. With chicken breast, I see recommendation for 140. But I thought poultry was unsafe below 160 or so. Traditionally they say 165, but I cook my turkeys to 160. I've never heard you can go that low though.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              Couple questions:
              1. Has anyone tried eating a steak without finishing it first?
              Gross. No.

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              2. With chicken breast, I see recommendation for 140. But I thought poultry was unsafe below 160 or so. Traditionally they say 165, but I cook my turkeys to 160. I've never heard you can go that low though.
              The 160-165 guideline has a big safety factor built in. This recognizes the fact that the temps will vary throughout the meat when you cook/grill using traditional methods. You can get away with lower temps with chicken/pork on the sous vide because the temps are consistent throughout and you hold the temps there for a period of time.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I tried out my present from santa... cooked up some center cut tenderloins at the Lebowski recommended temperature of 134 then seared them in my cast iron pan. Awesome!

I didn't go with the JL recommendation on the bluetooth-only unit however and pulled the trigger on the wifi unit with the extra 100 watts. I haven't figured out what the wifi is good for yet but those extra 100 watts make me feel good about spending the extra $20.

I want to try poached eggs... I love eggs benedict. Does anyone have a good "how to" on how to do these with the Anova?
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

With sous vide cooking, do you need to let the meat sit after cooking to let the juices settle, like with normal cooking? If so, same amount of time or less?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    I tried out my present from santa... cooked up some center cut tenderloins at the Lebowski recommended temperature of 134 then seared them in my cast iron pan. Awesome!

I didn't go with the JL recommendation on the bluetooth-only unit however and pulled the trigger on the wifi unit with the extra 100 watts. I haven't figured out what the wifi is good for yet but those extra 100 watts make me feel good about spending the extra $20.

I want to try poached eggs... I love eggs benedict. Does anyone have a good "how to" on how to do these with the Anova?
                    The guide in the app says 145 for 45 minutes. I did that and they were perfect.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                      With sous vide cooking, do you need to let the meat sit after cooking to let the juices settle, like with normal cooking? If so, same amount of time or less?
                      No. You don't need to do that with normal cooking. It is a myth that has been debunked.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        No. You don't need to do that with normal cooking. It is a myth that has been debunked.
                        Mind blown. Alright.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Gross. No.
                          Don't listen to him, Santos. They're doing it at all the best restaurants and it's super delicious.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            Don't listen to him, Santos. They're doing it at all the best restaurants and it's super delicious.
                            I'm about to. Took my sous vide with me to the office and about to eat an unfinished filet. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                              gtfo

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                                Mind blown. Alright.
                                Here you go:

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ting_meat.html

EDIT: Be sure to note the difference between resting a steak before cutting and holding a large, slow-cooked chunk of beef. You should still hold your pork butts, briskets etc for a few hours to enhance flavor. But eat that steak right away.
                                Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 12-30-2016, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X